Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Akron @ #21 UB (2/26 - 7pm EST)

Jeseph

• Jeseph pinned this topic

The Akron game a few weeks ago was tight for most of the game.  They play aggressive defense and did some nice things offensively with screens to get open layups.  Other than that, they just don't have the firepower on offense to keep up.   I am interested to see how UB tries to attack Akron's defense and how UB will defend the screens.  The latter is important when incorporating less experienced defenders (i.e. Segu, Williams) into the player rotation.

Piggy backing off previous comments I think having already played them we can study the film and look to exploit them. I feel like this game in the end won’t be close...we have too much firepower. Unless their 3s fall, and they chuck up a lot of them not at a high percentage just volume, they can’t hang. Let’s close out this homestand with another big victory. Go Bulls!!!

Akron has some of the worst road splits in the country and the worst road record in the conference at 1-8.

They hadn't won a road game until 2/2 against Ohio. 

This is going to be a tough one for them to come in and play a team on a 24 game win streak. It's literally opposite teams

25 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Akron has some of the worst road splits in the country and the worst road record in the conference at 1-8.

This is going to be a tough one for them to come in and play a team on a 24 game win streak. It's literally opposite teams

Need to stay focused and play 40 minutes of defense. Akron I am sure will come out with defense intensity. Need to have our good ball movement and get everyone involved. Hope for another sellout and loud, boisterous crowd. Go Bulls!!!!

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

I wouldn't take anything for granted. You could also look at this as Akron being hungry for a signature road win.

Our guys need to stay focused and play this 4 minutes at a time and dominate.

45 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

I wouldn't take anything for granted. You could also look at this as Akron being hungry for a signature road win.

Our guys need to stay focused and play this 4 minutes at a time and dominate.

Maybe, but I'm not the one playing. 

As long as the TEAM doesn't take it for granted. 

Their signature win was their home win against Kent. 

This is a tough game for UB.  Akron really played hard on defense for most of the game...heck, it was still only a few points at the end.

After the feast of the last two games, I wonder what type of effort UB will be able to muster on a Tuesday night (following the high of last Friday with that crowd).

Certainly the road games in Oxford and Athens, since they are on the road, will get their attention.  But this one...is a bit of a trap.   The betting line is down to 13. 

This is going to be a dogfight, in my opinion.  Even the best and bluest blood teams go through ups and downs during the season.  After all, these are college kids.  UB doesn't have that sort of history of expectations.  Working in their favor, however, is their senior-laden team.  

We will see how it goes. 

Defense made the difference last night along with stellar play from Perk and CJ. Harris still can’t find his shooting touch. Oats has to be judicious using Jenathan going forward. He adds little offensively and is a big defensive liability. I think Akron’s two biggest runs were with him in the line up. Also impressive assist to turnover ratio of 20/6 I believe. Akron has 16 turnovers.  Just an impressive lock down defensive performance in the last 10+ minutes of the second half. 

We had another thread about renovating AA. There was a debate about adding more seating. I'm all for that, but this (see photo) is NOT what I had in mind. Whoever is in charge had the brilliant idea to add 4 seats in the aisle that is used by hundreds of fans to get to the GA section. There was a guard posted next to the seats the entire game, where  his only job was to tell folks they had to "go around". Going around meant walking onto the court in front of the court-side seats. Wow, are we THAT desperate for money?

IMG_0114.jpg

39 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Harris still can’t find his shooting touch.

My favorite quote almost every single game during conference play has been "Harris at some point is going to find his shot". Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. He's just not very good shooting the ball this year, and with 3 games to go, we've seen about as much as we will see from Harris. I don't know what happened to him, but man, he has lost his edge from last year.

12 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

My favorite quote almost every single game during conference play has been "Harris at some point is going to find his shot". Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. He's just not very good shooting the ball this year, and with 3 games to go, we've seen about as much as we will see from Harris. I don't know what happened to him, but man, he has lost his edge from last year.

Then he has to do the little things...find the open guy, deflect passes on defense, rebound aggressively and drive to the basket on offense.  He is not hitting outside shots...so, go inside.

But yes...he has a lot of shots that seem to go in and out from outside.

18 minutes ago, UB92 said:

Then he has to do the little things...find the open guy, deflect passes on defense, rebound aggressively and drive to the basket on offense.  He is not hitting outside shots...so, go inside.

But yes...he has a lot of shots that seem to go in and out from outside.

He does do a lot for us. Defending, rebounding, controlling the pace on the offensive end. But, he's not making any shots. More than anything right now, we need him to step up offensively and make baskets. He is so talented and much better than what his stats reflect. 

7 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

He does do a lot for us. Defending, rebounding, controlling the pace on the offensive end. But, he's not making any shots. More than anything right now, we need him to step up offensively and make baskets. He is so talented and much better than what his stats reflect. 

He says it's a slump but it has to be something physical. I'm hoping it is just mental since that can be overcome. We can get through MAC teams with him not hitting shots but if we want another marquee win like Arizona we need him to be a threat from outside. If Harris from 2019 showed up against AZ last year, I don't think we win that game despite the ultimately 21 point win.

• Like 1

Oats made mention of this a few times but I want to give another shoutout to Perkins with his ability to stay in front of smaller guards last night. He has a tendency to get beat on the first step off dribble drives but last night he got low, stayed in great position and didn’t let fast players by him. This was a huge boost to our team defense!

• Like 1