Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#18 UB @ Bowling Green (2/1 - 8:00pm ET)

Jeseph

3 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Jordan going coast to coast, down 3 with 27 ticks was beyond cruel. 

I walked away from tv before the finish. I couldn’t stomach watching this team sleepwalk through the second half. And I honestly don’t understand Harris getting so many minutes, so not happy with Oats right now. 

1.) Save me the bullshit about effort, you weren't watching the same game if you're questioning that.

2.) Harris is struggling but he's still our 3rd best player, benching him isn't the answer. Especially if you're one of the cynical people here that think we have to win the tourney. If that's our only chance than our biggest concern should be getting Harris hot for the tourney (we're still an at Large team tho)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trueblue32 said:

1.) Save me the bullshit about effort, you weren't watching the same game if you're questioning that.

2.) Harris is struggling but he's still our 3rd best player, benching him isn't the answer. Especially if you're one of the cynical people here that think we have to win the tourney. If that's our only chance than our biggest concern should be getting Harris hot for the tourney (we're still an at Large team tho)

You watch the first half and the second half and tell me that was the same team dedicating themselves on defense.  Tell me that, and I'll tell you that you're a liar.

Edited by UBigbobby

2 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Sky is * falling

*not

Lot of games left. 

It is possible to break down a single game without tossing out the whole season.  Problem is you're so afraid of or adverse to any criticism of a performance from this team that you resort to this kind of hyperbole and straw man to try and dismiss any actual discussion of the game.  

Edited by UBigbobby

I think we will drop out of the top 25 and that’s for the best. We head into a week off with a lot to work on.

I’m gonna take the bright side and say that it’s tough to win on the road when you are the hunted. We lost ourselves in the 2nd half but still had a chance to tie. All this adversity I feel and hope will make us stronger come the MAC tournament.

That said let’s use to week to refocus, work on ball control and free throw shooting. And finding Harris who has seemingly been mia all year.

With this loss we’ll drop out of the Top 25. That might be a good thing, but it pisses me off because we are better than the crap show we brought in the 2nd half tonight (and it also pisses me off that teams with 5-6 losses will remain in the Top 25). As for an at large bid, MAC commish said we are 8th ranked conference - that’s not exactly a strong argument for a second team in the tournament. 

Edited by ubfan75
Typo

They certainly tried hard.. but they executed extremely poorly. Jordan can’t be on the court in a tight game shooting 30%. That’s on Nate. 

Jeremy Harris is cold, you gotta sub him for McRae. We have holes.. our ft shooting is some of the worst I ever seen and perkins is a def liability. Smart teams should be able to bring it to us despite our overall talent. I am afraid we have been figured out..

I don’t even care as much about tonight’s game, which I’m furious about, as the fact that I don’t see is running the table in MAC play. As good as this team can be and we might not even be a top seed in our conference tournament. 3 losses doesn’t look bad on paper but we have 2 inexcusable losses and they’re going to potentially ruin a magical season.

4 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Realistically show me a harder working backcourt in the country than Jordan, Caruthers and Massinburg and we can have this conversation.

When they're playing well and have their heads on straight I'm not sure there is one!  Problem recently has been that the team in general has been taking halves or long stretches of halves off on defense.  It's not about quality, it's about consistency.  They're still fantastic, but the team just goes to sleep on D for long stretches, especially recently.

The Loss to Marquette: Ran into a buzz saw. The loss to NIU: a fluke possibly affected by the way the game was called. This loss: Many things to pick on but it boils down to giving up 53 second half points. Any additional loss in MAC play takes this team closer to Bubbleland.

4 minutes ago, ubfan75 said:

As for an at large bid, MAC commish said we are 7th ranked conference - that’s not exactly a strong argument for a second team in the tournament. 

Assuming he meant NET? But in KenPom the 7th ranked conference has gotten *at least* (in most cases more) 2 bids every year in the last decade. Granted the MAC is currently 9th in KP.

2 minutes ago, squire17 said:

The Loss to Marquette: Ran into a buzz saw. The loss to NIU: a fluke possibly affected by the way the game was called. This loss: Many things to pick on but it boils down to giving up 53 second half points. Any additional loss in MAC play takes this team closer to Bubbleland.

Even as of right now, if the season ended today, this is an at-large team.  That isn't even a debate.  Problem is, as Derek said, this is still a long season and they've been starting to trend in the wrong direction.  Good thing is the errors that are costing them are absolutely fixable.  Except Jordan's free throws which are a lost cause.  However, the last couple of weeks the team seems hell bent on playing themselves out of the tournament on onto the bubble, which is worrying.

Edited by UBigbobby

8 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

When they're playing well and have their heads on straight I'm not sure there is one!  Problem recently has been that the team in general has been taking halves or long stretches of halves off on defense.  It's not about quality, it's about consistency.  They're still fantastic, but the team just goes to sleep on D for long stretches, especially recently.

Hard disagree to be honest. Our fast style of play is going to lead to seem easy buckets here and there but overall I think our defense is fine. With the MAC as competitive as it is the margin is razor thin and with a team this good we're going to run into hot teams in front of record crowds. Someday people will understand shots going in on a given day isn't necessarily an indictment on the defense. https://theathletic.com/720048/2018/12/18/kenpom-shooting-and-defending-the-3-is-random-business-i-e-relax-its-early/

Edited by trueblue32

Uhh... where to begin... don’t like the message boards complaints about lack of effort.  They played.  Agree Jordan is now in the ‘hack a shaq’ realm. He can’t be on the court when the game is close.  Which is unfortunate giving everything else he does.  Almost posted that the other night when we substituted Segu in late to take the obvious free throws.  Saying we need to take Harris off the court is silly.  Your  asking a head coach to be a fortune teller.  Sucks it happened but... who are you going to put your bets on?  I’ll take Harris, to bad tonight I’d be wrong.  They did a great job of playing the pass and forcing UB to shoot.  Normally we pass our shooters open.

anytime I pick an ESPN SFTC prop, pick against it....

At large wise? We now have to root both BGSU and NIU to win from this point out.  Not done yet but the margin is slim.  Ranking wise..?  Fun but do we care? True fans know we are fighting for a banner, not a number.  Hang a beautiful banner.  Please.