Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Mabry enters transfer portal too

56 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Truthfully, what the heck is going on?  I can see (obviously) KJ and Tyree, but Jones and Mabry?  And, I believe, we lost both line coaches.

Perhaps this transfer portal is the new normal...

I think new normal. I keep my eye on jobs all the time looking for a good offer, doesn't mean I don't like where I am...

10 hours ago, rma said:

Look at what Toledo has leaving.  This is the new normal.  

When you think about it, the G5 teams are now (via the transfer portal) the minor leagues for the P5.   I am sure there are many, many guys that the P5 want to offer coming out of HS, but for one reason or another cannot at the time (e.g. no scholarships left, some part of their game/tape gives them pause, maybe a concerning off-the-field issue, etc.)  So they play in the MAC or the Sun Belt...and start...and perform well.  P5 has people graduating at that position and now you have three years of a guy that has shown (albeit at the G5 level) that he can likely compete in P5. 

If they ever waive the "wait out a year" penalty...watch out.  Half a team will be in the transfer portal.  We are slowly watching G5 go away.   They may have to make a decision to go P5 (not likely, even if given the opportunity) or go FCS.

The popularity of that transfer portal, I think, is a watershed moment in the history of G5.

Imagine you are Charlie Jones or Tyler Mabry in the transfer portal.   How are you going to come back to the locker room?  Everyone (the coaches, the assistants, the staff, the players, etc.)...thinks that you are exploring other options because you "don't like it here" (however you want to define "like").  Who wants to "go to war" (or whatever cliches people use about sporting events) with a guy when they are not 100% committed (actions, not words).

Certainly people look a little sideways at the grad transfer stuff, but whatever...they guy was there long enough to get a degree and it was a smaller number. 

The more I think about the transfer portal, the worse I feel. 

The urgency, if UB wants to have a nationally recognized football and basketball sports program, is at hand to try and move to a P5 conference.  But that's for another thread.

Another thing to add, transfer portal (and more frequent transfers) is a huge loss for academics. If you’re going to 3+ different schools for undergrad, your classes aren’t going to transfer. Wonder how many of these players end up graduating and how many graduate with a meaningful degree. I’m talking non-general studies, not even getting into the “football majors” that exist.

I know a degree isn’t on a lot of these SA’s minds, but for the 99.999% of CFB players that don’t make life changing money in the NFL you’re going to need the degree. 

It's the new normal.  Players are super excited about the transfer portal and being a "free agent".   They no longer have to seek permission to transfer,  only notify the school of their intent and then enter the portal. Bam, done!   The really big thing is all the undergraduate transfers now getting waiver requests approved to play immediately...like Justin Fields.   ESPN said something like 80% of the FBS players who have applied for immediate eligibility have been approved.  The entire "sit out a season" rule might even get abolished soon enough.  Right now the rules are vague and coaches can't stand it.  Seems like productive players at G5 schools want to move up to bigger programs...and players at P5 schools who aren't getting enough playing time want to move to another program to showcase their skills...    You would think G5 schools will benefit from that.  

I think the NCAA has to figure out what's best for the students athletes and football programs. 

5 hours ago, rma said:

If you’re going to 3+ different schools for undergrad, your classes aren’t going to transfer. 

I think this is less true at many schools, because $ you need to be transfer friendly, also it's hard to tout the necessity of residency when all your professors are adjuncts teaching at Berkeley MWF and teaching the exact same material at Contra Costa on TTR

1 hour ago, zigo230 said:

Right now the rules are vague and coaches can't stand it.

I think the NCAA has to figure out what's best for the students athletes and football programs. 

Coaches understand taking transfers and submitting waivers, I think they get it. 

Transfer restrictions are silly, and lawyers are getting involved, and if coaches/admins/schools/ncaa are smart, they'd just grant free transfer, instead of forcing players to air dirty laundry to get a release (like shannon kinda did).

• 3 weeks later...

Probably left for academic reasons. That's been the sentiment from some. Then there are those who are happy for those who leave us.

As for my feelings towards him and KJ and any others who do similarly, they are not as cheerful, as I have expressed many times on here.

On 3/8/2019 at 2:52 PM, admin said:

Maryland?

They program has so many issues.  It's a step up in prestige, but we're a better program at this moment.

I’m not sure I agree with that. I’d say Maryland is still a big step ahead of us. We had one good season now that ended on a loss in the conference championship and bowl game. Next year looks like it could be back to the basement. I think Maryland is way ahead of that. 

Sad to see him go but wish him luck

• Like 1

20 hours ago, weareub46 said:

I’m not sure I agree with that. I’d say Maryland is still a big step ahead of us. We had one good season now that ended on a loss in the conference championship and bowl game. Next year looks like it could be back to the basement. I think Maryland is way ahead of that. 

Sad to see him go but wish him luck

Agree.  UMD wiped out all the coaches/staff that had any part in creating that so-called "toxic" atmosphere and also, those who mishandled Jordan McNair's collapse during a team workout.

So they are starting fresh with a new coach- Mike Locksley.  He was able to recruit some very good players and got a 4-star QB to commit , who was previously heading to Florida St.  Things looking up for the Terps.

• Like 1