Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#19 UB @ Ohio (3/5 - 7 pm EST)

Kevin

30 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

"Complaining" about a Perkins long 3 and someone getting a T for taunting are two completely different things. The first one, you have no idea if that is the game plan or not, or if the player is just going rogue. You're not at practice, you're not at the meetings, so just be quiet about it. If that's not your style, apply to be a coach somewhere, and run your team in the manner that you see fit. Do I agree/disagree with the notion? As the Rock would say, "It doesn't matter", as it's not my team nor my game plan. The 2nd one is not a skill or game plan type of thing, so that is something that we all could agree that we shouldn't be happy about. At the same time, I'm glad he hit that 3, showed that he can do it, as well as the fact that he was jacked up about hitting it (just shouldn't have gotten T'ed for his reaction).

Personally, I find it irresponsible to call out players by name, saying they should or shouldn't be doing this, or doing something better/differently. Clearly, we all want every guy to make every shot, hit every pass exactly where it should be, get every rebound by being perfectly in position, etc. It doesn't happen, and isn't going to happen, not for us or anyone else. We all want the players in the UB uniforms to improve at exponential rates. To blatantly knock guys is just insane in my eyes. Again, you're not in the meetings, you're not at practice, you don't know the plans, you don't know if there are lingering issues or not health-wise, etc. Being passionate is fabulous, and by being on this board, you certainly must have the passion. Talking s^&% about people on the team because they didn't meet your personal expectation is something different, and that's where I get annoyed. If you want to criticize a game plan, disagree with it, you're more than entitled to your opinion. If you aren't happy with someone missing shots, making bad passes, not living up to your expectations of their quality of game,  that's tough luck. 

All I have to say about this is the following:

- Weak take saying that "if I don't like it, I should coach".  Laughable, actually, if that is your advice to anyone who is critical.

- This is a Fan Board.  There is going to be criticism.  There are rules on what you can and cannot criticize on the board.  That's why there are mods.  If you don't like reading criticism of a players performance (e.g. Smith should have boxed out Jones better), "that's tough luck".

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

People on here criticizing freshman is absolutely cringey.

If you fellas wanna talk about how high 3, low 4 star players aren't performing as FRESHMAN, take a look at Nevada's Jordan Brown, top 30 player in the country coming out of high school. Not performing that well as a freshman and gets limited minutes.

You guys need to slow wayyyyyy the hell down on that criticism. Jesus Christ. And when they become good, check yourself at the door for knocking them to begin with. A lot of players develop longer than others.

Mental note. We aren't allowed to comment on a team message board about freshman, K got it. 

These aren't the days of Reggie (where two stars need 3 years to be good). These are 3-4 star recruits who are expected to make contributions, without them, we only have a 7 man roster. The team's "best recruits" ever. 

Graves was much further in his development through his fresh year than either of these two.

Either way, the point remains good luck beating out Grant/Johnson/Rojas/Allen/Caldwell

This team is too good to wait. Look at James Jones and James Reese. They are good examples of how progress is needed ASAP on a good team.

Edited by Kevin

4 minutes ago, UB92 said:

All I have to say about this is the following:

- Weak take saying that "if I don't like it, I should coach".  Laughable, actually, if that is your advice to anyone who is critical.

- This is a Fan Board.  There is going to be criticism.  There are rules on what you can and cannot criticize on the board.  That's why there are mods.  If you don't like reading criticism of a players performance (e.g. Smith should have boxed out Jones better), "that's tough luck".

I stand by my statement.

It is a "fan board". Obviously your coach (if you ever played sports that is) must have been nothing but critical of your play at all times. That's clearly the way that good athletes are produced, at least in your mind. There's way more negativity in the posts than positive across the entire board. If I was new to the board, and knew nothing about UB sports and I read the posts of the last several months, I would think that UB was awful and having extremely limited success. It's just foolish and no longer worth my time to read some of the nonsense that spews out of many of the mouths on here.

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Mental note. We aren't allowed to comment on a team message board about freshman, K got it. 

These aren't the days of Reggie (where two stars need 3 years to be good). These are 3-4 recruits who are expected to make contributions, without them, we only have a 7 man roster. 

Graves was much further in his development through his fresh year than either of these two.

Either way, the point remains good luck beating out Grant/Johnson/Rojas/Allen/Caldwell

I agree that freshmen should not get off without any criticism but here are the stat lines for Graves last season v Segu/Williams this year. Is it the case that Graves was indeed further along so he got more minutes or that he received more minutes and thus put up better numbers? Probably a bit of both but interesting comparison in my opinion. If either Segu or Williams played 7 more minutes per game, their numbers would likely look more like Graves'.

Graves - 16.3 minutes per game; 5.1 ppg; 2.3 rpg; 1.0 apg

Segu - 9.6 minutes per game; 2.4 ppg; 0.9 rpg; 1.1 apg

Williams - 9.1 minutes per game; 3.4 ppg; 1.6 rpg; 0.2 apg

That said, Graves has taken a huge step forward this season and I would expect both Segu and Williams to do the same next season.

41 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

"Complaining" about a Perkins long 3 and someone getting a T for taunting are two completely different things. The first one, you have no idea if that is the game plan or not, or if the player is just going rogue. You're not at practice, you're not at the meetings, so just be quiet about it. If that's not your style, apply to be a coach somewhere, and run your team in the manner that you see fit. Do I agree/disagree with the notion? As the Rock would say, "It doesn't matter", as it's not my team nor my game plan. The 2nd one is not a skill or game plan type of thing, so that is something that we all could agree that we shouldn't be happy about. At the same time, I'm glad he hit that 3, showed that he can do it, as well as the fact that he was jacked up about hitting it (just shouldn't have gotten T'ed for his reaction).

Personally, I find it irresponsible to call out players by name, saying they should or shouldn't be doing this, or doing something better/differently. Clearly, we all want every guy to make every shot, hit every pass exactly where it should be, get every rebound by being perfectly in position, etc. It doesn't happen, and isn't going to happen, not for us or anyone else. We all want the players in the UB uniforms to improve at exponential rates. To blatantly knock guys is just insane in my eyes. Again, you're not in the meetings, you're not at practice, you don't know the plans, you don't know if there are lingering issues or not health-wise, etc. Being passionate is fabulous, and by being on this board, you certainly must have the passion. Talking s^&% about people on the team because they didn't meet your personal expectation is something different, and that's where I get annoyed. If you want to criticize a game plan, disagree with it, you're more than entitled to your opinion. If you aren't happy with someone missing shots, making bad passes, not living up to your expectations of their quality of game,  that's tough luck. 

Holy cow. I don't even know where to begin with this.

Another "you can't talk negative" about your team. WHAT? How would anyone ever talk about a game? Cover a game? Tell the truth?

This is sports, high-level sports now. We all want the same thing, a championship. There are no participation trophies. This isn't your son's local tee ball league. 

Now, when we know a player isn't playing to their potential, or well at all, we are allowed to comment on a fan board. There isn't an "ENCOURAGEMENT" only rule. The fact that you wouldn't realize people in an open forum have different ways to process sports is absolutely baffling. Mentioning a player by name and how they are/aren't playing isn't irresponsible at all. 

I have not seen anyone trashing any of the players. Commentary on any player is fine and dandy so long as it doesn’t go into character assanination. As UB fans we stand by each and every player on the roster, want nothing but the best for them and most Importantly want them to enjoy their time at UB while being a good citizen and being the very best they can be athletically. With that said there is nothing wrong pointing out what you see as a shortcoming. For instance as someone pointed out above McRae played poorly in the early going last night giving up easy points in the paint. Is that ragging on a player unfairly or is it just a reasonable observation? I suggest it is the latter. Same for the comments about Dontay. For all we know he may have been extremely ill. But one cannot reasonably suggest he played well last night. And the same goes for the two freshman. I see nothing overboard in the comments about their play. I think it’s pretty clear that Rondo is further ahead his development. It’s also fair to say that his slightness of build could be problematic as he further develops his game. Williams has a longer way to go. His shooting needs some vast improvement as does his defense. He has loads of potential. I hope that he becomes great as someone wrote he would be next year. 

Having played, coached and officiated basketball for more years than I care to admit, I try and comment from those perspectives during a game. If someone thinks I’ve gone overboard by all means call me out. If I have I’ll be the first to acknowledge and will edit out any inappropriate remarks. 

From those who believe everyone is great and plays great each and every moment of every game and we should be nothing but positive and rosy in every comment I would say I respectfully disagree. 

Let's also keep in mind that you can post a critical/constructive criticism type comment while also lauding players. They are not mutually exclusive.

Lastly we are all thrilled with the hard work, sacrifice, dedication and effort exhibited by everyone associated with the program and as evidenced by the amount of commentary on this board, new people posting and the depth of the commentary,  UB basketball is in the best shape it has ever been on the court, in the athletic department and with the fan base. But we should realize as good as it currently is, Nate has bigger and better plans for the program. So enjoy the ride, continue your passion, share your passion and support the program in every way you can from attending games, promoting the team and university to donating so we can help Nate to sustain his incredible success and build on it. 

GO BULLS!!!!

Edited by UB85
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, UB85 said:

I have not seen anyone trashing any of the players. Commentary on any player is fine and dandy so long as it doesn’t go into character assanination. As UB fans we stand by each and every player on the roster, want nothing but the best for them and most Importantly want them to enjoy their time at UB while being a good citizen and being the very best they can be athletically. With that said there is nothing wrong pointing out what you see as a shortcoming. For instance as someone pointed out above McRae played poorly in the early going last night giving up easy points in the paint. Is that ragging on a player unfairly or is it just a reasonable observation? I suggest it is the latter. Same for the comments about Dontay. For all we know he may have been extremely ill. But one cannot reasonably suggest he played well last night. And the same goes for the two freshman. I see nothing overboard in the comments about their play. I think it’s pretty clear that Rondo is further ahead his development. It’s also fair to say that his slightness of build could be problematic as he further develops his game. Williams has a longer way to go. His shooting needs some vast improvement as does his defense. He has loads of potential. I hope that he becomes great as someone wrote he would be next year. 

Having played, coached and officiated basketball for more years than I care to admit, I try and comment from those perspectives during a game. If someone thinks I’ve gone overboard by all means call me out. If I have I’ll be the first to acknowledge and will edit out any inappropriate remarks. 

From those who believe everyone is great and plays great each and every moment of every game and we should be nothing but positive and rosy in every comment I would say I respectfully disagree. 

Lastly we are all thrilled with the hard work, sacrifice, dedication and effort exhibited by everyone associated with the program and as evidenced by the amount of commentary on this board, new people posting and the depth of the commentary,  UB basketball is in the best shape it has ever been on the court, in the athletic department and with the fan base. But we should realize as good as it currently is, Nate has bigger and better plans for the program. So enjoy the ride, continue your passion, share your passion and support the program in every way you can from attending games, promoting the team and university to donating so we can help Nate to sustain his incredible success and build on it. 

GO BULLS!!!!

Very good commentary on all points. With all the success we have had these last few years I think there has been more positive accolades given to the entire team and deserveably so. All of us as individuals look at things in a different perspective and that is not to say our opinions are right or wrong. If you are a passionate fan and have been a suppporter of UB athletics sometimes we might take it personally. I look at this like we are all in this together and are on the same team. Let’s continue the passion and support of our teams. Go Bulls!!!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kevin said:

Collecting your own air ball is a travel. 

biggggg missed call

I dont hear her yelling..

Incorrect. She's not yelling because that's not how the rule works (although I got your point, she likely wouldn't have said anything about it even if it was). Provided that it is deemed as an attempted shot, you are able to catch your own air ball. 

As I read the whole thread back from while the game was going on, you'd never know that we led for the entire game. It's just crazy how most posts were knocking UB's team, UB's players, telling UB's coaches what they should be doing, commenting negatively about Ohio's fans/coaches. I seriously would hate to be back to our 4-14 MAC record days to see what the comments would look like. I don't see how this team could be any better than they are, I mean, they've only lost three times all season. There's only a couple teams out of 350+ that can say that, yet game in and game out we are 80% negative and 20% positive. We've won most games by double digits, yet it's not nearly good enough for many of the people on here.

No, we all don't need a trophy, yes they are big boys and are entitled to receive criticism, I get it. 

One month from now, when the season is over and there is nothing left but memories of the best UB season ever, how will you remember it? As "Harris sucks" ,"Williams/Segu isn't up to my standards", "UB is sloppy", etc. or "Damn, that was one amazing senior class", "League champions with their most wins ever", "CJ and Perk two of the best handful of players ever to play at UB", etc. Based on the multitude of downtrodden people here, who quickly point out every mistake while rarely speaking of any of the positives, you will be stuck on the 1st part if UB doesn't reach whatever arbitrary standard you have set in your mind for the season. Make these final weeks about the 2nd part. Feel free to critique if you wish, but just freaking enjoy this, it's coming to the end.

Edited by skrabukes

What I find interesting is the substantial minutes being given to freshmen Williams and Segu, especially in critical game situations. That's not happening with Fagan or Bertram. The coaches must truly believe in the ability of the first two to contribute and/or are willing to roll the dice with them for the sake of gaining experience. If Oats is willing to risk a game loss to get these guys some quality playing time, that speaks volumes to his long-term planning for the program.

• Like 1

I’ll just say this about the whole discussion of the frosh.

1) It’s fair to criticize them just as it’s fair to criticize Dontay for his performance last night. Or Jeremy for his prior shooting woes. But in criticizing them we have to also realize that they are freshmen who barely play 10 minutes a game. And much of their minutes distribution is based on if we have a lead and can use them to steal minutes. In crunch time you can bet you won’t see them on the court unless there’s foul trouble or injury like last night to Jordan. For reference go back and check the box scores for the WVU, San Fran, Cuse and Marquette games. They played but were not on the court when it was money time.

2) They are freshmen. And they play like freshman who barely see action so naturally when they get on the court they wanna make an impact. They are gonna make mistake. That’s expected. And I can’t stress this enough they are freshmen...if they play like this when they are seniors then all bets are off. The key for them is growth and progression. Especially from year 1 to year 2. What’s great now is that they aren’t relied upon to be a difference maker. We have 5 seniors and 7 total players before them on the depth chart for that. As the 8th and 9th guys of a rotation and as freshmen I’ll say they are doing ok.

3) Yes they were our highest rated recruits. Depending on which site they were 4 stars. So there was a lot of hype. Especially bc of YouTube videos. Which honestly are just cut ups that can make you and I look like MJ. But were we really expecting them to be Zion? That’s unfair to them. Plus they weren’t expected to contribute high number of minutes. 

In closing it’s fair to criticize them but let’s not give up on them. Way to early for that. Let’s see how they progress. And yes the roster competition will be tough next year but there will also be opportunities. I trust that Oats and the staff can bring out the best in them and utilize them in a way that allows them flourish.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, skrabukes said:

so, in summary, what you want to complain about is cool.  what someone else wants to complain about is not.  😄

as far as i'm concerned, bitching about your team is part of sports; we're fans, not cheerleaders.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I’ll just say this about the whole discussion of the frosh.

1) It’s fair to criticize them just as it’s fair to criticize Dontay for his performance last night. Or Jeremy for his prior shooting woes. But in criticizing them we have to also realize that they are freshmen who barely play 10 minutes a game. And much of their minutes distribution is based on if we have a lead and can use them to steal minutes. In crunch time you can bet you won’t see them on the court unless there’s foul trouble or injury like last night to Jordan. For reference go back and check the box scores for the WVU, San Fran, Cuse and Marquette games. They played but were not on the court when it was money time.

2) They are freshmen. And they play like freshman who barely see action so naturally when they get on the court they wanna make an impact. They are gonna make mistake. That’s expected. And I can’t stress this enough they are freshmen...if they play like this when they are seniors then all bets are off. The key for them is growth and progression. Especially from year 1 to year 2. What’s great now is that they aren’t relied upon to be a difference maker. We have 5 seniors and 7 total players before them on the depth chart for that. As the 8th and 9th guys of a rotation and as freshmen I’ll say they are doing ok.

3) Yes they were our highest rated recruits. Depending on which site they were 4 stars. So there was a lot of hype. Especially bc of YouTube videos. Which honestly are just cut ups that can make you and I look like MJ. But were we really expecting them to be Zion? That’s unfair to them. Plus they weren’t expected to contribute high number of minutes. 

In closing it’s fair to criticize them but let’s not give up on them. Way to early for that. Let’s see how they progress. And yes the roster competition will be tough next year but there will also be opportunities. I trust that Oats and the staff can bring out the best in them and utilize them in a way that allows them flourish.

Bravo! Excellent commentary. You may want to speak with Paul Peck, Josh Whetzel and get a tv/radio gig. :)

Edited by UB85

Also I think you have to acknowledge that they are freshmen playing against a team that is 150% prepared for the toughest game of their season. Outside of the first Ohio and the first Toledo, every MAC school has played us at a higher level...(you go back and watch those teams play and you're like how did they even stay in our atmosphere?)

The good part about that is I think when you get to year 2 and 3 of these guys, they've have never played a game where the intensity level wasn't at 11. So they know they have to be at a 12 at all times. So when they are starting 5 guys, the intensity and the work is there.

6 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Incorrect. She's not yelling because that's not how the rule works (although I got your point, she likely wouldn't have said anything about it even if it was). Provided that it is deemed as an attempted shot, you are able to catch your own air ball. 

As I read the whole thread back from while the game was going on, you'd never know that we led for the entire game. It's just crazy how most posts were knocking UB's team, UB's players, telling UB's coaches what they should be doing, commenting negatively about Ohio's fans/coaches. I seriously would hate to be back to our 4-14 MAC record days to see what the comments would look like. I don't see how this team could be any better than they are, I mean, they've only lost three times all season. There's only a couple teams out of 350+ that can say that, yet game in and game out we are 80% negative and 20% positive. We've won most games by double digits, yet it's not nearly good enough for many of the people on here.

No, we all don't need a trophy, yes they are big boys and are entitled to receive criticism, I get it. 

One month from now, when the season is over and there is nothing left but memories of the best UB season ever, how will you remember it? As "Harris sucks" ,"Williams/Segu isn't up to my standards", "UB is sloppy", etc. or "Damn, that was one amazing senior class", "League champions with their most wins ever", "CJ and Perk two of the best handful of players ever to play at UB", etc. Based on the multitude of downtrodden people here, who quickly point out every mistake while rarely speaking of any of the positives, you will be stuck on the 1st part if UB doesn't reach whatever arbitrary standard you have set in your mind for the season. Make these final weeks about the 2nd part. Feel free to critique if you wish, but just freaking enjoy this, it's coming to the end.

I mean, if they reach the sweet 16, those are my standards and the ones that Coach Oats tells us in every single press conference that I'm in. Those are the standards set by the team and coach, those are the standards I'm holding them to. If they lose during the second weekend, so be it. 

A three-point win and much of that game were not to S16 standards. The defense was really bad and I think most of this game thread reflects that. I personally think we are just catching up to the fans of major teams. Go visit an ACC board and its similar. 

Gone are the days of people saying "oh well" when games are bad. 

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

A three-point win and much of that game were not to S16 standards. The defense was really bad and I think most of these game thread reflects that. I personally think we are just catching up to the fans of major teams. Go visit an ACC board and its similar. 

Survive and advance season...

Duke by 1 at home against a team 7 games under .500 (yea no zion, but we have a banged up CJ and had no Jordan for a lot of the game)

Kentucky by 4 over Ole Miss
Purdue lost to Minnesota
Kansas lost by 13 to Oklahoma
LSU is struggling at Florida right now
Marquette is in a free fall

finally we're in just win baby season. If we win 8 more by a total of 8 points we'll all be happy.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

Duke by 1 at home against a team 7 games under .500 (yea no zion, but we have a banged up CJ and had no Jordan for a lot of the game)

Purdue lost to Minnesota

finally we're in just win baby season. If we win 8 more by a total of 8 points we'll all be happy.

Those teams all suck. Their freshmen or 8th/9th players aren't good enough. Guys on their teams miss shots, make errant passes and mental mistakes. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bull_trojan said:

Purdue lost to Minnesota

Slightly true (on the just win part) but still totally different and you know that. 

Ohio is 181 kenpom.

Wofford has proven what you do against lesser competition. They are a good case study. 

Ole Miss - 44

Min - 45

Oklahoma - 35

Florida - 29

Those teams that lost were not changed much in the overall profile, UB dropped FOUR Kenpom spots with an inefficient win. 

Edited by Kevin

8 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Slightly true (on the just win part) but still totally different and you know that. 

Ohio is 181 kenpom.

Wofford has proven what you do against lesser competition. They are a good case study. 

Ole Miss - 44

Min - 45

Oklahoma - 35

Florida - 29

Those teams that lost were not changed much in the overall profile, UB dropped FOUR Kenpom spots. 

Please explain the Wofford comment. Thx

2 hours ago, UB85 said:

Please explain the Wofford comment. Thx

Wofford hasn't beaten anyone, but managed 3 Q1 wins by virtue of the SoCon road schedule. That's enough to get you in and more than we have. Furman, ETSU, and UNCG all qualify for Q1 road wins. Wofford went and beat them all by double digits on the road. 

They've won 18 straight and have all the efficiency numbers to push them to 14th net. Their only 4 losses are to P5 tournament teams. Which is also more than we can say with our losses to NIU/BG. They consistently win by 15+.

It really isn't asking much to beat the worst team in the conference by 15+ on the road (after winning by 47 at home). 

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Wofford hasn't beaten anyone, by managed 3 Q1 wins by virtue of the SoCon road schedule. That's enough to get you in and more than we have. Furman, ETSU, and UNCG all qualify for Q1 road wins. Wofford went and beat them all by double digits on the road. 

They've won 18 straight and have all the efficiency numbers to push them to 14th net. Their only 4 losses are to P5 tournament teams. Which is also more than we can say with our losses to NIU/BG. They consistently win by 15+.

It really isn't asking much to beat the worst team in the conference by 15+ on the road (after winning by 47 at home). 

Ok. Now I’ve got that point. Thx

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

I took a look at Wofford. Their losses were to UNC, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Mississippi St. There have been some nail biters in conference: 4 points over Mercer, 5 points over Furman, 1 point over Samford, and 2 points over ETSU.

11 hours ago, Kevin said:

Wofford hasn't beaten anyone, but managed 3 Q1 wins by virtue of the SoCon road schedule. That's enough to get you in and more than we have. Furman, ETSU, and UNCG all qualify for Q1 road wins. Wofford went and beat them all by double digits on the road. 

Yup.  The Southern conference is worse then the MAC, but is strong on top.  Ball St, Kent and Toledo failed us this year.  Had they not fallen apart, UB could be thinking about a 3 seed.  Now we are facing a 6 or 7 and praying to stay at a 5.  We earned the ability to have an off night.  But when it happened at NIU, there is consequences.