Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Recruiting Question

SGBull

Correct me if I am wrong but I read that we have 6 scholarship offers out right now Noah Williams, Tujautae Williams, Raymond Hawkins, Tajzmel Sherman, Quenton Jackson, and AJ Bramah.

Given that we have 5 seniors leaving and 3 commits, I would assume we only have 2 open roster spots. How does this work with the offers? Do they just make many offers and it is a first come first serve based on who accepts first?

We have 7 out right now, you are forgetting Brewton

yeah, they are all prefaced by a million things. The goal is to try to get them to commit ASAP from their offer. 

Mainly if you recruit someone else at that position and dont have a few openings, it's easy to tell if someone has declined. 

Also, it's a fine line in guessing for transfers. You want to be prepared with a quality player if someone says they are leaving

You dont just normally get the best player in program history after someone transfers (CJ) however, that isn't as one for one as many make it seem. UB didn't gain CJ with Navigato's scholarship, no matter what the people on CBSSN say, they had a bunch of openings. I still would have liked Navigato WITH CJ on this team. 

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

We have 7 out right now, you are forgetting Brewton.

Also forgetting Rashaun Agee.

I think it becomes clear as the recruiting process plays out which prospects are strongly considering us and which are not. I read on these very boards that Bramah is not or wasn’t high on us. Therefore leads me to believe that the coaching staff then switching and goes after other talent. Which is why we got in late on Hawkins and a few others. Bc they know we might not sign guys such as Bramah or Sherman or Jackson.

I tell you what though...good problem to have. Shows how far we’ve come in the recruiting circles.

Edited by DooleyBull06

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

We have 7 out right now, you are forgetting Brewton

yeah, they are all prefaced by a million things. The goal is to try to get them to commit ASAP from their offer. 

Mainly if you recruit someone else at that position and dont have a few openings, it's easy to tell if someone has declined. 

Also, it's a fine line in guessing for transfers. You want to be prepared with a quality player if someone says they are leaving

You dont just normally get the best player in program history after someone transfers (CJ) however, that isn't as one for one as many make it seem. UB didn't gain CJ with Navigato's scholarship, no matter what the people on CBSSN say, they had a bunch of openings. I still would have liked Navigato WITH CJ on this team. 

No thanks on Navigato. Great shooter. But waaaay too slow. He’d be like an anchor in our high octane offense

12 hours ago, UB85 said:

No thanks on Navigato. Great shooter. But waaaay too slow. He’d be like an anchor in our high octane offense

Agreed. Navigato is not even THAT great of a shooter. He's okay. But the guy isn't a good rebounder and also isn't that great of a defender. And as you've stated, is slow. Him bailing was great for us. And I bet you he regrets not coming here.

37 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

We got CJ when Navigato bailed. IDK about Bearden...

We had a scholarship for CJ regardless of Navigato.

People link the two because Navigato transferred a few days before.

CJ was coming regardless. Navigato just opened up another scholarship.

April 6th, 2015 - Bobby Frasco transfers = +1

April 21st, 2015 - David Kadiri signs = even

April 24th, 2015 - Nate Navigato transfers = +1

April 24th, 2015 - Shannon Evans transfers = +2

May 7th, 2015 - Willie Connor signs = +1

May 8th, 2015 - Maurice O'Field transfers =+2

May 13th, 2015 - Torrian Graham transfers =+3

May 13, 2015 - Blake Hamilton signs = +2

May 31st, 2015 - CJ Massinburg signs (visited May 11th) = +1

September 1st, 2015 - Nikola Rakićević signs = Even

I never understood the CJ - Navigato mix. 

Edited by Kevin

28 minutes ago, Kevin said:

April 6th, 2015 - Bobby Frasco transfers

April 24th, 2015 - Nate Navigato transfers

April 24th, 2015 - Shannon Evans transfers

May 8th, 2015 - Maurice O'Field transfers

May 13th, 2015 - Torrian Graham transfers

May 31st, 2015 - CJ Massinburg signs (visited May 11th)

My guess would be that the others were currently players or transfers. Naviagato was going to be an incoming freshman, so that is why people linked them. 

1 minute ago, SGBull said:

My guess would be that the others were currently players or transfers. Naviagato was going to be an incoming freshman, so that is why people linked them. 

One is a shooting 4

one is a 2 lol

I Can't confirm but i think we ate a scholarship that year

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

One is a shooting 4

one is a 2 lol

I Can't confirm but i think we ate a scholarship that year

I was pointing out why people link them, it has nothing to do with position. It is because they are in the same class, Nate decommitted from Buffalo, and CJ committed shortly after. 

4 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I was pointing out why people link them, it has nothing to do with position. It is because they are in the same class, Nate decommitted from Buffalo, and CJ committed shortly after. 

Recruiting has EVERYTHING to do with position though. 

Torian Graham's spot was more accurately given to CJ. 

Hamilton's spot was gained from Navigato. 

At the end of the day, it was Nikola who wouldn't have gotten a spot if Nate Navigato stayed.

Ill take Nate over 1.5 years of Nikola. 

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Recruiting has EVERYTHING to do with position though. 

Torian Graham's spot was more accurately given to CJ. 

Hamilton's spot was gained from Navigato. 

At the end of the day, it was Nikola who wouldn't have gotten a spot if Nate Navigato stayed.

Ill take Nate over 1.5 years of Nikola. 

Yes it does, but the recruiters aren’t the ones who are linking CJ and Nate. It is commentators and fans.

I’m not saying they should be linked. You said you don’t get the reason why people do it. I said that is my best guess why.

5 minutes ago, SGBull said:

Yes it does, but the recruiters aren’t the ones who are linking CJ and Nate. It is commentators and fans.

I’m not saying they should be linked. You said you don’t get the reason why people do it. I said that is my best guess why.

Gotcha.

I'd assume that's true. Plus its better to directly say a guy who you are playing against left you a spot, rather than a 1 year 5 star at ASU who was good there lol.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Safe to say we dodged that bullet. Is it me or has Navigato put on weight too? Either way thank the heavens for CJ. 

Our family thought the same thing. He looked like he put on a lot of weight and was very slow. How about O’Field. He never did pan out at Arizona State. You just never know about players if they are going to turn out to be good/great college players. Go Bulls!!!!!

Shhhhh.... your killing the media narrative.  Just play along and laugh at Toledo.  They do seem to love slow players.  Their women’s team almost outdraws the men there, which I respect.  But maybe they get confused on the recruiting end.  Navigato would be a decent ladies D1 defender, average women D1 shooter tho...  

7 hours ago, Kevin said:April 6th, 2015 - Bobby Frasco transfers = +1

April 21st, 2015 - David Kadiri signs = even

April 24th, 2015 - Nate Navigato transfers = +1

April 24th, 2015 - Shannon Evans transfers = +2

May 7th, 2015 - Willie Connor signs = +1

May 8th, 2015 - Maurice O'Field transfers =+2

May 13th, 2015 - Torrian Graham transfers =+3

May 13, 2015 - Blake Hamilton signs = +2

May 31st, 2015 - CJ Massinburg signs (visited May 11th) = +1

September 1st, 2015 - Nikola Rakićević signs = Even

/start dream sequence

Charity 3 on 3 game at Alumni in the summer 5 years from now. One sub.

Hurley comes back and coaches a Navigato, Evans, O’Field, Graham and Frasco team

Oats coaches Kadiri, Conner, Hamilton and Massinburg.

Nikola maybe healthy enough to ref?

we raise money for a (enter good cause here) and after the Oats 20 point beat down of the Hurley squad we spend weeks talking about our good fortune on this message board.  Good times had by all.

/end dream sequence 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 9:38 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

Safe to say we dodged that bullet. Is it me or has Navigato put on weight too? Either way thank the heavens for CJ. 

Why do we dislike Navigato? He's going to have the most three-pointers in MAC history.

Why exactly are we better than having that on the roster during this top-25 season? 

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

Why do we dislike Navigato? He's going to have the most three-pointers in MAC history.

Why exactly are we better than having that on the roster during this top-25 season? 

Do not dislike any player. You are right that we will never know if Navigato stayed here how he would of turned out. That’s the dilemma for a player when there is a coaching change if he should stay or go. These are all young kids who have to decide what is best for them and probably get a lot of input from family and friends. Go Bulls!!!!! 

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

No hate no dislike. Just love the player we have in CJ. Love the team we’ve built. And just having fun with the whole Navigato/CJ narrative.

15 hours ago, Kevin said:

No dislike.  Navigato made the right choice for Navigato.  He would not of made a bunch of threes at UB.  Because he would of barely seen the court. You have to play defense to play here.