Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#25 UB @ Toledo (2/15 - 7:00pm ET)

Jeseph

TV Coverage: ESPNU

Well, this is a huge one. Yet again we play a team off their bye, on the road.

Toledo has played really well since we faced them and will want revenge for game one. I expect this one to be wide open. Have to defend Sanford and Navigato again and will need and answer for Knapke inside.

Bulls win by 8

• Jeseph pinned this topic

First team to 90 wins. I expect a track meet. To echo my fellow board members...this game is ginormous. A chance at a quad 1 victory. Resume booster. Oh yea and it’s a conference road game. Do we even know what life at home is like. Feels like all we play is road games. 

If we bring the turnover number down to just 12 and play solid defense we will win. But Toledo is coming off their bye out for revenge and I expect a way more hostile environment than Akron. That was pathetic turnout for Akron. 

Also...can someone find the real Jeremy Harris. 

We've had some big tests this season with varying results:

USF (neutral) - W
Syracuse (road) - W
Marquette (road) - L
BGSU (road) - L
Toledo (road) - ???

I think we're due for a string of W's here to end out MAC play. This is our last chance at a Q1 win, an important game to maintain our chance at a regular season title (BG looking strong but Toledo has an easier schedule down the stretch). A win would be huge for "righting the ship", voter confidence, at-large standings, MACC (regular season/tournament) seeding.

Toledo is a team of players that can stroke it when they're hot but get frustrated when they're not. We need to defend their scorers well and challenge Knapke inside with some double-team help when appropriate. Toledo's defense doesn't pose much of a threat so offensive efficiency should come down to focus and smart decisions. Let's let the defense power the offense like we've seen it do in our best performances, I want to see us hold this team under 75pts. FTs FTs FTs

Most importantly, if we win on Friday, I book my lodging in Cleveland!

GO BULLS

• Like 1

Indeed a massive game. Playing so ho-hum lately we need to have this one and take it back home to get a good win streak going.

Not sure what to expect. Toledo we matchup well with so I do expect us to win but again would like to see the TO issues decrease even just a bit from the Akron game.

15 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Indeed a massive game. Playing so ho-hum lately we need to have this one and take it back home to get a good win streak going.

Not sure what to expect. Toledo we matchup well with so I do expect us to win but again would like to see the TO issues decrease even just a bit from the Akron game.

With our uneven play in a number of games I can see why there would be concern from many of us. The first game against Toledo we kept Knapke and Sanford in check with only 11 and 3 points. Jackson and Darrington went off for 20 and 21. We shot 50% from the field and the 3 point line and kept them to 40% and 34 % from the 3 point line. The key point is we had 13 assists and only 7 turnovers. This was the game where Harris went off for 34 points shooting 6-10 from 3’s and Perkins had 21 points along with a quiet 13 points and 12 rebounds for Graves. Close to a repeat of that game should result in a win. In basketball are ever 2 games close to the same but that is why they play the games. Another exciting game coming up. Go Bulls!!!!

33 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Even better when some of their fans root for UB to get an at large bid!

Yep. Ohio in particular wants to see the MAC get two bids. I suppose if Toledo and UB win out with the exception of against each other its possible. 

Also, Andy Katz has Toledo in his Top 68 Basketball Rankings.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25988799/jay-bilas-1-68-college-basketball-rankings-tiers-valentine-day

He is very generous with us at 12. He has Toledo at 67.

This game is shaping to be our biggest MAC game this season (other than the tournament). Saw somewhere that 200 tickets are left. This is going to be an exciting game. 

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:11 PM, Jeseph said:

TV Coverage: ESPNU

Well, this is a huge one. Yet again we play a team off their bye, on the road.

Toledo has played really well since we faced them and will want revenge for game one. I expect this one to be wide open. Have to defend Sanford and Navigato again and will need and answer for Knapke inside.

Bulls win by 8

We need to do to Toledo what CMU did to us coming off a bye week, in the first 10 minutes...…………….then keep our foot on their throat.

As for the one bid/two bid league discussion, I suggest that UB control what they can control (as in, win baby, win) and not fuss much over what is beyond their control.  For some reason that approach always served me well :-)

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, verandaman said:

We need to do to Toledo what CMU did to us coming off a bye week, in the first 10 minutes...…………….then keep our foot on their throat.

As for the one bid/two bid league discussion, I suggest that UB control what they can control (as in, win baby, win) and not fuss much over what is beyond their control.  For some reason that approach always served me well 🙂

CMU was coming off a bye too. They clearly scripted the best first 12 minutes they could, they did it to BG too. The team must lose its legs late in games.

This will be UB's third team playing off a bye

The second time on the road after playing another road game. 

Seems odd but UB plays it's best ball when they are losing for much of the 1st half.  Then they come out focused and ready for the 2nd.  We've seen this a bunch during the MAC games. When they are cruising through the entire first half and leading, the opponent makes a big 2nd half push which can be tough to stop on the road. 

7 hours ago, zigo230 said:

Seems odd but UB plays it's best ball when they are losing for much of the 1st half.  Then they come out focused and ready for the 2nd.  We've seen this a bunch during the MAC games. When they are cruising through the entire first half and leading, the opponent makes a big 2nd half push which can be tough to stop on the road. 

Seriously. I’ve thought the same thing. I’d really rather they can close out a game no matter what but it’s weird how that’s happened. I have a feeling this one is going to be close throughout though until someone goes on a little run with about 8 minutes to go in the game to solidify the win. I guess we’ll find out soon. Less than 24 hours people!

4 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

For all you gamblers out there the spread is UB +2.5.  Over/under is 156.  I'll definitely take the over.   

Do you mean -2.5? As in buffalo is favored. That’s what it looks like on espn for me. Yea I’d take the over too but I still feel like that is high.. if our offense stays cool and our defense performs like we know they can for a full game it could be lower scoring...this is why I’m not betting on the game lol