Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

#19 UB @ Ohio (3/5 - 7 pm EST)

Kevin

2 minutes ago, ubbulls08 said:

Anyone in the MAC can beat anyone on any given night. Really good teams lose in conference, esp on the road, because teams know each other so well and can gameplan. Plus Ohio had nothing to lose. Much different feeling as a player when you really can't lose the game. UB tense at times and it showed.

It was a gritty win tonight.  UB wasn't terrible but they didnt put the hammer down when they built the lead to 12.  Curruthers wasn't good tonight.  It was good to see Harris make that 3 and the 2 point jumper down the stretch.  #1 seed, in any other conference that probably means more than a quarterfinal game.  We'll probably wind up with NIU.  We play better against them away from their gray floor.

MAC regular season champs! It was ugly but it’s a win. Harris...hope this is his awakening. I had the game on mute anyone know what happened to Jordan?

Going forward we need to play better defense and cut to dribbling ourselves into the sideline and turning it over. Same ole story right. Come home boys a big party awaits.

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

MAC regular season champs! It was ugly but it’s a win. Harris...hope this is his awakening. I had the game on mute anyone know what happened to Jordan?

Going forward we need to play better defense and cut to dribbling ourselves into the sideline and turning it over. Same ole story right. Come home boys a big party awaits.

On the radio broadcast Whetzel said that Jordan hit his head on the court.  But on the Espn+ it looked like he hit his head against another players leg.  But I didnt get a great look at it on the app.

1 minute ago, UBFAN2001 said:

On the radio broadcast Whetzel said that Jordan hit his head on the court.  But on the Espn+ it looked like he hit his head against another players leg.  But I didnt get a great look at it on the app.

Agree, any head injury didn't seem to be against the floor.  Still, there could be a head injury

Just now, UBFAN2001 said:

It was a knee to the head from Graves.  He sat out the rest of the game as a precautionary measure.

Dang head injuries can be tricky. Hope he is ok. We have no true PG after him. Carruthers is reckless, Segu is a frosh and playing CJ at the point takes him away from scoring.

1 minute ago, ubmae86 said:

Also, I know Segu will be good, but damn, he needs to stop trying those dives with a kick under the basketball. I don't think I've seen one of those go well for us. He was killing us tonight.

I didn’t think Segu was any worse on the floor than Carruthers was.  Bigger problem was Jeenathan was a complete liability on both ends, and had no business playing at all, and Nate even left him in coming out of a TV timeout after they’d cut the lead to like 5 all on his atrocious defense.  I’m sorry, but if we have a player who shoots 10% from 3 and is allowed to stay on the floor after continuing to take any open jump shot he gets, plus is a defensive liability, Nate has to look at himself here.  Give his minutes to McRae in the 2nd half, and yank him right out for the game in the 1st if he ever takes an outside jumper again this season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Phillystile said:

I didn’t think Segu was any worse on the floor than Carruthers was.  Bigger problem was Jeenathan was a complete liability on both ends, and had no business playing at all, and Nate even left him in coming out of a TV timeout after they’d cut the lead to like 5 all on his atrocious defense.  I’m sorry, but if we have a player who shoots 10% from 3 and is allowed to stay on the floor after continuing to take any open jump shot he gets, plus is a defensive liability, Nate has to look at himself here.  Give his minutes to McRae in the 2nd half, and yank him right out for the game in the 1st if he ever takes an outside jumper again this season.

Can’t fault Nate for playing him, but he hasn’t earned any trust to be on the floor in a tight game going down the stretch. He needs experience. And you cannot give up on him. But he is a liability when he’s on the floor. Hopefully more experience polishes his game going forward. 

3 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Can’t fault Nate for playing him, but he hasn’t earned any trust to be on the floor in a tight game going down the stretch. He needs experience. And you cannot give up on him. But he is a liability when he’s on the floor. Hopefully more experience polishes his game going forward. 

Agreed, for my money, it was important to leave him on the court.  So valuable for the future. 

I don’t think that was as bad of a game as everyone is saying. Thought the refs were great the first half and were absolutely atrocious in the 2nd and really helped Ohio get back into it. We need to limit turnovers but aside from some late lucky 3s from Ohio this isn’t a close score. 

Hope jordan is aright but he was up and coaching the team at the end there. Think he’s going to be ok. 

Freshman had a rough night but that’s ok they’re learning. It’s going to happen. We still won. 

This was a road game at the convo against a really resurging Ohio team. There’s no shame in a win here and we are MAC REGULAR SEASON CHAMPS AGAIN. 

But most of all HARRISSSSS. Clutch 3 and some nice play at the end there. 20 pts, he had assists, a bunch of rebounds and overall played pretty nicely. Rushed a 3 and had a couple iffy plays in the first half but he really seemed to start to get his feel back and started smirking. We needed him tonight. This is what good teams do. Caruthers had a terrible game, freshmen were lrettt bad but we had everyone else to carry us. LETS GO

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UB85 said:

Just got on to say he’s been in a huge funk the last 2 or 3 games. He should be no where near the floor right now. Hope Jordan is ok. 

Agree with Caruthers in a big time funk. He tries to drive thru more than one player and has been out of control. He shows his frustration and it is affecting his defensive intensity and he is committing stupid fouls. The coaches have to be seeing what we are seeing. Hope Jordan does not have a concussion?? Go Bulls!!!!

11 minutes ago, 121Merrimac said:

Agreed, for my money, it was important to leave him on the court.  So valuable for the future. 

I think Oats was trying different lineup combos out there. Especially when we went up by 12. That’s when you look to steal minutes to keep the main 7 fresh for crunch time.

Trust me in a tournament game you won’t see Segu Williams Harris plus two others on the floor at the same time. Those 3 on the floor at the same time is prolly our worst defensive lineup. Segu got more playing time bc of the Jordan injury. 

Come tournament time the two freshman will play less. We saw that in the non conference. Their time is in the future. For now their role is to steal minutes 

Edited by DooleyBull06

Saw many encouraging things tonight, especially the outside shooting and hopefully the resurgence of Harris. But late in the game one of the announcers said that Ohio had outscored Buffalo 52-18 in the paint. That’s a concern. It definitely looked like Ohio was scoring at will on drives and give and gos. Plus Carruthers has looked like a ball in a pinball game the last 5 games or so. Reckless with the ball, driving 1 on team, and picking up crazy fouls. You don’t expect that from a senior. A senior, no less, who has shown that he can put the team on his back at times. Gotta clean up that stuff before the conference tournament.

37 minutes ago, ubbulls08 said:

Anyone in the MAC can beat anyone on any given night. Really good teams lose in conference, esp on the road, because teams know each other so well and can gameplan. Plus Ohio had nothing to lose. Much different feeling as a player when you really can't lose the game. UB tense at times and it showed.

Got that right. NIU has a two game home winning streak against UB. Duke barely — just barely — beat ACC cellar dwellers Wake Forest tonight. On Duke’s home floor. 

31 minutes ago, weareub46 said:

I don’t think that was as bad of a game as everyone is saying. Thought the refs were great the first half and were absolutely atrocious in the 2nd and really helped Ohio get back into it. We need to limit turnovers but aside from some late lucky 3s from Ohio this isn’t a close score. 

Hope jordan is aright but he was up and coaching the team at the end there. Think he’s going to be ok. 

Freshman had a rough night but that’s ok they’re learning. It’s going to happen. We still won. 

This was a road game at the convo against a really resurging Ohio team. There’s no shame in a win here and we are MAC REGULAR SEASON CHAMPS AGAIN. 

But most of all HARRISSSSS. Clutch 3 and some nice play at the end there. 20 pts, he had assists, a bunch of rebounds and overall played pretty nicely. Rushed a 3 and had a couple iffy plays in the first half but he really seemed to start to get his feel back and started smirking. We needed him tonight. This is what good teams do. Caruthers had a terrible game, freshmen were lrettt bad but we had everyone else to carry us. LETS GO

Make no mistake UB was not sharp and played poorly. As an example. Ohio threw up a brick 3. It clanged off the iron and ricocheted to just about the 3 pt arc. CJ was standing outside the arc. He was flat footed. Rather than going to the ball with anticipation as he normally does as an excellent rebounder he stood there. Fortunately he got the board. It could be travel related. It could be the end of the season blues. It could be they overlooked Ohio. 

Anyway it isn’t unusual for college teams to struggle at times due lack of focus, etc. Some examples just tonight. Duke barely beat lowly Wake Forest tonight by 1 at home. Kansas is down to lowly Oklahoma by 17 near half time. #11 ranked Purdue is down by 2 at Minnesota with the game winding down. 

So let’s rejoice in 27-3 at least until Friday night when we’ll be 28-3! Go Bulls!

Edited by UB85

Buffalo traveled on Thursday to get to Oxford for the Miami game. Played Friday. Stayed in Ohio Sat Sun Mon and played tonight. It’s a grind, no question. Still, two weeks ago they beat this team by 47. FWIW kenpom knocked them down 4 spots after tonight’s win. Duke won by 1 at home against Wake - they won’t get chopped. Purdue losing to Minnesota - won’t get chopped. Get this team rolling again with a blowout win on Fri.

28 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

Also, I know Segu will be good, but damn, he needs to stop trying those dives with a kick under the basketball. I don't think I've seen one of those go well for us. He was killing us tonight.

Segu has tried that move in most of the games this year and you are right I don’t think it has worked yet. On Williams I am not sure  about him even for next year. You can be a big star in high school because you can be so much better physically than most of the players. Just by how he plays on defense he did not have to play defense in high school. I am not sure he has a high basketball IQ. This off season will tell a lot for next year. Go Bulls!!!!

Segu is driving the lane and typically has no idea where the ball is going unless he has a lane for a shot. If you compare his high school tapes he always knew where his options were and made some scintillating passes. He’ll figure that out. The big concern with him is size. 

• Like 1