Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Ohio @ #25 UB (2/19 - 7:00pm ET)

Jeseph

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

This is a great win, for many reasons. But above all, this is a win that shuts up the people who complain "all I wanna see is a complete game!", well, here you go. 

I think it also helped that the ESPN article came out during the day leading up to the game. I saw a lot of big analysts sharing that story and then followed up at night with a tweet about the performance at night. 

Also nice to see Jim Kelly in attendance. That is two Buffalo Bills Hall of Famers coming to see our UB Bulls. People are watching and paying attention. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

Crowd - another bumper crowd on a weeknight.  I heard there were a lot of traffic backups out front.  I know it's tough to keep the noise up when the team is up by so many points.  And there are so many new people there these days.  But enough have been there enough times already, can they please at least start with: horns up on foul shots, and cheering along with the 'Let's Go Bulls' cowbell routine.  There are entirely not enough people taking part in these, and these are pretty easy things to go along with.

You mention crowd noise, or lack thereof.  The students did a great job.  They're fun to watch.  Listening to a couple of the cheerleaders last night.  They're frustrated that, when they run around with the signs that say "get loud" or "Make some noise", very few people do anything.  These Student - Athletes (players and cheerleaders alike) are going all out on the court.  The fans need to get on board.  Show some appreciation and vocal support for what they're giving us.

31 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

You mention crowd noise, or lack thereof.  The students did a great job.  They're fun to watch.  Listening to a couple of the cheerleaders last night.  They're frustrated that, when they run around with the signs that say "get loud" or "Make some noise", very few people do anything.  These Student - Athletes (players and cheerleaders alike) are going all out on the court.  The fans need to get on board.  Show some appreciation and vocal support for what they're giving us.

I noticed that too. I also notice that as the game starts, people are more timid. As the game progresses, people become more vocal. 

And can they stop telling people to "Get on your Feet" for the tip off. I have seen no one do this at Alumni. 

7 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

And can they stop telling people to "Get on your Feet" for the tip off. I have seen no one do this at Alumni. 

Keep saying it until they do it. One thing I've noticed having attended a decent number of road games over the years. Most arenas have some sort of traditional at the start of/early in games. What will our tradition be as Buffalo continues to recognize the success of these programs?

2 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

What will our tradition be as Buffalo continues to recognize the success of these programs?

Great question. "UB Bulls Fans, on your feet?" I am not sure if that is it. The flashlights on phones during intro video/introductions is a nice new tradition. I think it has to be something students buy into and it spills to the public (Example: Cowbell)

13 hours ago, weareub46 said:

Just what the doctor ordered. Still hoping Harris can get his shot back but at least he got one 3. Also had a nice assist and dunk so he’s still contributing. Just a couple of rough shots that’s atypical of what we remember. 

Glad to see a bunch of other players get some time. Great win. Let’s go beat Kent 

it does say a lot about your team and about your depth when one of your top players (Harris) from last year has really struggled all year from the 3 point line but still contributes in other parts of his game. Harris was not really even close with his 3 point misses and can tell it really is mental now. As long as he keeps contributing in other ways and with the other players of the team that can keep doing what they are doing success will continue. Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I talked with the crew at half time last night.  They were loving it.  One told me, "when they hit shots at that rate, there aren't a lot of fouls to call". 

Are you talking about the officials?? Thank God the officials did not try to take the game over which happens in way to many games. Unfortunately they could not contain themselves because the last five minutes or so they started calling all the ticky tacky fouls and fouls that were not even there. Still do not understand that there are no checks and balances for all these officials. I have seen it on the women’s side all year and because we had such a good and deep team the last few years we were able to overcome it. As a former official for many years it is hard for me to look the other way but I know I have to try. Just have to continue to enjoy this ride and Go Bulls!!!!

14 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Graves deserves more credit for the season he’s had. He’s making a case that this is his team next year.

Graves has really been our silent contributor all year. The one thing our family have noticed is how he along with Caruthers have improved their shooting. The freshman years they both were out of control at times and their shooting and free throws were very inconsistent. Shows if you have the proper mindset and put the work in during off season along with having a good group of players success can become a reality. Graves is shooting 46% from the field, 38% from 3’s and 71% from the foul line, averaging 9.5 points.  Not too shabby at all.  Go Bulls!!!!

14 hours ago, Jeseph said:

Graves deserves more credit for the season he’s had. He’s making a case that this is his team next year.

In my opinion, Jayvon might be further ahead in his sophomore year than Massinburg was in his sophomore year. The guy is so incredibly well rounded in nearly all aspects at the 2 position. And I think last night we got a solid glimpse at his ability to shoot the ball.

Graves’ Sophomore stats are eerily close to CJ’s Freshman stats. CJ has always just been a bit better at drawing fouls. I expect his career trajectory to be very similar. I’m glad he’s been able to work with CJ these past two years given their similarities. We lose a lot of talent this year but last night more than anything else made me feel good about our future after this senior class graduates.

16 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

In my opinion, Jayvon might be further ahead in his sophomore year than Massinburg was in his sophomore year. The guy is so incredibly well rounded in nearly all aspects at the 2 position. And I think last night we got a solid glimpse at his ability to shoot the ball.

I love Graves. He's one of my favorite players and saw this instantly in offseason practices. 

CJ Soph - 32.4 MPG, 41% FG, 33% 3P%, 5.6 RPG, 2.8 APG, 14.5 PPG

Graves Soph - 23.9 MPG, 46% FG, 38% 3P%, 3.9 RPG, 1.7 APG, 9.6 PPG

If Graves was on a team without the depth and got more time:

Graves:

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 1.39.46 PM.png

CJ:

Screen Shot 2019-02-20 at 1.40.01 PM.png

Edited by Kevin

Jayvon has to work on his consistency. Some of his inconsistency may be due to him deferring to the upperclassmen. But with his athletic ability he can and needs to be a force every game on defense and with his rebounding. His shooting is definitely vastly improved from last year. I've never seen it before, but he had an east/west rotation to his shot rather than the north/south rotation every tremendous shooter has. That has disappeared and he now has the right rotation/spin on the ball. That's how you get the so called shooters touch. Now he has to advance his shot from an effective catch and shoot man to being able to take his shot off the dribble. With a lot of hard work, which he brings, there is no reason he cannot develop that. If he does watch the frea# out.

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
7 hours ago, weareub46 said:

I believe it and I love it

Never in our wildest dreams could we have seen this!! The crowds are off the charts when you look around and see all the standing room and all the traffic jams trying to get into the game. Also all the fans buying UB apparel in the UB shop at Alumni. Already got my black out apparel and am buying some more black for Friday. Go Bulls!!!!!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

It’s a shame that the attendance hasn’t been published. 

http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20190219yc0a2l

"Paced by a career-best seven three pointers from sophomore Jayvon Graves, the University at Buffalo men's basketball team broke a 23-year old record for three pointers in a game with 19 as the Bulls defeated Ohio, 114-67, in front of 6,231 fans at Alumni Arena."