Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Big 4 Update: 30-win season in the cards

LINK: Big 4 Update: 30-win season in the cards

Guys,

We've been waiting for March all season and it's finally here! We're only a few weeks away from the MAC Tournament, my favorite time of the year.

Before UB gets there, they'll need to take care of business against Ohio and Bowling Green. I'm confident they will and I'm fairly certain they'll enter the NCAA Tournament with 30+ wins.

That's a crazy number when you think about it and a record that'll be hard to break moving forward!

LINK: Big 4 Update: 30-win season in the cards

Edited by Big 4 Hoops Blogger

6 hours ago, BullsFan14 said:

I like that you called out your Ohio University degree. I hope you enjoyed your time there but welcome back to the light side. 

Were you part of the Ozone while you were there? Your time there was the DJ Cooper days.

I definitely enjoyed my time in Athens but I'm glad to be back home covering the Bulls!

I was a member of the Ozone during DJ Cooper's four years at Ohio and still believe he was one of the best players to ever wear the Green & White. Those Bobcat teams were special, reaching the Second Round in 2010 and the Sweet 16 in 2012.

I originally thought they were a good comparison for what UB was building last season but believe this years team has easily eclipsed them. As I said in my post, the Bulls right now are the best MAC squad I've ever seen, which is saying something.

I grew up rooting for Buffalo and became an Ohio fan in college so I can honestly say I wish the best for both programs.

11 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

sad what's happening in Ohio... all I read at BA is how the once great atmosphere has died off. How does that happen so quickly? Just wrong coach at wrong time?

There's a ton that went into it from John Groce leaving for Illinois to Jim Christian deserting the Bobcats for Boston College to Saul Phillips dealing with a plague of injuries and poor recruiting. The main theme, regime turnover can be problematic and is a huge hurdle for growing mid-major programs.

That's why I was so impressed with Nate Oats when he took over at Buffalo. He became head coach during a pivotal time in UB's history, where they were hoping to carry over the momentum from their first NCAA Tournament.

Making it back right away kept the program afloat, keeping recruiting at a high level and maintained a small level of continuity. Ohio had some bad luck along the way that was out their control. Hopefully the UB administration has taken some notes of the Bobcats mistakes so they don't end up falling down the same path if Oats eventually decided to move on.

59 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

There's a ton that went into it from John Groce leaving for Illinois to Jim Christian deserting the Bobcats for Boston College to Saul Phillips dealing with a plague of injuries and poor recruiting. The main theme, regime turnover can be problematic and is a huge hurdle for growing mid-major programs.

That's why I was so impressed with Nate Oats when he took over at Buffalo. He became head coach during a pivotal time in UB's history, where they were hoping to carry over the momentum from their first NCAA Tournament.

Making it back right away kept the program afloat, keeping recruiting at a high level and maintained a small level of continuity. Ohio had some bad luck along the way that was out their control. Hopefully the UB administration has taken some notes of the Bobcats mistakes so they don't end up falling down the same path if Oats eventually decided to move on.

You just never know what can happen to mid major programs when a coach who was successful leaves for greener pastures(as in more money). John Groce leaving for Illinois, not working out and back in the MAC at Akron. Jim Christian leaving Ohio for Boston College but is on the hot seat there. Shaka Smart leaving VCU and is on the hot seat at Texas. Of course all of them left for big time jumps in salary from the $1.4 - $3 Million. Danny Hurley from Rhode Island going to UCONN in the $3 million range but he will get his 3-5 years to turn that program around. More money in different programs don’t mean more stability.but I guess these individuals always think they will get another job somewhere. You never know or can predict if your program is going to take a backward trend or be successful. It is important to keep Nate for as long as possible. Go Bulls!!!!!

• Like 1