Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#18 UB @ Bowling Green (2/1 - 8:00pm ET)

Jeseph

3 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Assuming he meant NET? But in KenPom the 7th ranked conference has gotten *at least* (in most cases more) 2 bids every year in the last decade. Granted the MAC is currently 9th in KP.

Typo. MAC is 8th ranked. Not sure if that changes anything.

Here we go again. We lose another game, tightly, on the road, to a good team, to a team that shot lights out in the 2nd half, and some people just want to criticize everyone on the squad. That game was quite enjoyable to watch (until the last several minutes, where it hurt).  We out-rebound the top rebounding team in the league by 9, and people criticize the team's effort. That's just ridiculous. Isn't is possible that a team can lose a game and not have their fans talk trash about them? Too many turnovers? Heck yes. I mean, no, I'm not happy, nor did I expect them to lose this game. I have to give BG credit for defending their home floor, especially when they were down pretty big at halftime. We'll finish with 16 wins in league and BG won't have more than 14, that's been my prediction for a couple of weeks, and I'm standing by it. 

Great game by CJ, as he has in every tightly contested game, been THE guy in the final minutes, and just showing up huge. Dontay was great in every spot, other than some out of control turnovers, but 30 points, wow. 

8 days until the next game. Good time to reload and get ready for the next 10. As I've said before, it's hard to win games...the other team is trying to win too! It's not as though we're playing teams that are THAT far beneath us. This league is very solid and losses can occur. 5 of the last 9 are home and the schedule surely looks favorable the rest of the way. 

• Like 3

Just now, UBigbobby said:

Even as of right now, if the season ended today, this is an at-large team.  That isn't even a debate.  Problem is, as Derek said, this is still a long season and they've been starting to trend in the wrong direction.  Good thing is the errors that are costing them are absolutely fixable.  Except Jordan's free throws which are a lost cause.

I think this loss takes UB to an 8 seed. For every additional loss, expect another bump down. When you get to an 11, you’re on the bubble. Could the Bulls run the table from here? Sure, but I would bet they won’t. But as someone else has pointed out, there’s still a lot of basketball to be played. But wow...that second half was brutal.

BG is good, especially in their barn. This loss hurts but it’s not a terrible loss.  I bet many high Major teams would lose games at UB and at BG if they ever had to guts to schedule them. 

Anyway, it’s noticeable that UB plays it’s best ball when they seem to struggle a bit in the first half and make a big push in the 2nd.  They become Locked in.  In their losses, it has gone the exact opposite. 

One of the big issues aside from TOs, FT shooting and Harris...is that we don’t have a reliable backup PG. Keep in mind Jordan missed a large stretch bc of foul trouble. When that happens it thrust the ball handling responsibilities to Segu, CJ and or Caruthers. Segu can steal you minutes but he’s a freshman, Caruthers can get out of control at times and we want CJ playing off the ball. As of result of Jordan’s foul trouble our offense went stagnant and our defense had lapses. Both happened at the same time and thus you had what happened happen.

I hope the pressure of being ranked get lifted off the teams shoulders and we can use the next week as chance to practice on fundamentals and rest and refocus. 

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I hope the pressure of being ranked get lifted off the teams shoulders and we can use the next week as chance to practice on fundamentals and rest and refocus. 

Is it a guarantee that they drop out of the top 25? I still think they could hang on (I think it's close). 8 days off comes at a perfect time however. A chance to rest up any issues and get back to work at home next Saturday.

8 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Is it a guarantee that they drop out of the top 25? I still think they could hang on (I think it's close). 8 days off comes at a perfect time however. A chance to rest up any issues and get back to work at home next Saturday.

No it’s not a given we drop out but this would be the perfect time for the voters to be like “see they were a cute story now let’s rank the bubble P5 teams.” Major conference bias. Plus a week of not playing will help us regroup but out of sight is out of mind to the voters.

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

I mean UB let up 53 points in the 2nd half. BG didnt miss, UB didnt defend and turned the ball over 17 times. 

Jordan being on the court is criminal when you still have the 1-1. An oversight from Oats forgetting he has a 29% FT shooter. 

I don't understand how it's even possible for a guard (or anyone for that matter) to be this bad at shooting free throws. Hell, even Shaq was over 50% for his career. 

Good old fashioned butt whooping in second half. Where or where has the defense gone? Giving up 50+ points to any team in 20 minutes is inexcusable. The good news now every MAC team thinks we’re overrated. This is when character reveals itself or disappears. Time to blow the doors off the rest of the MAC! Go Bulls!

Edited by UB85

Yep, let’s win the MAC tourney. Gotta admit, I cringed a couple weeks ago when Coach Oats was interviewed and openly talking about NCAA seeding and the Bulls maybe deserving a 5 seed.  

Too many signs that they were going to be pushed hard in MAC play. And now after a couple losses and plenty of tough games left,  the NCAA’s don’t seem like a given anymore.

13 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

One of the big issues aside from TOs, FT shooting and Harris...is that we don’t have a reliable backup PG. Keep in mind Jordan missed a large stretch bc of foul trouble. When that happens it thrust the ball handling responsibilities to Segu, CJ and or Caruthers. Segu can steal you minutes but he’s a freshman, Caruthers can get out of control at times and we want CJ playing off the ball. As of result of Jordan’s foul trouble our offense went stagnant and our defense had lapses. Both happened at the same time and thus you had what happened happen.

To sum of the loss as as been stated  is right on the money. 3 missed free throws in the last couple minutes, turnovers and lack of confidence by Harris along with another sub par game from Perkins against a good BG team spell defeat. Harris shooting seems to have turned into a mental breakdown as each shot does not go in. And yes Jordan not even coming close to improving his foul shots is proving a big time disaster. Confident Nate and coaching staff will get it turned around. Still confident in these players and looking forward to the remaining games. Go Bulls!!!!!

• Like 1

What bothers me most , I think, is the damn selection committee is so biased I think UB could win out from here and still maybe 'only' be an 8 seed. If a mid major gives them any reason whatsoever to downgrade them they will. Its discouraging but i guess that's why they play the games.

39 minutes ago, pottier25 said:

What bothers me most , I think, is the damn selection committee is so biased I think UB could win out from here and still maybe 'only' be an 8 seed. If a mid major gives them any reason whatsoever to downgrade them they will. Its discouraging but i guess that's why they play the games.

Which is also why I think we won’t get ranked this week.

27 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Which is also why I think we won’t get ranked this week.

UB is still ranked in the NET. Perhaps they shouldn’t, but they are. The only way for the Bulls to hold or improve their standing is to win out. Any, and every, loss will knock them down - and deservedly so. You can’t lose to NIU and BG - two nothingburgers - and expect to retain your pedigree. 

On 2/1/2019 at 10:40 PM, squire17 said:

I think this loss takes UB to an 8 seed. For every additional loss, expect another bump down. When you get to an 11, you’re on the bubble. Could the Bulls run the table from here? Sure, but I would bet they won’t. But as someone else has pointed out, there’s still a lot of basketball to be played. But wow...that second half was brutal.

Definitely don’t want an 8 seed, and 9 is only slightly better. Almost a guarantee of one win and out. Either a 10 seed or a 7 please. Probably don’t have to worry about it but wouldn’t want to be a 5 seed either. 

10 minutes ago, yussi1870 said:

Definitely don’t want an 8 seed, and 9 is only slightly better. Almost a guarantee of one win and out. Either a 10 seed or a 7 please. Probably don’t have to worry about it but wouldn’t want to be a 5 seed either. 

How can a 9 seed be slightly better than an 8 seed?

44 minutes ago, squire17 said:

UB is still ranked in the NET. Perhaps they shouldn’t, but they are. The only way for the Bulls to hold or improve their standing is to win out. Any, and every, loss will knock them down - and deservedly so. You can’t lose to NIU and BG - two nothingburgers - and expect to retain your pedigree. 

I agree. Which again is why we prolly won’t be ranked in the polls this week. The net is a metric with factors that play in our favor. But pollsters have always given the benefit of the doubt to the major schools as opposed to us.

Its going to be nice to just get back to basketball.

1 hour ago, MillenniumBull said:

Yeah I was just going to let that go.

Isn’t it crazy and yet exciting talking about seeds and top 25 rankings!!! All our family wants is for our team to play good, competitive all out effort basketball and let the results speak for themselves. It is till an exciting time to be a UB supporter and see the excitement level at an all time high!!! We see games all over the country where star players have off games so lets keep our positive vibes going for our players to turn it up a notch in the remaining games. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1