Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Kent St. @ #25 UB (2/22 - 7pm EST)

Jeseph

1 hour ago, enrique14150 said:

At some point in the first half I thought, this game is going to come down to the wire.  Kent was playing great defense, working their tails off all over the court.  Crashing the boards, guarding the perimeter, shutting off drives.  UB had hurl up some bad shots and even had a shot clock violation (at the tempo the Bulls play, that's unheard of).  Credit to them.  They're one of a few teams that tried to outmuscle the Bulls underneath, and it worked for a while.  At the other end, Kent wasn't shooting well either.  But it came unglued in the kind of supernova of basketball that this UB team can play, an 8 point burst to end the half.  Things opened up in the second half for UB, they were able to get to the hoop easier as Kent got in foul trouble and were able to hit some three's finally.  Kent was moving well on offense when they drove off a screen, but it wasn't enough.  The kind of intense MAC league rivalry game that gets everyone going.

CJ - hope his ankle is okay.  One of many guys who got tough underneath for rebounds, every one was a fight.
Perkins - it was his day.  His touch was on, and he hit his foul shots
Graves - didn't have the touch he had on Tuesday, but credit for a recovery steal after a giveaway in the second half and some tough rebounds
Harris - another one who has been playing good defense and his drives to the basket, using his reach, are really hard to defend

Kent's 20-some turnovers killed them, especially in the second half.  Walker was a shadow of the player you expect to see.  Clanked 3 free throws in a row early.  They've always been a really physical team and they were again tonight.  They held UB to a bad shooting night (for them) but still got buried.

Crowd - SRO, and it came alive in that 8 point burst at the end of the half.  I'm greedy, I expect a lot from a sellout crowd supporting a ranked team on a Friday night, and it could be so much louder.  Especially on defense in the first half when it was close.  It took a couple possessions for True Blue to wake up at the start of the game, inexplicable.  And no "I Believe That We Have Won" at the end, what gives?  The band was in fine form, the football team helped the Dazzlers put on a good show.  I am impressed and grateful that the school and the community has been coming out in force in league play to support this team.

Right on the money Enrique14150. The Kent defense was the best I have seen all year. As you said they were aggressive, quick with their player rotations and as usual very physical and tough on the boards. They took us out of our offensive flow in the 1st half along with us missing some shots right around the basket. The 8 point burst was big, big, big and changed the momentum not only for the team but for the crowd big time. Another great crowd and enjoying every moment. Will have another recap tomorrow and what a time to be a UB fan. Go Bulls!!!!

Pretty much all that can be said about the game, the fans, the coach has been said. Let me add that this is the second game in a row where the refs were pretty much a non-factor (I suspected as much when I saw that one of the officials was Kevin Ferguson) and recall booing (and my dear wife screaming “Are you kidding me!”) only a few times. Additionally, there was another thread here about future changes to the arena. This game, with robust beer sales to a record crowd, really emphasized the gross inadequacy of the restrooms. Lol. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Nothing personal, but I hate that chant for basketball, in the last 30 seconds.  To me, it’s more of a 10 minute left soccer chant. 

i'm open to suggestions for a different way to put a fork in the game.  It's been done here well before anyone in MLS or US Soccer was doing "I Believe That We WILL Win" early in the game.  And I'm pretty sure our fans borrowed it from another MAC school (I'm thinking Miami or Ohio).

21 minutes ago, UBminicre said:

Do you guys still the “U” “B” back and forth across arena? That was cool... 

I don't remember seeing that one in a while but perhaps I've just missed it since I only make it to game sporadically now. It worked great when the students were split between being behind the basket and in the corner on that adjacent side about 10 -12 years ago.

37 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

i'm open to suggestions for a different way to put a fork in the game.  It's been done here well before anyone in MLS or US Soccer was doing "I Believe That We WILL Win" early in the game.  And I'm pretty sure our fans borrowed it from another MAC school (I'm thinking Miami or Ohio).

I can't really come up with much better. I am loving the band playing "All we Do Is Win" afterwards unfortunately that probably wouldn't work out as a stand alone chant.

19 hours ago, UB85 said:

I said the same thing sitting in AA with four minutes to go as some fans were leaving. Why would you leave while we’re enjoying the absolute best of times for UB basketball. Holy cow! Just cannot figure people out sometimes. 

I am with you. Our family wants to enjoy every minute of this run. Fans leave early sometimes no matter what the score. We all know what it is like getting out of these parking lots. We park in a different lot than most and always wait around in the arena and chit chat with some other fans about the game and general chatter about the team. We are never in a hurry to leave but we are in the minority. Hey, people have been leaving sporting events early for years. We are savoring every minute and soaking up all the great vibes we can. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, UB85 said:

Just watched the 8-0 run to close out the first half. It was even better the second time!

I think it took us just about the entire 1st half to adjust to Kent’s defensive intensity. We really have not seen that kind of total team defense. The 2nd half we played better team defense and when Kent started missing we were able to get out in our transition offense. I believe we had only 3 turnovers in the 2nd half. We had 13 steals and held Walker and Whittington in check. Avery was a non factor and he did look like his ankle was bothering him as he was not moving around like he usually does. When Caruthers has a tough off night and Harris still can not buy a 3 pointer and Graves has a tough night shooting and we still win by 23 is  a testament to our entire team and the defensive pressure they put on against any team. Hope that CJ’s ankle is okay. Williams and Segu still adjusting to D1 play. The biggest thing I see is they still play out of control and are trying to make plays going 100 miles an hour. Hope with some more experience and maturity and coaching they can improve. Looking forward to Tues and another sellout. Go Bulls!!!!

I HATE when people leave the AA early. I find it disrespectful to the players and coaches. It's embarrassing. Where are they going to? I'll get replies of "the traffic is awful". Who cares? Park in a different spot then. I argued with someone on a different UB Board earlier in the year regarding this. I leave at the end of every game and I was home by 9:30 last night (and I live 25 minutes from UB). Just enjoy the games people, there aren't many left!

1 hour ago, UB_Prush said:

I am loving the band playing "All we Do Is Win" afterwards

I too love hearing our alma mater being played after the game 😊

2 hours ago, UBminicre said:

Do you guys still the “U” “B” back and forth across arena? That was cool... 

Haven't done that since I've been here (2011-12).  I'm a huge fan of the split cheers, and I think a "Let's Go" "Buffalo" would work.  North and west bleachers do one, and south and east bleachers do another (figuring loud students = full east side of old people).

37 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I HATE when people leave the AA early. I find it disrespectful to the players and coaches. It's embarrassing. Where are they going to? I'll get replies of "the traffic is awful". Who cares? Park in a different spot then. I argued with someone on a different UB Board earlier in the year regarding this. I leave at the end of every game and I was home by 9:30 last night (and I live 25 minutes from UB). Just enjoy the games people, there aren't many left!

We leave almost every game early to beat the crowd. Don’t feel guilty. Case in point: the Kent St game - J Williams bucket and a foul with 4:58 to go. Bulls up 18... My wife and I bolt. What did we miss over the last 5 minutes of the game? Nothing. What did we gain? Got out of a horrible traffic pattern. To each his own.

6 minutes ago, squire17 said:

We leave almost every game early to beat the crowd. Don’t feel guilty. Case in point: the Kent St game - J Williams bucket and a foul with 4:58 to go. Bulls up 18... My wife and I bolt. What did we miss over the last 5 minutes of the game? Nothing. What did we gain? Got out of a horrible traffic pattern. To each his own.

I couldn't do it. What's 10 minutes? When 25% of the crowd has left before the final horn of a win, it's pretty lousy in my opinion. The guys on the court play their hearts out and those who are supposed to be supporting them have left. For what? To rush home and sit there? I just don't get it. At the SU game this year, there were 3x as many people, and people stayed til the end. The traffic was awful there too. Again, what's a few minutes when there's only a dozen home men's games in a season.

11 hours ago, ubfan75 said:

This game, with robust beer sales to a record crowd, really emphasized the gross inadequacy of the restrooms. Lol. 

Yes! I have noticed this too. It was a none issue in the past but the past couple games I am finding that I plan my restroom breaks (1H: 4min media or 2H: 16min media).

Overall, the atmosphere is absolutely awesome. I think everything taking place will encourage others to stay and I think more people will get on board with chants/etc.

What I think they should do: a system to donate tickets for season ticket holders. If I am not able to go to a game, a way to notify UB so that those that want to go can check to see if season ticket holders have tickets to give away. For me, it is easy to give away. I have lots of friends I keep in touch of that I can pass off. For older season ticket holders (which is predominately 101-105), they might not know as many people to go. I could be completely wrong.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

What I think they should do: a system to donate tickets for season ticket holders. If I am not able to go to a game, a way to notify UB so that those that want to go can check to see if season ticket holders have tickets to give away. For me, it is easy to give away. I have lots of friends I keep in touch of that I can pass off. For older season ticket holders (which is predominately 101-105), they might not know as many people to go. I could be completely wrong.

I've accumulated a few pairs of tix for the women's games, as some only choose to go to the men's. Thankfully, I've had no trouble finding people to take them and use them this year. It's nice to get those seats used. Additionally, a few of the people I've given tix to the past year or two have bought their own season tix this year!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I couldn't do it. What's 10 minutes? When 25% of the crowd has left before the final horn of a win, it's pretty lousy in my opinion. The guys on the court play their hearts out and those who are supposed to be supporting them have left. For what? To rush home and sit there? I just don't get it. At the SU game this year, there were 3x as many people, and people stayed til the end. The traffic was awful there too. Again, what's a few minutes when there's only a dozen home men's games in a season.

Again, to each his own. I admire your resolve, but when the game has reached the point where the outcome is obvious, I’m gone. The Kent game saw an 8 -3 spread in the final 5 minutes. Not worth staying for...Unless you must pay homage to your idols. Not me.

Bring back the 

9 hours ago, rma said:

I too love hearing our alma mater being played after the game 😊

Haven't done that since I've been here (2011-12).  I'm a huge fan of the split cheers, and I think a "Let's Go" "Buffalo" would work.  North and west bleachers do one, and south and east bleachers do another (figuring loud students = full east side of old people).

We should bring that one back then.. it was quite effective and loud... if you do it cross arena it would be awesome.

1 hour ago, UBminicre said:

Bring back the 

We should bring that one back then.. it was quite effective and loud... if you do it cross arena it would be awesome.

Maybe True Blue could make a cheer sheet like Duke fans do, except give them to the whole arena instead of just the student section.

14 hours ago, squire17 said:

I went to UB from '97 to '01.  When I was a freshman and sophomore the Bulls were in the Mid-Continent Conference.  Then they moved up to the Mid American Conference in 1999.  The team lost a lot more than they won.  Then they finally got close with Turner Battle in 2005 but lost on a tip.  Anyway, I dont know if you were around during those building years until the team finally won the MAC Championship in 2015.  But if you've gone through watching the team lose for a long time, you wouldnt think about leaving early when they are finally this successful and competitive.

• Like 1

Everyone is different. I try not to judge because I don’t know other people’s personal circumstances. I usually get up to leave during the final possession (aisle seats) and can slip out before the traffic starts. I don’t feel bad at all about applauding from the stairs as the game ends.

17 hours ago, squire17 said:

Not all fans are created the same and everyone has different ideas on what is most important. That will never change. Heck I have seen fans leave professional sporting events when the game is in doubt and they still leave to beat the traffic. Our family have always wanted to enjoy every minute of a game no matter how close or if a blowout. These last few years we just want to soak up every enjoyable minute we can. As they say “different strokes for different folks.” Go Bulls!!!!!