Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Washington Post article on Nate/team

UB85

I would have put this in the ultimate thread. But I thought it deserved a little more prominence so here it is. https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/nate-oats-is-bullish-on-buffalo-building-on-last-years-ncaa-tournament-breakthrough/2019/02/15/4ea3b70c-3197-11e9-86ab-5d02109aeb01_story.html

Grear pub for Nate and UB. It continues to raise his profile. Which is good and bad. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, weareub46 said:

Great article but def scary seeing as he interviewed at those 2 teams last offseason but decided to come back because the team was stacked. With a big drop off in talent next year how likely is it that he stays?

First thing we must recognize is that the recruiting class is not yet complete. They have some excellent pieces. It should get better. Thus it’s reasonsble to expect a drop from the lofty heights of a top 25 team, but do not expect a free fall. Next year’s team will be good, perhaps even championship caliber. I still remain convinced that so long as steps are taken such rewarding excellence and plans are in the works for items identified are necessary for continued success are put in a lace that chances are very good he stays. 

3 hours ago, UB85 said:

First thing we must recognize is that the recruiting class is not yet complete. They have some excellent pieces. It should get better. Thus it’s reasonsble to expect a drop from the lofty heights of a top 25 team, but do not expect a free fall. Next year’s team will be good, perhaps even championship caliber. I still remain convinced that so long as steps are taken such rewarding excellence and plans are in the works for items identified are necessary for continued success are put in a lace that chances are very good he stays. 

I sure hope you’re right about all of that. 

2 hours ago, UB85 said:

Me too! 🙂 No guarantees. Just educated thought. At least I sure hope so. Go Bulls!

No guarantees for sure. But with Nate’s family situation with his wife and young kids together with his beautiful home in Grand Island and I hear they are doing some remodeling I think he will stay especially with another contract raise. UB just has to continue to show their commitment to building this into a high mid major success story. Go Bulls!!!!

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:05 PM, yussi1870 said:

Which DC schools are interested in Oats?

Why are you saying DC schools are interested?

Are you thinking WAPO is only covering him to help introduce him to alumni and fans? 

If so... could Maryland be making a change?  I suspect GW will make a change and though they will likely pay more than Buffalo it would be a lateral move. 

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Why are you saying DC schools are interested?

Are you thinking WAPO is only covering him to help introduce him to alumni and fans? 

If so... could Maryland be making a change?  I suspect GW will make a change and though they will likely pay more than Buffalo it would be a lateral move. 

Often a local sports reporter will get a tip that a local AD is looking at x, then will be curious himself and do a story on him.

I don’t think Maryland will part with their coach as they’re having moderate success. Wasn’t sure who else might be looking in that area. Could be a Virginia school.

1 minute ago, yussi1870 said:

Often a local sports reporter will get a tip that a local AD is looking at x, then will be curious himself and do a story on him.

I don’t think Maryland will part with their coach as they’re having moderate success. Wasn’t sure who else might be looking in that area. Could be a Virginia school.

Also every good AD or GM (pro sports) has a short list of coaches they'd go after if they needed too. So Oats could potentially be on a few AD's short list of coaches they'd interview if for some reason they had too.  He's a hot commodity no doubt and his flame will grow hotter if we make run in the big dance.

1 hour ago, rma said:

He wasn't offered from Xavier or Pitt so it would have had to been a job that didn't get much attention from the media and would have been one he wouldn't have strongly considered.  It was probably someone like Detroit who offered him.  They hired a new coach this summer and I could see them offering him on the long shot that he wanted to move back.  Of course, where ever it was, it wasn't actually considered.