Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Akron @ #21 UB (2/26 - 7pm EST)

Jeseph

The Bulls have seen so many teams' best shots this season, and some of them work...for a while.  Teams are trying to cram it inside, get really physical on defense, and that works until UB gets serious about positioning for rebounds.  Despite shooting badly (and Akron shot slightly worse), the Bulls' maturity helped them keep their cool down the stretch and grind this one out.  I didn't like some of the easy buckets the Zips got for a while, hitting that cutting player under the hoop, and I could tell Oats didn't like it either. During that decisive phase of the game, UB made the tough baskets and finally hit their free throws, and Akron dried up.  I liked a lot of the offensive rebounds for UB last night, keeping possessions alive, popping it back out to the perimeter.

Perkins - another really good game from him, touch around the net, foul shooting, and some threes.  There were going to be games where UB would need a tough inside presence
CJ - another of what we consider now a "normal" game from him
Graves - he used up most of his touch from three a few games ago, but he did a nice job getting to the basket and coming down with rebounds. A big dunk midway through the second half that helped flip the lead on Akron and got the crowd going.
Harris - hey when it's not working outside, he's still so good going to the net, using his long reach to get a step past defenders, and his touch off the glass is superb.  His rebounding on defense has improved.
Dontay - the layups weren't dropping for him until a big one near the end

Akron - I love watching their staff lose their minds.  Groce - the cops were waiting for you again this year (though it's Akron - the cops are always waiting).  He's either flipping out or giving a little golf-clap to the proceedings.  They stuck in this game for a long time but it eroded away on them late.  Cheese was shooting well in the first half but UB clamped down on that afterwards.  Akron, like our last couple opponents, was really trying to work screens at the top of the key to drive the lane.  By the end, Groce probably thought "the game is over, I can risk a technical now." 

Is it just me, or does it seem like the other team makes these contested three's that the Bulls have defended well, while UB misses wide open ones.  And I wish more guys would take the open jumper.  They fake out the defender at the perimeter, they have a window to shoot...but take it into traffic or pass.  Some of UB's shot charts from these games show a team that's either shooting layups or three's, and little in between.

Crowd - that's what I'm talking about!  The Bulls got the lead after being down 5 in the second half and the place came alive, people got loud on defense every trip after that.  That's more like it.

9 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Oats made mention of this a few times but I want to give another shoutout to Perkins with his ability to stay in front of smaller guards last night. He has a tendency to get beat on the first step off dribble drives but last night he got low, stayed in great position and didn’t let fast players by him. This was a huge boost to our team defense!

It may have been one of Perkins' best defensive nights I've seen this year. 

Dreads Perkins is different from non-dreads Perkins. 

27 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

He does do a lot for us. Defending, rebounding, controlling the pace on the offensive end

I agree but disagree with the point on defending. Not sure how the stat gurus look at it. Harris was burned a couple times last night on defense. He was lazy on switching ball screens and can't catch players when they drive. It just looks like a lack of effort. I was more conformable with Perkins guarding the guard on ball screens than Harris. Perkins defense has been incredible.

I refuse to believe this is the way Harris will finish his career here. I have a feeling about the MAC tournament. I think he finds his rhythm then. It is clearly all in his head. 

8 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

Crowd - that's what I'm talking about!  The Bulls got the lead after being down 5 in the second half and the place came alive, people got loud on defense every trip after that.  That's more like it.

Now let's try to get  the crowd going for the entire game rather than 10 minutes left in the game! My girlfriend screamed at a free throw doing a high pitched noise. (It was loud! But the player missed both free throws). The people in our seasons area told her not to do it again. Not sure what the culture has been for the past 20 years. That time is dead. It is time we get loud and support this team. On March 8, we are going all out. Who knows if season ticket holders will try to get us kicked out.

15 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

Now let's try to get  the crowd going for the entire game rather than 10 minutes left in the game! My girlfriend screamed at a free throw doing a high pitched noise. (It was loud! But the player missed both free throws). The people in our seasons area told her not to do it again. Not sure what the culture has been for the past 20 years. That time is dead. It is time we get loud and support this team. On March 8, we are going all out. Who knows if season ticket holders will try to get us kicked out.

Good for her.  You're there to cheer on your team, not for a quiet night out.  Scream, shout, stomp...  My wife gets the stink eye from some around us at the football games because she has a rather large cowbell.  How do we counter that?  The couple next to us doesn't seem to mind it, so we bought them one too.  If you want quiet, go to the opera.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mikescherrer8 said:

My favorite quote almost every single game during conference play has been "Harris at some point is going to find his shot". Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. He's just not very good shooting the ball this year, and with 3 games to go, we've seen about as much as we will see from Harris. I don't know what happened to him, but man, he has lost his edge from last year.

Is it mental or is it physical? He had tendinitis earlier this season. In conference play he’s hitting under 24% from 3. Take out the first Toledo game and he’s under 19%. If he returns to being the shooter from last year, he makes it so much more difficult to defend the Bulls. 

Agree with all the posts about the crowd last night. Graves’ tomahawk dunk got it going. Go Bulls!

I love Harris, we don't get to where we are as a program without him. That being said, his struggles are starting to come at a detriment to the team. He's had some good effort games getting assists/rebounds and a few drives a game but too much of the offense includes finding him open shots. When those become 1 and done possessions we have to work that much harder to score. I hope for his sake he's not injured and for our sake that he can shake it ASAP if it's mental. We need his scoring to let this offense flow.

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

My favorite quote almost every single game during conference play has been "Harris at some point is going to find his shot". Yeah, I'm not so sure about that. He's just not very good shooting the ball this year, and with 3 games to go, we've seen about as much as we will see from Harris. I don't know what happened to him, but man, he has lost his edge from last year.

Do agree. You can see it in his body language and it has gotten worse as each game goes by. He is now hesitant even taking the 3’s or driving which allows the defense more time to guard him. He was even a little sloppy with the ball and now even his rebounding is suffering. Nate even subbed for him late in the game instead of having him on the floor. I have heard he is still in the gym shooting 3’s but now it is such a mental thing that unless he hits a three right at the start of a game it affects how he shoots the rest of the game. It is good to be in the gym but unless it translates to the actual game I am not sure all the shooting helps. A good case in point is both Segu and Williams I am told are in the gym shooting but it has not translated to the game. Williams is like 4-44 from 3’s for 9%. That being said the whole year has brought highlight after highlight with  more to come. Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, BullsFan14 said:

I agree but disagree with the point on defending. Not sure how the stat gurus look at it. Harris was burned a couple times last night on defense. He was lazy on switching ball screens and can't catch players when they drive. It just looks like a lack of effort. I was more conformable with Perkins guarding the guard on ball screens than Harris. Perkins defense has been incredible.

I refuse to believe this is the way Harris will finish his career here. I have a feeling about the MAC tournament. I think he finds his rhythm then. It is clearly all in his head. 

Are we really yelling about making noise in the season ticket sections? Ugh that’s such a bummer. Are they too good to get into it?

the section below the press tables seems to be pretty good at getting into. They were even standing the last minute of the first half against Kent. 

25 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I love Harris, we don't get to where we are as a program without him. That being said, his struggles are starting to come at a detriment to the team. He's had some good effort games getting assists/rebounds and a few drives a game but too much of the offense includes finding him open shots. When those become 1 and done possessions we have to work that much harder to score. I hope for his sake he's not injured and for our sake that he can shake it ASAP if it's mental. We need his scoring to let this offense flow.

Agree. We all love Harris as we have talked to him a couple times and he is a great kid. his shooting woes have started to affect the rest of his game namely his defense and rebounding. You can just see it in his body language. He just has to keep his head up and have the team first attitude. Still have faith he can turn it around. Go Bulls!!!!

IMO, keep making noise. The people bothered by it can go stand on the track or simply decide not to return the following game.

I don't mean to "gate keep" but if you're bothered by noise at sports arena, watch at home and let somebody else purchase your seats.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Yeah I guess it’s one thing to not get into it yourself, but to tell others to quiet down is not cool. 

Going to any sporting event you have to expect loud and vocal fans and you can not expect fans to be quiet or not say something. Our family yell at the top of our lungs and stand up many times. We will never stop being passionate supporters of our team. This is the best of times. Go Bulls!!!!

1 hour ago, enrique14150 said:

The Bulls have seen so many teams' best shots this season, and some of them work...for a while.  Teams are trying to cram it inside, get really physical on defense, and that works until UB gets serious about positioning for rebounds.  Despite shooting badly (and Akron shot slightly worse), the Bulls' maturity helped them keep their cool down the stretch and grind this one out.  I didn't like some of the easy buckets the Zips got for a while, hitting that cutting player under the hoop, and I could tell Oats didn't like it either. During that decisive phase of the game, UB made the tough baskets and finally hit their free throws, and Akron dried up.  I liked a lot of the offensive rebounds for UB last night, keeping possessions alive, popping it back out to the perimeter.

Perkins - another really good game from him, touch around the net, foul shooting, and some threes.  There were going to be games where UB would need a tough inside presence
CJ - another of what we consider now a "normal" game from him
Graves - he used up most of his touch from three a few games ago, but he did a nice job getting to the basket and coming down with rebounds. A big dunk midway through the second half that helped flip the lead on Akron and got the crowd going.
Harris - hey when it's not working outside, he's still so good going to the net, using his long reach to get a step past defenders, and his touch off the glass is superb.  His rebounding on defense has improved.
Dontay - the layups weren't dropping for him until a big one near the end

Akron - I love watching their staff lose their minds.  Groce - the cops were waiting for you again this year (though it's Akron - the cops are always waiting).  He's either flipping out or giving a little golf-clap to the proceedings.  They stuck in this game for a long time but it eroded away on them late.  Cheese was shooting well in the first half but UB clamped down on that afterwards.  Akron, like our last couple opponents, was really trying to work screens at the top of the key to drive the lane.  By the end, Groce probably thought "the game is over, I can risk a technical now." 

Is it just me, or does it seem like the other team makes these contested three's that the Bulls have defended well, while UB misses wide open ones.  And I wish more guys would take the open jumper.  They fake out the defender at the perimeter, they have a window to shoot...but take it into traffic or pass.  Some of UB's shot charts from these games show a team that's either shooting layups or three's, and little in between.

Another great recap of game. On Caruthers, the last two games he has played a little out of control especially on driving to the basket. You have to pick and choose when driving. Whe he makes his mind up to drive it does not matter if it is two or three players or some big guys down low he just goes and he has been unsuccessful the last two games. no way am I criticizing his effort or overall play but I think he just has to rein it in at times.  Do agree the last two games we had great defensive intensity especaially in the 2nd half which turned the game in our favor as both Kent ST and Akron are very quick and athletic teams. Go Bulls!!!!!

3 minutes ago, John said:

On Caruthers, the last two games he has played a little out of control especially on driving to the basket. You have to pick and choose when driving. When he makes his mind up to drive it does not matter if it is two or three players or some big guys down low he just goes and he has been unsuccessful the last two games. no way am I criticizing his effort or overall play but I think he just has to rein it in at times.

I struggle with this. Dontay has one gear and it's 120% all-out max effort. It has been our reason for winning at times but when he's struggling to hit it can lean to fouls and TOs. The frustrating thing is that I think (of course I'm wearing blue-tinted glasses) he draws a ton of contact at the rim and NEVER gets the call. Maybe he's flying too fast and the refs see him as drawing the contact but with the amount of times he gets mugged by 2-3 players and ends up on the floor with no whistle is perplexing. At some point I guess he has to realize he's not going to get the call and approach things differently but I don't think it fits his game to slow down.

6 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I struggle with this. Dontay has one gear and it's 120% all-out max effort. It has been our reason for winning at times but when he's struggling to hit it can lean to fouls and TOs. The frustrating thing is that I think (of course I'm wearing blue-tinted glasses) he draws a ton of contact at the rim and NEVER gets the call. Maybe he's flying too fast and the refs see him as drawing the contact but with the amount of times he gets mugged by 2-3 players and ends up on the floor with no whistle is perplexing. At some point I guess he has to realize he's not going to get the call and approach things differently but I don't think it fits his game to slow down.

Do agree and that is a right on point. We have noticed that also especially last night on many of his drives there was big time contact with no fouls and you wonder why. Because he is a smaller gut going in the paint with the big guys. I think that was one of the reasons Nate and staff were on the officialsin the first half with no fouls being called. In the 2nd half the foul calls changed in our favor big time. I think that is what the Akron coach was so upset about toward the end of the game. Another great and exciting win. On another note we had a change to talk to Jamie Quayle’s after the game and we congratulated him on a good job. Hope more fans can meet these coaches and express their gratitude for the jobs they are doing. Go Bulls!!!!

Solid overall win last night. I love when other teams try to impose their will on us and we respond and say ok we will play your style and beat you. That’s what we did last night. We tightened up the D in the 2nd half and Akron went cold from outside. We pounded the ball inside to Perk and got them in foul trouble. Good adjustments made and a good win. 

On any night any of our guys can beat you and last night was the big 2 (CJ and Perk) and Graves. Still hoping Harris steps up as the calendar turns to March. At this point I’m worried bc with him hitting shots we are so much better. But we still are balanced to overcome his poor shooting. 

One thing of concern are the silly fouls Dontay and Jordan are picking up. Also the tech that Perkins got. Albeit he dominated after but we have to be more composed than that. If Dontay drives to the rim misses and feels he was fouled he can’t get up and commit a frustration foul. Gotta be more composed. 

Onto Miami.

Caruthers driving to the rim seeks out the contact.  At one point last night dontay ran into a screener so violently that I look at my brother whom was already laughing and asked, can a defender running into a screen be a flagrant foul?  The Akron big looked like he just took a cannonball to the gut Homer Simpson style.  I wouldn’t want to have to ref and have to make calls with Dontay involved.  Toughest guy on the court pretty much every game we’ve played.  But impossible to ref.

6 hours ago, ubfan75 said:

Wow, are we THAT desperate for money?

Yes,

5 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Dreads Perkins is different from non-dreads Perkins. 

Maybe we should try a non-dreads Jeenathan...

3 hours ago, John said:

Agree. We all love Harris as we have talked to him a couple times and he is a great kid. his shooting woes have started to affect the rest of his game namely his defense and rebounding. You can just see it in his body language. He just has to keep his head up and have the team first attitude. Still have faith he can turn it around. Go Bulls!!!!

Through the Ohio game, Harris is #1 in:
plus/minus season (+358, next best Bull is Jordan at +312)
plus/minus conference play (+199, next best Bull is Perk +163)
Corsi season (+170, next best Bull is CJ +148)
Corsi Conference play (+91, next best Bull is CJ +63)

Interestingly, Perk is one of our worse Corsi players in conference but one of our best plus minus... So, when Perk is out there, we're not getting more shots ups, (and thus less hustle plays) but we're scoring more and/or forcing more missed shots from our opponents.

But nothing to indicate that Harris' shooting is affecting the other aspects of his game, as we get more shots up when he's on the court and score more points when he's there...(argument can be made that his poor shooting is masked by our rebounding and a replacement player would be better for us, but that should show up over the course of a full season of games in the plus minus numbers, and they haven't)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

Yes,

Interestingly, Perk is one of our worse Corsi players in conference but one of our best plus minus... So, when Perk is out there, we're not getting more shots ups, (and thus less hustle plays) but we're scoring more and/or forcing more missed shots from our opponents.

But nothing to indicate that Harris' shooting is affecting the other aspects of his game, as we get more shots up when he's on the court and score more points when he's there...(argument can be made that his poor shooting is masked by our rebounding and a replacement player would be better for us, but that should show up over the course of a full season of games in the plus minus numbers, and they haven't)

Well stated. Harris has very good advanced statistics and the team is better when he's out there. 

It's just so tough when you see him go 0-4/0-5 from three. 

His shot will fall, soon. I'm sure of it. 

28 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

Yes,

His rebounding numbers are down the last couple games and even the number of shots he puts up are down compared to the earlier games. He still is one of the more intelligent players we have and he knows how his shooting percentages have dropped  and still tries to make up for it in other ways on the court. It is still a team game and in most cases the team game wins out. Go Bulls!!!!!

I'm conflicted between having him shoot shots until he finds his stroke and having him abandon his 3 game for his amazing old man at the Y paint game.

That said if he took 50% fewer 3's and instead took 2's and scored at the same rate... it would increase his fg% by 6%, but only increase his point production by .56 points per game. So I guess I'm in favor of him shooting till he gets hot, just not at the end of a close game.