Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

NBA Age Limit

DooleyBull06

https://247sports.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/Article/Report-NBA-submitting-proposal-to-lower-draft-age-to-18-129355238/

If/when this happens this could mean the end of mid majors. All the 5 star prospects would jump to the draft. Leaving the power conference recruiting the leftover 4 stars and having to bring in 3 star prospects to fill a class. What will be left for programs like us...not much. There simple would be too many schools too little prospects to go around.

I think this actually helps mid majors. We didn't get CJ for example because a 5 star took his spot. He was completely under the radar. This helps programs that are good at finding talent and developing it. I count 18 one and dones in last year's class and I don't think any of our guys would have been one of the next 18 guys on a power Program other than Jeremy maybe if someone went the JUCO route. That number might be even lower if players don't have a chance to prove themselves at the college level. Trae Young was a good recruit but I don't think anyone would pick him to jump from high school to the NBA. In the end I don't think the talent drop off will even be noticeable.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

https://247sports.com/nba/cleveland-cavaliers/Article/Report-NBA-submitting-proposal-to-lower-draft-age-to-18-129355238/

If/when this happens this could mean the end of mid majors. All the 5 star prospects would jump to the draft. Leaving the power conference recruiting the leftover 4 stars and having to bring in 3 star prospects to fill a class. What will be left for programs like us...not much. There simple would be too many schools too little prospects to go around.

With all due respect, this changes nothing except the Dukes of the world won’t get game changers like Zion anymore. The NBA draft is only 2 rounds, and the amount of 18 year olds who will enter it is going to be less than 5 per year. It’s a drop in the ocean of recruits.

I hope you guys are right. There’s always a trickle down. And usually the little guys get screwed. Using CJ as an example. Maybe in the future a person like him would have had more options and he wouldn’t have fallen into our laps. 

Now that we are moving up in the world of recruiting I would hate to see the bigger programs come swimming in our end of the pool for recruits bc their end was being drained by the NBA.

I def hope I’m wrong but this will be interesting once the time comes.

14 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I hope you guys are right. There’s always a trickle down. And usually the little guys get screwed. Using CJ as an example. Maybe in the future a person like him would have had more options and he wouldn’t have fallen into our laps. 

Now that we are moving up in the world of recruiting I would hate to see the bigger programs come swimming in our end of the pool for recruits bc their end was being drained by the NBA.

I def hope I’m wrong but this will be interesting once the time comes.

I think we really have to take a step back and let this play out. The NBA has a lot of smart,intelligent people running their league. The number of 18 year olds that would truly be ready to jump to the NBA will be minimal as far as overall numbers. The majority of college players that make it to the NBA are so minimal that there would still be many players to recruit. Go Bulls!!

18 minutes ago, John said:

I think we really have to take a step back and let this play out. The NBA has a lot of smart,intelligent people running their league. The number of 18 year olds that would truly be ready to jump to the NBA will be minimal as far as overall numbers. The majority of college players that make it to the NBA are so minimal that there would still be many players to recruit. Go Bulls!!

Not only that, but, teams arent going to want to invest in inexperienced high school players unless they are of the status of Zion Williamson. 

I think this rule would still be of the same like before the one and done rule. I could see MAYBE 2-3 players who get drafted at age 18, if they are deemed good enough and ready.

19 minutes ago, John said:

I’m just providing some conversation based on what’s been in the news. Yes the nba has smart ppl but they are always going to work in favor of the nba. I can see the league allowing high schoolers and using the G League as a minor league. That’s been rumored. Of course this is a ways away and all will be determined by a new CBA but just some food for thought. Athletes wanna get paid...eventually they will, by whom is the question.

43 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’m just providing some conversation based on what’s been in the news. Yes the nba has smart ppl but they are always going to work in favor of the nba. I can see the league allowing high schoolers and using the G League as a minor league. That’s been rumored. Of course this is a ways away and all will be determined by a new CBA but just some food for thought. Athletes wanna get paid...eventually they will, by whom is the question.

Do understand it is good conversation and good insights. A number of sports media types talked about this topic today and most thought the 18 year old rule is okay and that these 18 year olds should be able to go to the NBA if they so desired. most of these kids would have to go to the G league first and I not sure if totally true but on average they make around $100,000 and not sure how long that is for.  I am sure there will still be enough kids that will want to get an education and play basketball on a scholarship. Go Bulls!!!!!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...