Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Kent St. @ #25 UB (2/22 - 7pm EST)

Jeseph

At some point in the first half I thought, this game is going to come down to the wire.  Kent was playing great defense, working their tails off all over the court.  Crashing the boards, guarding the perimeter, shutting off drives.  UB had hurl up some bad shots and even had a shot clock violation (at the tempo the Bulls play, that's unheard of).  Credit to them.  They're one of a few teams that tried to outmuscle the Bulls underneath, and it worked for a while.  At the other end, Kent wasn't shooting well either.  But it came unglued in the kind of supernova of basketball that this UB team can play, an 8 point burst to end the half.  Things opened up in the second half for UB, they were able to get to the hoop easier as Kent got in foul trouble and were able to hit some three's finally.  Kent was moving well on offense when they drove off a screen, but it wasn't enough.  The kind of intense MAC league rivalry game that gets everyone going.

CJ - hope his ankle is okay.  One of many guys who got tough underneath for rebounds, every one was a fight.
Perkins - it was his day.  His touch was on, and he hit his foul shots
Graves - didn't have the touch he had on Tuesday, but credit for a recovery steal after a giveaway in the second half and some tough rebounds
Harris - another one who has been playing good defense and his drives to the basket, using his reach, are really hard to defend

Kent's 20-some turnovers killed them, especially in the second half.  Walker was a shadow of the player you expect to see.  Clanked 3 free throws in a row early.  They've always been a really physical team and they were again tonight.  They held UB to a bad shooting night (for them) but still got buried.

Crowd - SRO, and it came alive in that 8 point burst at the end of the half.  I'm greedy, I expect a lot from a sellout crowd supporting a ranked team on a Friday night, and it could be so much louder.  Especially on defense in the first half when it was close.  It took a couple possessions for True Blue to wake up at the start of the game, inexplicable.  And no "I Believe That We Have Won" at the end, what gives?  The band was in fine form, the football team helped the Dazzlers put on a good show.  I am impressed and grateful that the school and the community has been coming out in force in league play to support this team.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

At some point in the first half I thought, this game is going to come down to the wire.  Kent was playing great defense, working their tails off all over the court.  Crashing the boards, guarding the perimeter, shutting off drives.  UB had hurl up some bad shots and even had a shot clock violation (at the tempo the Bulls play, that's unheard of).  Credit to them. 

But it came unglued in the kind of supernova of basketball that this UB team can play, an 8 point burst to end the half.  Things opened up in the second half for UB, they were able to get to the hoop easier as Kent got in foul trouble and were able to hit some three's finally.  Kent was moving well on offense when they drove off a screen, but it wasn't enough.  The kind of intense MAC league rivalry game that gets everyone going.

So from charting the lineups, for the most part our starters do well, we go up like 5 points, then we cycle in segu, williams, perk, caruthers, in and out, kinda playing with our food, seeing if someone gets hot and forcing the other team to use their fouls and energy, usually we just maintain the 5 point lead. Then we put in our #1 lineup (starters but w/Perk) and make an end of half run up 10. Then we start the 2nd with our #1 lineup, go +5 again, now we're quickly up 15. 

Then we cycle in our depth again, this time their fresh while the other teams starting 5 starts to wear down, we get another 5 points, were up 20, then we usually coast to the finish and the bench squad lets in some buckets and we win by 15. 

4 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Nothing personal, but I hate that chant for basketball, in the last 30 seconds.  To me, it’s more of a 10 minute left soccer chant. 

I feel just the opposite about it. I love it in basketball just once at the end of a game but whenever it gets pulled out during a soccer game I cringe. Perhaps it was just ruined by overuse during the 2014 World Cup where it would come out like 2 dozen times a game.

2 hours ago, UBigbobby said:

this basketball is barely watchable.  if I weren't a fan of one of the team's I'd have changed channels long ago.  

Only if you do not like March type defensive intensity and tenacity. Both teams got after in the first half. Our guys just overpowered them in all aspects of the game. Just tremendous!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDBullsfan89 said:

Ohio game aside, starting games well hasn't been our strong suit for a while now. Great finish to the half though. Perkins really came to play tonight

Unlike prior games where we had rough starts this one tonight was not on us. Give Kent credit! They played defense with tremendous tenacity. One of our problems was throwing chest passes rather than bounce passes. Kent deflected a lot of passes in that first half. 

I don’t know if anyone else has thought about it like this but hope we can all just take a moment, take a deep breath and enjoy living in the present. This team is special. Might be the best in UB history who knows. Cherish every minute and enjoy the ride. Lets keep the good times going. 

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Regardless of sport, I like the chant when the fans start it earlier.  The thing I don’t like is when it is started after the game is already decided. 

I mean, “I believe”, means more when the the game is still up for grabs.  “I believe” doesn’t mean, yeah it’s been over for awhile. 

10 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Unlike prior games where we had rough starts this one tonight was not on us. Give Kent credit! They played defense with tremendous tenacity. One of our problems was throwing chest passes rather than bounce passes. Kent deflected a lot of passes in that first half. 

That's a fair point. A lot more "forced" errors in this one than I remember in recent games.

14 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

I don’t know if anyone else has thought about it like this but hope we can all just take a moment, take a deep breath and enjoy living in the present. This team is special. Might be the best in UB history who knows. Cherish every minute and enjoy the ride. Lets keep the good times going. 

I think for some this is a start of potentially big things, but for me I think often to the past. 2002-03 MBK and football won 6 combined games. SIX. And me an avid sports (but at the time not really college sports) fan decided to enroll starting 2003. It didn't get much better outside of the spark of the '04-'05 teams and the hiring of Gill. 

I was optimistic that we could get there, but I never dreamed of a season like this, near ranked football, fully ranked basketball what a world.

Edited by bull_trojan
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

I said the same thing sitting in AA with four minutes to go as some fans were leaving. Why would you leave while we’re enjoying the absolute best of times for UB basketball. Holy cow! Just cannot figure people out sometimes. 

4 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

2002-03 MBK and football won 6 combined games. SIX.

I kinda lost track but I think that's around the number of MAC titles we won when I was enrolled. WSOC, MBB x2, and I feel like we had a tennis or diving or something like that.

1 hour ago, enrique14150 said:

At some point in the first half I thought, this game is going to come down to the wire.  Kent was playing great defense, working their tails off all over the court.  Crashing the boards, guarding the perimeter, shutting off drives.  UB had hurl up some bad shots and even had a shot clock violation (at the tempo the Bulls play, that's unheard of).  Credit to them.  They're one of a few teams that tried to outmuscle the Bulls underneath, and it worked for a while.  At the other end, Kent wasn't shooting well either.  But it came unglued in the kind of supernova of basketball that this UB team can play, an 8 point burst to end the half.  Things opened up in the second half for UB, they were able to get to the hoop easier as Kent got in foul trouble and were able to hit some three's finally.  Kent was moving well on offense when they drove off a screen, but it wasn't enough.  The kind of intense MAC league rivalry game that gets everyone going.

CJ - hope his ankle is okay.  One of many guys who got tough underneath for rebounds, every one was a fight.
Perkins - it was his day.  His touch was on, and he hit his foul shots
Graves - didn't have the touch he had on Tuesday, but credit for a recovery steal after a giveaway in the second half and some tough rebounds
Harris - another one who has been playing good defense and his drives to the basket, using his reach, are really hard to defend

Kent's 20-some turnovers killed them, especially in the second half.  Walker was a shadow of the player you expect to see.  Clanked 3 free throws in a row early.  They've always been a really physical team and they were again tonight.  They held UB to a bad shooting night (for them) but still got buried.

Crowd - SRO, and it came alive in that 8 point burst at the end of the half.  I'm greedy, I expect a lot from a sellout crowd supporting a ranked team on a Friday night, and it could be so much louder.  Especially on defense in the first half when it was close.  It took a couple possessions for True Blue to wake up at the start of the game, inexplicable.  And no "I Believe That We Have Won" at the end, what gives?  The band was in fine form, the football team helped the Dazzlers put on a good show.  I am impressed and grateful that the school and the community has been coming out in force in league play to support this team.

CJ told us post game that he was fine. 

• Like 1