Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#25 UB @ Toledo (2/15 - 7:00pm ET)

Jeseph

1 minute ago, UB_Prush said:

Have to add, that was some of the worst officiating I've ever seen. Went both ways and on a day it was called tight it was good to see we answered the call at the line. 

Yep. Good teams are able to push through it. It was highly slated against us in the first half. That charge on segu was insane. Tilted our way a little in the second half though but terrible terrible officiating. That foul on caruthers rebounding the ball and falling out of bounds was awful. It would’ve been Toledo ball but no way that’s a foul. There were some bad calls against Toledo in the second half too. Really tough to watch 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, weareub46 said:

Yep. Good teams are able to push through it. It was highly slated against us in the first half. That charge on segu was insane. Tilted our way a little in the second half though but terrible terrible officiating. That foul on caruthers rebounding the ball and falling out of bounds was awful. It would’ve been Toledo ball but no way that’s a foul. There were some bad calls against Toledo in the second half too. Really tough to watch 

I have asked this question before. There can not be any checks and balances on the jobs the officials are doing!!!!! Is it up to each conference to police the officials???? Terrible calls in the first half and it evened out somewhat in the 2nd half but just not a good way to watch a game. Go Bulls!!!!

Seems like when we are supposed to have a tough game the officiating is horrible and that was the case again tonight. It was just obvious and I don’t want to seem like I’m blaming the officials, to prove that we even won and I’m still bringing it up. That said, did anyone else notice that in the second half Nate relied on the veteran players more than Segu and Williams? Coincidence that we played better? I don’t think so. I hope we maximize the minutes left of the seniors. The freshman will have 3 more years of playing time. Let’s put teams away and play our best players at this time. Go Bulls.

19 minutes ago, weareub46 said:
3 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

Seems like when we are supposed to have a tough game the officiating is horrible and that was the case again tonight. It was just obvious and I don’t want to seem like I’m blaming the officials, to prove that we even won and I’m still bringing it up. That said, did anyone else notice that in the second half Nate relied on the veteran players more than Segu and Williams? Coincidence that we played better? I don’t think so. I hope we maximize the minutes left of the seniors. The freshman will have 3 more years of playing time. Let’s put teams away and play our best players at this time. Go Bulls.

I think Segu and Williams were brought on earlier because nothing else was working. I think they were more a result of us playing badly rather than the cause. Williams, had a couple bright spots but every time I see him I spend a lot of time scratching my head wondering how he is the highest rated recruit we've ever had. 

Against an o

3 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

I thought Nate did a great job of subbing and managing the foul trouble. You mentioned the freshman...I felt Williams gave us great minutes in the first half. 4 points and like 4 rebounds. Solid minutes. But of course Oats is gonna ride his seniors in crunch time. Any coach would. The roll of the freshman are to steal minutes throughout the game to keep the main 7 fresh.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I thought Nate did a great job of subbing and managing the foul trouble. You mentioned the freshman...I felt Williams gave us great minutes in the first half. 4 points and like 4 rebounds. Solid minutes. But of course Oats is gonna ride his seniors in crunch time. Any coach would. The roll of the freshman are to steal minutes throughout the game to keep the main 7 fresh.

Yea and also when we run into foul trouble. It’s an extremely important role and the better those 2 get as the season wraps up the higher the basement for this team 

11 minutes ago, John said:

I have asked this question before. There can not be any checks and balances on the jobs the officials are doing!!!!! Is it up to each conference to police the officials???? Terrible calls in the first half and it evened out somewhat in the 2nd half but just not a good way to watch a game. Go Bulls!!!!

Frank Spencer is absolutely the worst ref out there. Always have felt that way with him. He should in no way be officiating games, especially Q1 games with NCAA tournament possibilities on the line for both teams. The moment I saw him, I knew it was going to be bad...it always is when he's around. 

Great wins this week. 5 out of 7 on the road and now 10-2 in league. The ass-kicking this team takes from many on here day in and day out was put to shame with this win tonight. I don't want to hear how "horrendous the first half was" or anything like it. It's a 40 minute game, and the better team ended up winning, on the road, in each game this week. Now they can finish up with 4 out of 6 at home and hopefully get some momentum heading into neutral court games at the Q, where they are going to win 3 days straight. This team has to endure constant "highest attendance of the season" from their opponents in every game in league this year. They get their opponents (and fans) best when they step in to the gym.  There's a reason why home court is worth like 8 points in the projections. We'll get those 8 points on our side for 4/6 now, that's a 16 point swing for the non-mathematicians out there. In Cleveland, it's no advantage, so our numbers should be heavy on the positive side, with regard to projections.

I'm proud of this team. Harris has struggled with his shooting. I hope it picks up over the next month, but regardless, his rebounding has greatly improved to pick up for his low shooting %. Graves had some man sized rebounds early in this game, and is very consistent with his efforts. Dontay has been a beast, on both ends. Davonte can't seem to hit the FTs, but made a big 3 from the corner tonight. CJ wasn't his normal self, but hit a couple 3s in big spots tonight, playing with 3 and 4 fouls (soft ones, I might add). Montell was playing way above the rim. Perk, huge, huge, huge tonight. Jeenathan had 2 coast to coast plays that showed why he was rated highly. Rondo provides a few spot minutes to keep the speed up and let the others stay fresh for the big 2nd halves that we need (he and Jeenathan are still growing into the D-1 play). 

I look forward to the next many weeks watching and relishing this top-25 ranked team, something that we may have never thought would come around. What, 15 straight weeks next week? That's damn nasty, especially for a "just a MAC team". 

Big game tomorrow, go support the girls! Go Bulls!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Frank Spencer is absolutely the worst ref out there. Always have felt that way with him. He should in no way be officiating games, especially Q1 games with NCAA tournament possibilities on the line for both teams. The moment I saw him, I knew it was going to be bad...it always is when he's around. 

Great wins this week. 5 out of 7 on the road and now 10-2 in league. The ass-kicking this team takes from many on here day in and day out was put to shame with this win tonight. I don't want to hear how "horrendous the first half was" or anything like it. It's a 40 minute game, and the better team ended up winning, on the road, in each game this week. Now they can finish up with 4 out of 6 at home and hopefully get some momentum heading into neutral court games at the Q, where they are going to win 3 days straight. This team has to endure constant "highest attendance of the season" from their opponents in every game in league this year. They get their opponents (and fans) best when they step in to the gym.  There's a reason why home court is worth like 8 points in the projections. We'll get those 8 points on our side for 4/6 now, that's a 16 point swing for the non-mathematicians out there. In Cleveland, it's no advantage, so our numbers should be heavy on the positive side, with regard to projections.

I'm proud of this team. Harris has struggled with his shooting. I hope it picks up over the next month, but regardless, his rebounding has greatly improved to pick up for his low shooting %. Graves had some man sized rebounds early in this game, and is very consistent with his efforts. Dontay has been a beast, on both ends. Davonte can't seem to hit the FTs, but made a big 3 from the corner tonight. CJ wasn't his normal self, but hit a couple 3s in big spots tonight, playing with 3 and 4 fouls (soft ones, I might add). Montell was playing way above the rim. Perk, huge, huge, huge tonight. Jeenathan had 2 coast to coast plays that showed why he was rated highly. Rondo provides a few spot minutes to keep the speed up and let the others stay fresh for the big 2nd halves that we need (he and Jeenathan are still growing into the D-1 play). 

I look forward to the next many weeks watching and relishing this top-25 ranked team, something that we may have never thought would come around. What, 15 straight weeks next week? That's damn nasty, especially for a "just a MAC team". 

Big game tomorrow, go support the girls! Go Bulls!

Great overview of the game and season so far. Let’s face it this is a whole new frontier for this team and UB where we are the top team and everyone wants to beat us because of our ranking. Harris has not let the other parts of his game diminish I.e. the rebounding and assists even though his offensive struggles continue. Perkins was due for a good game and we really needed it. Hope CJ’s shoulder is not worse than he is letting on but he is giving the team everything he can. Go Bulls!!!!!

Game 1 vs Toledo +30 plus/minus, +10 Corsi
Game 2 at Toledo +6 plus/minus, +1 Corsi

Plus/Minus Starting 5 vs Toledo
Caruthers +22 & +17 = +39
McRae +24 & +11 = +35
Williams!!!! +14 & +12 = +26
Harris +21 & +3 = +24
Graves +28 & -6 = +22

Reserves:
Perk +14 & +5 = +19
CJ +21 & -5 = +16

Healthy Scratches
Jordan +8 & -6 = +2
Betram +2 & 0 = +2
Segu +2 & -1 = +1
Fagan -6 & 0 = -6

Best lines (2/15 game at Toledo): 
Massinburg - McRae - Harris - Perkins - Caruthers: +5 plus/minus & +1 Corsi
Graves - Harris - Perkins - Caruthers - Williams: +5 plus/minus & +0 Corsi
Jordan - McRae - Harris - Perkins - Caruthers: +3 plus/minus & +0 Corsi

Worst lines (2/15 game at Toledo):
Graves - Massinburg - Harris - Perkins - Caruthers: -4 plus/minus & +2 Corsi
Jordan - Graves - Massinburg - Harris - Perkins: -5 plus/minus & -3 Corsi
Jordan - Graves - Massinburg - McRae - Harris: -7 plus/minus & +0 Corsi

Edited by bull_trojan
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, skrabukes said:

No knocking the team? Come on, it was a bad win, ugly, something?

16-2 finishing record is in our sights.

Battled awful reffing and a full house against a top 35 team. Stayed composed after starting poorly and eam them out of gas in the end. Great job boys!

But it will be a bad 16-2...😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Harris seems to be forcing way too much on offense.  He drives to the basket and is trying to lay one off of the glass, but he's still 6 feet to the left of the backboard.  

Excuse me now, while I go back and read Squire's posts.  Sounds like there's some entertainment to be had.

It is nice to have some entertainment and some light-hearted moments and keep everything in perspective. Let’s keep enjoying the ride. Go Bulls!!!!

Edited by Jeseph
Double quote

6 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Those Perkins 3s were def not ugly-as-sin they looked real pretty to me lol. 

Besides that idk why there are so down on themselves. Acting like the season is over. You know how difficult it is to beat a team 3 times in a season? I think if we play them in Cleveland again we lose. That’s a good team 

It says way more about us winning than them losing 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weareub46 said:

Those Perkins 3s were def not ugly-as-sin they looked real pretty to me lol. 

Besides that idk why there are so down on themselves. Acting like the season is over. You know how difficult it is to beat a team 3 times in a season? I think if we play them in Cleveland again we lose. That’s a good team 

It says way more about us winning than them losing 

Yea, as a poster mentioned in the Akron game Perkins had been arcing his shots a bit more. Interesting he goes back to line drives, they drop.

regarding the 3x in a season thing somebody on the Toledo board looked into it and the stats show that it’s not as hard as we think.

2 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

The whole myth that beating a team 3x in one season is hard or unlikely is one of those sport cliches with no basis in reality.  The team that won the first two wins the third at a 72.4% clip.  As far as sports betting odds go, practically a sure thing.

Agree it is a myth and when of the so called experts make statements like that the average fan believes it without really looking into the facts. If a team beats another in the first two they should have all the momentum and confidence that they can beat them again. In the third meeting why would you not want to be the team that won the first two?? Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1