Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Oats better than Hurley - Agree or Disagree?

MKBullsfan

32 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Agreed

Agree also. Nate is getting more out of his players than Hurley although Hurley has a younger team but will improvement come with Hurley next year?? Hurley still seems out of control at times and that can translate to his players. Already sent my email to Mark Alnutt to pay Oats and keep him here. Go Bulls!!!!!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Oats is a good coach. Is he better than Hurley? Probably. I like Oats. I don’t like Hurley.

I liked Hurley when he was here. Was he out of control on the sidelines and embarrassing at times? Yes, but he was someone who I liked. That being said...I love every member of this staff, GREAT people!

Talk about a no brainer! Oats in a landslide. And it’s not even that close. Hurley royally screwed up Javon’s last year losing in the MAC quarter finals. That was one of the worst coaching jobs I’ve seen at UB. His second year he got lucky with lighting striking after being an abysmal 6-6 in conference play after getting hammered at WMU. Thanks to the X man playing out of his rear and finding something he never showed in the prior 31/2 years the team struck gold. Those teams were all about the individual. Not the team. Oats is all about five individual players coming together and being better than the sum of its parts. What he’s accomplished at the helm of UB basketball is something 99.9% of UB fans never would imagine was possible. Hurley was great because he did what Danny White wanted; to create a buzz. It worked. He helped get us to the Big Dance. He should be fondly remembered and appreciated. But I’ll take Nate 100/100 of the time as the coach. Go Bulls!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cheese_66 said:

Yeah I don't think there's any debating here. Oats has the same amount of NCAA tournament appearances as Hurley, more tournament wins, and his team is in a better position right now than Hurley's, all while having less resources than Hurley.

Agree. Talk about the amount of money, the resources and the name recognition and being in the PAC-12. But you still have to make the right coaching decisions and of course hit on the players you draft. Nate is ahead of the game. Go Bulls!!!!!

Hurley was important for a few reasons. He brought a name brand to Buffalo and created buzz. Hiring Hurley was an indication that the administration wanted to take the next step forward with the basketball team. He took us to our first big dance. And we all knew he wasn’t long for Buffalo which brings me to the most important reason Hurley was important...Hurley hired Oats as his top assistant. Without Hurley there’s no Oats. 

In answering the question Oats to me has had more success as a coach. I feel he’s a better X and O guy and definitely a better teacher and gets the most out of his guys and teaches them life beyond the court. I feel like because of his name Hurley can get the players but Oats can grow the players better. 

But I have no hate for Hurley. I’m not bitter how it all went down. How can we be when we have had the success we’ve had since his departure. Love Oats, hope he stays as long as possible. Hope the current administration throws endless support at him.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Hurley was important for a few reasons. He brought a name brand to Buffalo and created buzz. Hiring Hurley was an indication that the administration wanted to take the next step forward with the basketball team. He took us to our first big dance. And we all knew he wasn’t long for Buffalo which brings me to the most important reason Hurley was important...Hurley hired Oats as his top assistant. Without Hurley there’s no Oats. 

In answering the question Oats to me has had more success as a coach. I feel he’s a better X and O guy and definitely a better teacher and gets the most out of his guys and teaches them life beyond the court. I feel like because of his name Hurley can get the players but Oats can grow the players better. 

But I have no hate for Hurley. I’m not bitter how it all went down. How can we be when we have had the success we’ve had since his departure. Love Oats, hope he stays as long as possible. Hope the current administration throws endless support at him.

I don't necessarily want to be the contrarian, but this is a bit of apples and oranges.  "Oats better than Hurley"...at what, just coaching (x and o)?  Recruiting?  Dealing with people?  Name recognition?  Connection to HS?  Connection to the NBA?

They each have their strengths.   It was always a given that Hurley would leave, so we used him to get name recognition and he used us to parlay his way to a P5.  If he has good success at ASU, he'll be back to the east coast in no time.  Maybe not a P5, but a strong, well-established east coast team.

At any rate, Oats has a chance of staying.  And for that, I am thankful...since you kind of need that stability to build a program.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I don't necessarily want to be the contrarian, but this is a bit of apples and oranges.  "Oats better than Hurley"...at what, just coaching (x and o)?  Recruiting?  Dealing with people?  Name recognition?  Connection to HS?  Connection to the NBA?

They each have their strengths.   It was always a given that Hurley would leave, so we used him to get name recognition and he used us to parlay his way to a P5.  If he has good success at ASU, he'll be back to the east coast in no time.  Maybe not a P5, but a strong, well-established east coast team.

I agree that Hurley’s ultimate endgame is the Duke job. As is Jeff Chapel. And Wojo. They are want that Duke job once Coach K retires. So they are building their resumes where they are at currently. 

As for Hurley versus Oats. I personally feel, from watching both teams, that Oats is a better in game coach. Hurley has the better name recognition. Hurley is the better recruiter, in large part bc of his name. Both have deep high school roots. Just a personal opinion. Both will often be compared to each other at least for right now bc of their link. So I respectfully disagree that it’s apples and oranges.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Hurley is the better recruiter, in large part bc of his name. 

I felt like our best recruits during the Hurley era were Oats' guys. That's why we were so high on Oats replacing Hurley, had no idea how he'd do X's and O's, but felt he'd keep the team together and be able to restock the cupboard...

My worry was how good would his recruiting be once he was 4-5 years out of the HS game, turns out he just went ahead and got ranked so he wont have to worry too much about that.

Edited by bull_trojan
  • Like 1

Hurley was a big name, brought the media spotlight.  Yeah UB went dancing, some of those players he even recruited himself.  As an alum, I thought he was embarrassing.  Personally I had to soul search wether the ends justified the means.

youtube “Bobby Hurley blooper” and tell me that’s what you want as an ambassador of your alma mater.  That clip is only a few weeks old, so it’s not like he has grown.  Personally I was happy he left and took all the other prema donnas with him.

3 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

I felt like our best recruits during the Hurley era were Oats' guys. That's why we were so high on Oats replacing Hurley, had no idea how he'd do X's and O's, but felt he'd keep the team together and be able to restock the cupboard...

My worry was how good would his recruiting be once he was 4-5 years out of the HS game, turns out he just went ahead and got ranked so he wont have to worry too much about that.

Agree. Hurley, White and company got the ball rolling in the right direction. Nate along with Hodgson, Whitesell and Quaryles have exceeded everyone’s expectations and now with success and some high level exposure they are getting more interest from some higher level recruits. The whole key will be for these incoming players to turn into high level players. Go Bulls!!!!

3 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

Hurley was a big name, brought the media spotlight.  Yeah UB went dancing, some of those players he even recruited himself.  As an alum, I thought he was embarrassing.  Personally I had to soul search wether the ends justified the means.

I agree about his sideline antics. There’s a way to work the refs and his was off putting and as you said embarrassing. He served his purpose here. We knew he wasn’t gonna be here long. Both sides got what they wanted from it. I’m definitely happy with where we are now and who has brought us there. So the means justified the ends for me.

46 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Would Oats have had this program to this level without Hurley?

Oats would not be here without Hurley. So that question is a non sequitur. Better question would Hurley be at ASU without Oats? I say no. Oats was the ace recruiter even though he was selling Hurley’s name to start. 

Chicken or the egg questions are always fun.  Yes, Hurley brought Oats here.  Would UB of hired Oats without Hurley?  We did hire a D3 football HC so who knows?  I know that first taste of dancing would of had a much better flavor with Oats or Witherspoon at the helm.  But we are where we are and I am grateful.  I like good people.  I like when good people succeed.  Not saying Hurley is a bad person, just a whiny man child that is incredibly difficult to root for and the idea of him sculpting young men is terrifying.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

Not saying Hurley is a bad person, just a whiny man child that is incredibly difficult to root for and the idea of him sculpting young men is terrifying.

I think Hurley is sculpting, or trying to, sculp nba players. Oats is sculpting young men and potentially nba players. Currently.