Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB/Ball State women’s game

ubfan75

Women’s team nearly pulled off a “hold my beer” game one day after men won by 47. They were ahead of Ball State by 41 with 2 minutes left but couldn’t build their advantage to 48 points. Entire team played, and all scored except one. Good job, ladies.

Edited by ubfan75
Typo

A great all around game by UB. They took a page out of the men’s game. Destroyed Ball State. They got back to their defensive intensity that was missing for quite a few games. No reason why Hemphill can’t average double doubles in the remaining games but she has to stay out of foul trouble. The loss to Bowling Green who was 0-10 was hopefully a big wake up call.  They need to win at Akron on Sat and then will have a tough matchup against Ohio. Go Bulls!!!!!

So I think cmu will get the 1 seed because it’s all Division play now and the west stinks. 

So i think it’s vital we get the 3 seed. 

If Ohio beats Miami and we beat Miami Ohio’s the 2 we’re the 3 (via h2h) Miami’s the 4.

if Miami beats Ohio then we have to beat Ohio and Miami....Miami is the 2 and we’re  the 3 (via division record) 

moral of the story is I think we have to win every game from here on to avoid cmu in the semis.

3 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

So I think cmu will get the 1 seed because it’s all Division play now and the west stinks. 

So i think it’s vital we get the 3 seed. 

If Ohio beats Miami and we beat Miami Ohio’s the 2 we’re the 3 (via h2h) Miami’s the 4.

if Miami beats Ohio then we have to beat Ohio and Miami....Miami is the 2 and we’re  the 3 (via division record) 

moral of the story is I think we have to win every game from here on to avoid cmu in the semis.

We just need to take one game at a time and agree we need to win our remaining games and let the chips fall where they will be. We are likely the 4th best team. CMU along with Ohio and Miamiof Ohio really look like the class of the conference. Miami of Ohio is really on a tear winning 10 in a row. They really should of won last year’s semis against CMU losing 61-58. We were there when Miami had a chance at the end to win and missed a shot and CMU won it at the foul line. Go Bulls!!!!!

I’ve read that the MAC is a multi bid league this year. Quite possibly up to 3 teams. 2 for sure. We might be a bubble team. Currently espn bracketology has us in the next four out. But in order for us to be a bubble/at large team we need a strong finish to the regular season. Of course we can control our own fate by winning the MAC tourney. Go Bulls!

10 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’ve read that the MAC is a multi bid league this year. Quite possibly up to 3 teams. 2 for sure. We might be a bubble team. Currently espn bracketology has us in the next four out. But in order for us to be a bubble/at large team we need a strong finish to the regular season. Of course we can control our own fate by winning the MAC tourney. Go Bulls!

Totally agree.We do not match up on the plus side against CMU, Ohio or Miami of Ohio but that is why they play the games.Our comeback against CMU resulted in our full court press almost the entire 2nd half. WE will probably have to use that tactic during various parts of games against all three of these teams. UB has to get contributions from many players other than Dillard in order to beat the top teams and they showed it is possible against Ball State. Go Bulls!!!!!

CMU is a obviously very good but I think many of you are overrating them a touch here...this isn't Baylor, Oregon or Uconn we are talking about. This is a team who built a huge lead on us in large part due to our defensive negligence and proceeded to nearly throw all of that big lead away late. This is a team with two dynamic players (similar to UB) and the remainder of the lineup that tends to go hot and cold (similar to UB). The non-conference resumes of CMU and UB are nearly identical and both are superior to both Miami and Ohio's.

Obviously the loss to BG is the big factor in UB being on the outside of the bubble....take that away are we are likely right on the cusp instead of the 5th team out right now, although we are still ahead of Ohio in most projections. Winning out in the regular season, including wins over Ohio and Miami, would likely put us back in the last 4 in entering the MAC tourney. A split with them and we likely have to make the final with a win over CMU in the semis to have a shot at an at large.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TML1000 said:

CMU is a obviously very good but I think many of you are overrating them a touch here...this isn't Baylor, Oregon or Uconn we are talking about. This is a team who built a huge lead on us in large part due to our defensive negligence and proceeded to nearly throw all of that big lead away late. This is a team with two dynamic players (similar to UB) and the remainder of the lineup that tends to go hot and cold (similar to UB). The non-conference resumes of CMU and UB are nearly identical and both are superior to both Miami and Ohio's.

Obviously the loss to BG is the big factor in UB being on the outside of the bubble....take that away are we are likely right on the cusp instead of the 5th team out right now, although we are still ahead of Ohio in most projections. Winning out in the regular season, including wins over Ohio and Miami, would likely put us back in the last 4 in entering the MAC tourney. A split with them and we likely have to make the final with a win over CMU in the semis to have a shot at an at large.

if we can get wins against Ohio and Miami of course winning against the lower teams in conference we should be in good shape. I still contend that we have to somehow negate or limit Frost and put more ball pressure on Hudson in order to succeed against CMU. But we can compete against them if we play close to how we played against Ball State .Have confidence in this team. Go Bulls!!!!

4 hours ago, TML1000 said:

But like the last good UB teams just couldn't get past DJ Cooper, I don't think we matchup well against CMU. I keep seeing us play defense like a hockey PK, we let you pass it low, collapse low, and either your force up a shot in the trees, or you have to kick it out, with our guards waiting in the passing lanes.

Well CMU can play catch between Hudson and Frost all day, they wont turn it over, they'll hit the hard shots, and are lights out with an open shot. In alumni they doubled Dillard all day...if Hall can be that solid shooting 3rd option and stick to Hudson without fouling, we'd have a chance but thats a tough assignment. 

7 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

But like the last good UB teams just couldn't get past DJ Cooper, I don't think we matchup well against CMU. I keep seeing us play defense like a hockey PK, we let you pass it low, collapse low, and either your force up a shot in the trees, or you have to kick it out, with our guards waiting in the passing lanes.

Well CMU can play catch between Hudson and Frost all day, they wont turn it over, they'll hit the hard shots, and are lights out with an open shot. In alumni they doubled Dillard all day...if Hall can be that solid shooting 3rd option and stick to Hudson without fouling, we'd have a chance but thats a tough assignment. 

Do agree with your analysis. Hall in too many games is not in the offense flow at all. She dribbles the ball up and just passes to another player without really looking to penetrate or looking for a shot. Finess Dickson has been getting increased playing time on the point and has some flashes of good play but plays like a freshman. The recipe by the other teams is put ball pressure on Dillard and double team her during the game. It’s is imperative for Hemphill to have good games on the offensive end and get contributions from several other players in order to compete against CMU, Miami and Ohio. We just have to have a different defensive strategy when playing these teams who have more quickness and height. Do have confidence in this team and am looking forward to the remaining games. Go Bulls!!!!!