Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Leipold Extended

BrooklynBull

This seems a bit quick given that almost half of LL's wins came this year (a season that ended in a pretty bad downturn) and a chunk of talent leaving. I would have liked to see what LL and staff were able to do this coming season first but 🤷🏻‍♂️

31 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

This seems a bit quick given that almost half of LL's wins came this year (a season that ended in a pretty bad downturn) and a chunk of talent leaving. I would have liked to see what LL and staff were able to do this coming season first but 🤷🏻‍♂️

Having a couple above average sophomore running backs certainly is a start. :classic_biggrin:

41 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

That is great news.  

Time will tell. Will be interesting to see what our quarterback and receiving situation looks like. Interesting to see if LL and the coaching staff will change their offensive and defensive philosophies. Disappointed in both schemes in the 2nd half of year against the better teams. A very conservative approach on both sides of the ball and were out coached. Do they have  They really need an upgrade in the kicking game. Go Bulls!!!!!

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

The extension was done now because there were only two years left on his contract.  http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/20160420lbywuc He was renewed through 2020 after his first season.  Not renewing him now would make it easy for him to jump as the buyout is probably low right now.  The extension ups the buyout and helps with recruiting because recruits will know that he has a contract through 2023 (in my opinion that is not much of a cushion because that does not take him through the five years of the kids signing tomorrow.  Look for another extension next year after another good season.

26 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Was this threat imminent?

With only FCS, DI and DIII head coaching jobs still open, no.  But leaving to be a coordinator at a higher level may still have been open some place.  Also there are NFL staffs to be filled and you never know when someone may make a call.  The coaching fraternity is small and everyone knows someone who knows someone.  That person could say why do not you give a call to Coach X.  Next thing you know Coach X is gone.

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

Not renewing him now would make it easy for him to jump as the buyout is probably low right now.

Under the terms of his old contract, the buyout was the total base salary outstanding on the contract.  His base salary was $250k a year (with $400k a year guaranteed). 

The question is how this new deal is structured and if it really raised the buyout or not.

3 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Under the terms of his old contract, the buyout was the total base salary outstanding on the contract.  His base salary was $250k a year (with $400k a year guaranteed). 

The question is how this new deal is structured and if it really raised the buyout or not.

$1m is the buyout then it drops to ~$800k, if I remember correctly.

18 hours ago, John said:

Time will tell. Will be interesting to see what our quarterback and receiving situation looks like. Interesting to see if LL and the coaching staff will change their offensive and defensive philosophies. Disappointed in both schemes in the 2nd half of year against the better teams. A very conservative approach on both sides of the ball and were out coached. Do they have  They really need an upgrade in the kicking game. Go Bulls!!!!!

If Lance had any sniffs from bigger D1 programs, the last 4 -5 games quashed it.

6 hours ago, promotherobot said:

If Lance had any sniffs from bigger D1 programs, the last 4 -5 games quashed it.

I agree but we never know who he knows in the coaching fraternity. The games against better quality teams we were out played and out coached. This will be the year if he learns from his mistakes in those games. Go Bulls!!!!

19 hours ago, John said:

I agree but we never know who he knows in the coaching fraternity. The games against better quality teams we were out played and out coached. This will be the year if he learns from his mistakes in those games. Go Bulls!!!!

He's a smart, methodical football coach  I'm sure he will learn from past experiences.  Most coaches will.  But the fact is the results may not be as good in 2019.  Or a better way to put it is the team may not be as experienced in skill positions as it has been and therefore may take 1 step back.   That's college football though.  Guys leave or graduate and the program has to reload.  I think we're in good hands for the future and it would be a nice improvement if the Bulls can win 3 of their final 4 games,,,,rather than what we saw in 2018.  

20 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:
5 hours ago, ChicagoBull said:

Extensions are necessary to keep recruits interested.  The buyout clause is what really tells you how likely he is to stay.  

20 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

I don't think this is true. I think agents have spoken this into existence, but kids dont care. 

The lack of long term contracts are used to recruit against schools all the time.  Also the age of the coach is used to recruit against schools.  Kirk Herbstreit talks about how he was told that Peterno was too old and would never be there when he finished at Penn State.

True, however somehow you never hear about athletes worried about a coach getting poached. In our situation it's way more likely that Leipold is poached than we let his contract expire and don't re-sign him. 

I think kids aren't naive enough to believe the contract matters. If the coach does well he rips it up, if he does poorly, the university rips it up.

I think that messaging is solely targeted to ADs, because you negotiate a 5 year deal, then 2 years later are told you have to extend or you'll lose recruits, and if the coach is bad, you can't let him crash your fan base for an entire Undergrad cycle, thus every deal is effectively only 2-3 years but the buyout is always 5 years.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

True, however somehow you never hear about athletes worried about a coach getting poached. In our situation it's way more likely that Leipold is poached than we let his contract expire and don't re-sign him. 

I think kids aren't naive enough to believe the contract matters. If the coach does well he rips it up, if he does poorly, the university rips it up.

I think that messaging is solely targeted to ADs, because you negotiate a 5 year deal, then 2 years later are told you have to extend or you'll lose recruits, and if the coach is bad, you can't let him crash your fan base for an entire Undergrad cycle, thus every deal is effectively only 2-3 years but the buyout is always 5 years.

Agreed.  It is quite naive for athletes and their families to think that the coach who recruits them will be there when they graduate. 

Of the coaches in the link below, exactly half have been hired in the last three years!   27 in 2019, 20 in 2018, 18 in 2017.  

Only 37 were hired in 2015 or earlier.  Only 26 were hired in 2013 or earlier, but exactly half of them (13) were hired in 2008 or earlier.  I

In other words, if the coach who is recruiting you has already been there for a few years, but less than 10, watch out!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_coaches

P.S.  And that is the head coaches who are the most stable.  To expect that an assistant coach will stay is downright dumb.  

Edited by ChicagoBull