Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Fan/Booster Compliance

DooleyBull06

Please correct me if I’m wrong...but if you contribute to the program financially and contact  a prospect about coming to UB that could be some kinda violation. 

I may definitely be wrong. But just a friendly warning about contacting recruits on social, if you have donated to the team. You may be considered a booster. 

On 2/18/2019 at 9:19 AM, BrooklynBull said:

5 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Please correct me if I’m wrong...but if you contribute to the program financially and contact  a prospect about coming to UB that could be some kinda violation. 

I may definitely be wrong. But just a friendly warning about contacting recruits on social, if you have donated to the team. You may be considered a booster. 

Luckily I don't contribute to the program then. I am only a rabid fan 😊

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Yikes. Lets get on the right page.  Last thing we wanna do is screw something up.  Glad I posed the original question.

For the second time,

Do any of you qualify for being a booster?

As mentioned, it has a specific set of criteria:

You are considered a booster of UB athletics if you have:

• Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
  • Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
  • Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
  • Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.
  • Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
  • Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.
  • Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.
Edited by Kevin

2 minutes ago, Kevin said:

For the second time,

Do any of you qualify for being a booster? I am not one. 

As mentioned, it has a specific set of criteria:

You are considered a booster of UB athletics if you have:

• Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.
  • Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.
  • Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.
  • Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.
  • Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.
  • Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.
  • Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

I think the point that is being made is that these rules are so vague and the line is so thin that even the smallest thing could be misconstrued.  For example there are a number of members on this board who has contributed to the excellence fund.  Heck its a pinned post.  If one of them were to reach out via twitter is that a violation?  Based on the vague criteria seems like it.  We just need to be careful is all.  Again last thing any of us want is to violate some byline and cost the program in some way.  You might be fine Kev but others may not. 

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I think the point that is being made is that these rules are so vague and the line is so thin that even the smallest thing could be misconstrued.  For example there are a number of members on this board who has contributed to the excellence fund.  Heck its a pinned post.  If one of them were to reach out via twitter is that a violation?  Based on the vague criteria seems like it.  We just need to be careful is all.  Again last thing any of us want is to violate some byline and cost the program in some way.  You might be fine Kev but others may not. 

True. Good point. 

All of these are good points and definitely should be considered. Personally I’m a student that doesn’t have any money to give to the school right now lol. However I think we’re playing it safer than the Arkansas fans. An Arkansas-based radio station reached out to Hawkins telling him to message them personally on twitter. I doubt any of us have directly messaged him but still it’s best to play it safe 

The simplest way to know if you are a booster is if you have donated $0.01 in your life to Athletics.  Once you make a donation to Athletics you are a booster for life.  Notice the use of the word "Athletics".  It does not matter where you give the money, you are a booster.  So if you gave money to baseball, you are a booster and all the rules apply.

A change was made nearly three years ago about social media contacts with Potential Student Athletes.  The rule became know as the click but don't type rule.  That means you can like or retweet, but you cannot quote or reply.

Also no person other than employees of UB, and then only those who have passed a recruiting test, are allowed to recruit an athlete to UB.  So if ever contacted by anyone just refer them to the coach for further discussions.  I have been attending college fairs for over 15 years.  When I am asked about athletics, the questions comes in a limited number of ways:

1. What level athletics do you have?
  2. Do you have "x" sport?
  3. Could I play "x" sport for UB?

Other than the first question the answer is basically you have to talk to the coach.  I am not allowed to discuss anything more than that with you under NCAA regulations.  That always ends the  conversation on athletics.

Simple answer to this question is why do you want to talk to a 16  or 17 year old kid, that you have never met, about going to college?  And then just leave the recruiting to the professionals.

This is the link to the compliance page: http://ubbulls.com/compliance/index.  If you ever want to have any contact with a Potential Student Athlete before you do contact Compliance.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:06 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

Yes. 

But it not only giving financially to the program.

If you support or promote the program in any way—you’re a booster.  

4 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Something a booster would say! 

That was not a shot at non-boosters.  I apologize if it came across that way.  It was just clarifying the answer to the question that I had asked earlier in the thread.  What I was saying was that buying 50/50 tickets at the game does not disqualify you from being able to speak to recruits.

Be proud of being a booster ChubbyHubby. We all need to pitch in if we want to keep the momentum going of this year, whether it's $1, $100, $1000 or more, every bit helps. A wise man said to me, "whether it's one person donating a million or a million donating a dollar, it's all the same". 

• Like 3

• Jeseph pinned this topic
34 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

That was not a shot at non-boosters.  I apologize if it came across that way.  It was just clarifying the answer to the question that I had asked earlier in the thread.  What I was saying was that buying 50/50 tickets at the game does not disqualify you from being able to speak to recruits.

Oh I was just being a pompous ass and sarcastic lol. No offense on my end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

People from any fan base on the teams being considered by a recruit, are always going to tweet at the recruit. They don't care. If it's such an issue, then maybe the recruit should stay off social media? Just my take.

I’m sure it’s one of those rules that aren’t enforced for average joes. It’s when money gets involved that things become complicated. And the compliance department is just doing their due diligence. 

Compliance is doing what they should. They cannot in any way supervise or enforce this. But it is very important to know the rules and in this regard this is an excellent service by them to put this out there and for the mods to have posted it here. Good job by both! 

• Like 1

• Jeseph locked this topic
  • Jeseph unlocked this topic