Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#19 UB @ Ohio (3/5 - 7 pm EST)

Kevin

1 hour ago, Phillystile said:

I didn’t think Segu was any worse on the floor than Carruthers was.  Bigger problem was Jeenathan was a complete liability on both ends, and had no business playing at all, and Nate even left him in coming out of a TV timeout after they’d cut the lead to like 5 all on his atrocious defense.  I’m sorry, but if we have a player who shoots 10% from 3 and is allowed to stay on the floor after continuing to take any open jump shot he gets, plus is a defensive liability, Nate has to look at himself here.  Give his minutes to McRae in the 2nd half, and yank him right out for the game in the 1st if he ever takes an outside jumper again this season.

McRae was manhandled all game. Oats couldn’t trust putting him back in. He allowed 12 paint points in one stretch. 

I agree on Williams though. He is no where near ready for this level. 

I’m worried Johnson/Grant/Rojas/Allen will easily jump him next year.

He has some cryptic Instagram stories too. 

Edited by Kevin

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

MAC regular season champs! It was ugly but it’s a win. Harris...hope this is his awakening. I had the game on mute anyone know what happened to Jordan?

Going forward we need to play better defense and cut to dribbling ourselves into the sideline and turning it over. Same ole story right. Come home boys a big party awaits.

Consider yourself lucky, the Ohio broadcasters had to be the worst I’ve ever heard. 

40 minutes ago, ubbulls08 said:

Sheesh. You guys are tough on Segu and Williams.  They are putting it together in their first year of D1 ball. Both have had spurts of really good play. They will be great next year. 

I am not complaining so much as observing the game of basketball. Our family have been involved in basketball in many levels thru our lifetime and we love the college game. On Segu and Williams maybe in many eyes they have been overhyped. Watching all the tapes of Segu and with Williams being a 4 star recruit maybe our expectations are too high. I still have faith that there will be improvement next year. I hope the entire team comes out against Bowling Green and puts on a show for all the fans and we cap it off with the most wins and show our appreciation to all the seniors. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sportscliche said:

Got that right. NIU has a two game home winning streak against UB. Duke barely — just barely — beat ACC cellar dwellers Wake Forest tonight. On Duke’s home floor. 

I caught a little of the Duke game tonight. Guess who is playing on the Wake Forest team??? You guessed it - Ikenna Smart. A last from the past. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I am not complaining so much as observing the game of basketball. Our family have been involved in basketball in many levels thru our lifetime and we love the college game. On Segu and Williams maybe in many eyes they have been overhyped. Watching all the tapes of Segu and with Williams being a 4 star recruit maybe our expectations are too high. I still have faith that there will be improvement next year. I hope the entire team comes out against Bowling Green and puts on a show for all the fans and we cap it off with the most wins and show our appreciation to all the seniors. Go Bulls!!!!

I don’t think they were overhyped at all.  I see 2 of the best freshman UB has ever had.  Just getting playing time on this team as freshman means your something special.  Brock had a B1G offer, redshirted and still can’t see the floor.  Fagan has JUCO experience under his belt, still can’t see the floor.  Oats is playing these kids because their good.  No not as good as our top 7 yet, sure.  But I’m certainly not disappointed, I’m excited.  Both will be very good.

When someone gets any word on the Jordan injury situation pls share.  Watching, I couldn’t tell if it was more head or neck.  Both obviously serious and concussions are no joke.  I know he was holding the back of his head, but my immediate concern was the way the impact jolted his neck.  Maybe one of those stinger type shots.  Was also concerned about Graves’ knee.  But him and CJ seem to be made of rubber. 🙏

4 hours ago, MillenniumBull said:

When someone gets any word on the Jordan injury situation pls share.  Watching, I couldn’t tell if it was more head or neck.  Both obviously serious and concussions are no joke.  I know he was holding the back of his head, but my immediate concern was the way the impact jolted his neck.  Maybe one of those stinger type shots.  Was also concerned about Graves’ knee.  But him and CJ seem to be made of rubber. 🙏

Radio interview with Hodgson said likely nothing serious. 

People on here criticizing freshman is absolutely cringey.

If you fellas wanna talk about how high 3, low 4 star players aren't performing as FRESHMAN, take a look at Nevada's Jordan Brown, top 30 player in the country coming out of high school. Not performing that well as a freshman and gets limited minutes.

You guys need to slow wayyyyyy the hell down on that criticism. Jesus Christ. And when they become good, check yourself at the door for knocking them to begin with. A lot of players develop longer than others.

• Like 1

Regarding Segu and Williams...

Certainly Oats is trying to get them on the court as much as possible to help their development.  Even if it doesn't look great sometimes.  You would expect all of that would be beneficial.

Last year, it was clear to anyone who watched that Graves had a solid first year.  Sure, he made some Freshman mistakes, but he played within himself and he wasn't overwhelmed by the competition.  He fit.  Reese, on the other hand, looked out of place at this level as a Freshman.  Reese made the right decision for himself.

I am optimistic on Segu, but he needs more bulk.  He is going to take a beating on those drives.  And, of course, he needs to work on his defense.  I suspect he will get there. 

Here is my definitive first year memory of Williams:  Hitting a 3 at Akron, saying something to the Akron bench and getting a T.  As a Freshman.  Early in the game.  He has a lot more growing to do if he is going to fulfill his potential and I don't just mean on the defensive end.

There is going to be a bunch of new guys coming in the Fall...several will have at least as much experience as Williams...not necessarily at UB.  It will be a competition and an interesting OOC season.

By the way, the fact that people are criticizing Freshman on this board tells you that we have come a long way as a fan base.  Humans nit-pick.  The team is 27 - 3 and ranked.  Fans nit-pick Harris, but he had a good game tonight and so that has subsided.  They nit-pick Caruthers letting his turnovers impact his defense.  They nit-pick the play of the Freshman.  It is all part of having a nationally ranked program and an increasingly passionate and growing fan base.

Go Bulls.

5 minutes ago, UB92 said:

By the way, the fact that people are criticizing Freshman on this board tells you that we have come a long way as a fan base.  Humans nit-pick.  The team is 27 - 3 and ranked.  Fans nit-pick Harris, but he had a good game tonight and so that has subsided.  They nit-pick Caruthers letting his turnovers impact his defense.  They nit-pick the play of the Freshman.  It is all part of having a nationally ranked program and an increasingly passionate and growing fan base.

"Nit-picking" is fine, if you choose to do so, but it's unnecessary. "Passion" is fabulous, but the constant harping is annoying.

This is a fun team, filled with great guys and coaches. They're 27-3. I just don't see how people sitting behind a keyboard can knock guys because they aren't living up to the standards that they've set for them on the basketball floor. An 18-19 year old kid (or even the 20-22 year old on the team), who is giving his all, learning and getting better, constantly getting criticized by people who don't see the day-to-day practices/drills and don't know what is being asked of them, is ridiculous at every level. Nothing is gained by talking negatively about any of the players if they have a bad possession/game/more, nor can those who are criticizing provide any gains towards those players, so just enough already with it. Enjoy the team that we have this season. There is 1 home game left, (hopefully) 3 games in Cleveland, and an NCAA tournament to be played. Enjoy what we've got, enjoy the ride, support the team, don't knock it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

"Nit-picking" is fine, if you choose to do so, but it's unnecessary. "Passion" is fabulous, but the constant harping is annoying.

This is a fun team, filled with great guys and coaches. They're 27-3. I just don't see how people sitting behind a keyboard can knock guys because they aren't living up to the standards that they've set for them on the basketball floor. An 18-19 year old kid (or even the 20-22 year old on the team), who is giving his all, learning and getting better, constantly getting criticized by people who don't see the day-to-day practices/drills and don't know what is being asked of them, is ridiculous at every level. Nothing is gained by talking negatively about any of the players if they have a bad possession/game/more, nor can those who are criticizing provide any gains towards those players, so just enough already with it. Enjoy the team that we have this season. There is 1 home game left, (hopefully) 3 games in Cleveland, and an NCAA tournament to be played. Enjoy what we've got, enjoy the ride, support the team, don't knock it.

This is what happens, though.  You buy the nit-picking, complaining (even in a 27 win so far season) about players, lack of space in alumni, etc.  You buy all of this when successful, but you do this to get the other side as well (i.e. the success, the passion of the fan base, the multiple national articles on the team, the constant national exposure on Friday, etc.)

It is naive to think that you can have one without the other.

Sure, you can write what you did above if it makes you feel better (and that's fine), but you need to know that it is not going to stop. 

By the way, I have re-read your statement.  Are you saying that no one should complain when a player doesn't perform to someone's expectations?  You write the following:

"Nothing is gained by talking negatively about any of the players if they have a bad possession/game/more, nor can those who are criticizing provide any gains towards those players, so just enough already with it.  Enjoy the team that we have this season."

This, to me, is BS.  You are telling me that I should just enjoy the season we have and I should not criticize?   Ha.   I choose to do both.  I have and will enjoy this fantastic season we have had.  I will also complain when Perkins takes a long three early in a possession that doesn't hit the rim or that a Freshman gets T'ed up when he barks at the other bench and makes it about himself.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, UB92 said:

This, to me, is BS.  You are telling me that I should just enjoy the season we have and I should not criticize?   Ha.   I choose to do both.  I have and will enjoy this fantastic season we have had.  I will also complain when Perkins takes a long three early in a possession that doesn't hit the rim or that a Freshman gets T'ed up when he barks at the other bench and makes it about himself.

When one sits through years of shit with Witherspoon and Cohane, one develops a humbling attitude and appreciates what last season was and what this season is, and what a future could be. Most of us on here can sit back and appreciate the little things because of what the last 25 years has been like. You above all people should also relate to this mindset.

18 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Complaining about players is a sign that your team has hit critical fandom. I'll take it as a good sign.

I agree. As for WIlliams and Segu, I can see both have a ton of potential and I expect a big jump from them next year. One thing I like about them is that they always seem to be playing hard, yes they have some mental lapses and freshmen mistakes, but they are always hustling and staying after games to get up some shots. With all of the seniors graduating, it will be good to have guys like this to create a culture of hard work for the next 3 years.

3 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

People on here criticizing freshman is absolutely cringey.

If you fellas wanna talk about how high 3, low 4 star players aren't performing as FRESHMAN, take a look at Nevada's Jordan Brown, top 30 player in the country coming out of high school. Not performing that well as a freshman and gets limited minutes.

You guys need to slow wayyyyyy the hell down on that criticism. Jesus Christ. And when they become good, check yourself at the door for knocking them to begin with. A lot of players develop longer than others.

Do agree. The facts are the facts. The fact is that not all high school players that are highly touted turn into good D1 players. For as many that make it more do not and it is based on many factors. The other players on the team, team chemistry, good coaches,the conferences they are in, some players have a harder time adjusting to college life. Our family still continue to have faith in all the players this coaching staff brings in. Looking forward to a great win on Friday and a great senior day celebration. Go Bulls!!!!!

28 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

Complaining about players is a sign that your team has hit critical fandom. I'll take it as a good sign.

As a passionate fan and supporter for UB athletics for some 30 years some of the negative comments can be taken too personally. That is what college sports and sports in general are about. Talking about some of the negative plays but also talking about all the positive, good plays. You should be able to do both. That does not make you a bad fan or supporter. Our family have been proud supporters of UB athletics probably longer than some of you have been alive. We have shouted from the roof tops for more support from fans and students alike and will continue to do that. We are talking proud and the majority of comments on this venue show the passion for our teams. We will applaud the positive vibes and criticize the negatives as we do in life in general. Go Bulls!!!!!

• Like 1

• Jeseph unpinned this topic

I hope I word this correctly to not offend anyone’s 1st amendment sensibilities.

Fans need to realize what is typed on a message board is louder then what is yelled inside the arena.  It has a forever echo.  And the entire world can hear it, maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, (ninja turtles know what I’m saying).  So if you would be embarrassed to yell it there, despite your blanket of anonymity here, you need to even be more disciplined.

2 hours ago, UB92 said:

"Complaining" about a Perkins long 3 and someone getting a T for taunting are two completely different things. The first one, you have no idea if that is the game plan or not, or if the player is just going rogue. You're not at practice, you're not at the meetings, so just be quiet about it. If that's not your style, apply to be a coach somewhere, and run your team in the manner that you see fit. Do I agree/disagree with the notion? As the Rock would say, "It doesn't matter", as it's not my team nor my game plan. The 2nd one is not a skill or game plan type of thing, so that is something that we all could agree that we shouldn't be happy about. At the same time, I'm glad he hit that 3, showed that he can do it, as well as the fact that he was jacked up about hitting it (just shouldn't have gotten T'ed for his reaction).

Personally, I find it irresponsible to call out players by name, saying they should or shouldn't be doing this, or doing something better/differently. Clearly, we all want every guy to make every shot, hit every pass exactly where it should be, get every rebound by being perfectly in position, etc. It doesn't happen, and isn't going to happen, not for us or anyone else. We all want the players in the UB uniforms to improve at exponential rates. To blatantly knock guys is just insane in my eyes. Again, you're not in the meetings, you're not at practice, you don't know the plans, you don't know if there are lingering issues or not health-wise, etc. Being passionate is fabulous, and by being on this board, you certainly must have the passion. Talking s^&% about people on the team because they didn't meet your personal expectation is something different, and that's where I get annoyed. If you want to criticize a game plan, disagree with it, you're more than entitled to your opinion. If you aren't happy with someone missing shots, making bad passes, not living up to your expectations of their quality of game,  that's tough luck. 

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

When one sits through years of shit with Witherspoon and Cohane, one develops a humbling attitude and appreciates what last season was and what this season is, and what a future could be. Most of us on here can sit back and appreciate the little things because of what the last 25 years has been like. You above all people should also relate to this mindset.

Here is where we differ.  I do appreciate all of this.  As you probably are referencing, I've written about this several times on this board over the years.  Sitting in an almost empty arena more than 30 years ago watching basketball for the Bulls and the Royals.   I have waited for this for a long time and these past several years, especially this year, has been fantastic.

But...just because I have been waiting this long (in basketball and football), that doesn't mean I shouldn't provide criticism of the play (coaches and players) when I feel it is warranted.  It is that passion that makes me both excited when the team does well...and critical when the team does not.  If I didn't have that passion, I'd shrug at both (or not even be on the board/following games).  Sorry...that's just how it is.  And I focus my critical comments on the play (or play calling).  Not the individual's Twitter feed, background, selection of major, etc.  

Back on the game from yesterday, I told my son prior to the start that I'd take a one point win and get out of Athens as fast as possible.  As this point in the season, any road win is a good win.  Guys are beat up, tired and can't keep the level of motivation at 100%.  It is just how it is.   Ohio embarrassed Akron on the weekend on the road and, I am sure, wanted revenge after getting trampled in Buffalo.  Ohio played well, especially in the paint.  We may have aggressive defenders that can get in front of guys, but as has been a problem all season, we can get beat on screens for easy baskets.  And as someone mentioned, conference opponents have a good book on other teams in the conference and can exploit those areas.  OOC teams...that happens less.

I look forward to a big victory against BGSU and then a run to the MAC Championship title.  Go Bulls!