Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Coaching Carousel Primer (ESPN article)

ATL92

48 minutes ago, John said:

Thanks for finding and putting it on here. It was a great listen and Nate really comes across as a no nonsense guy and is very honest about many topics and just a down to earth guy who does apppear that he wants to stay. Mark Alnutt has to show him the love by tearing the contract up and giving him a raise. Go Bulls!!!!!

You’re welcome. I too though it was a great interview and would give everyone some further insights on Nate and the million dollar question we’ve been discussing. 

Ive already talked to Mark and have him my two cents.  

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 4:04 PM, UB85 said:

He can win a national title here! Let’s stop selling UB short!!! There is absolutely no reason Nate can not achieve his goal right here at UB, even as handicapped as many think UB is.  

I know, I know... the next Gonzaga.  The next Butler. 

How many national titles do they have?

3 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I know, I know... the next Gonzaga.  The next Butler. 

How many national titles do they have?

How many national titles do the likes of Nebraska, Penn State and their ilk have? These are the type of schools looking for coaches in a few weeks. 

• Like 1

A coach has two options: climb the ladder by jumping from job to job, or stay put and build a program in his/her vision.

By jumping around you get the big paychecks but it goes both ways. You could be dumped after a bad season. 

But how often does a coach get to build his own dynasty? Despite being mainly a pro sports town, Buffalo is a ripe market for top tier college basketball. Nate can invest in himself now and get the big checks later staying put.

3 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

A coach has two options: climb the ladder by jumping from job to job, or stay put and build a program in his/her vision.

By jumping around you get the big paychecks but it goes both ways. You could be dumped after a bad season. 

But how often does a coach get to build his own dynasty? Despite being mainly a pro sports town, Buffalo is a ripe market for top tier college basketball. Nate can invest in himself now and get the big checks later staying put.

I agree with this and will take it a step further...by building a dynasty at Buffalo (Buffalo!) Oats can build his own resume and control his future even more.  He can be able to bypass jumping from job to job and just make one big jump.  I'm not saying he can go to Duke but lets say...what if his dream job is Wisconsin.  Rather than jumping to Nebraska to get to Wisconsin he can stay at UB build here then jump straight to Wisconsin. And if money is the motivator...lets say he stays here and builds up to a salary around 1.1 million...at his next job he can command up to double that if not more.

More doom and gloom. This coach is leaving, this guy is no good. It's MAC week, leading into NCAAs. We just got a major incoming committment.  Times are great. Just be happy for right now. We can't control any of that anyhow, unless someone here is planning on ponying up major funds, so just enjoy the moment and worry about the future afterwards.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

The University had been working on something to keep Oats. I think we are in good standing to return him

It seems like Nate is going to Nebraska or Penn State where he can win a NATTY. Bronstein reported recently that “all indications” are that the staff will be back. Apparently he did not get the memo that Nate was in his way out. 

19 minutes ago, UB85 said:

It seems like Nate is going to Nebraska or Penn State where he can win a NATTY. Bronstein reported recently that “all indications” are that the staff will be back. Apparently he did not get the memo that Nate was in his way out. 

Had to catch up. 

Totally forgot Nate is heading to the powerhouse of Nebraska where it rains National Championships for 10m/year. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, John said:

Good thought process. All the opinions about Nate staying or leaving that put all the emphasis just on money I think does miss the mark to some degree. In today’s world there is so much emphasis put on how much you can make that it does not put what you stated. You can still make a decent living and live comfortable without going for the all mighty buck. There are many people in the sports landscape that take jobs that make a ton of money but if it does not work out are back to square one of starting over again. Nate is in a happy place right now and is successful and is making a very comfortable living. But again the majority of people just see the money as the be all and end all. In my own case I stayed in a job with a decent salary because of family, friends and area and still had a very good career and comfortable living. Again I am not being critical of anyone who wants to make as much money as possible. There are many more Turner Gills out there in the sports landscape than people want to admit to. Hope Mark Alnutt shows Nate how much he means to UB and WNY by giving him a salary bump and I think he will stay. Go Bulls!!!

"it's not all about the money... i hope they give nate more money, then he'll stay".  😄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ed said:

"it's not all about the money... i hope they give nate more money, then he'll stay".  😄

This is the key detail that keeps this from being contradictory. Oats has said time and time again that he wants more out of coaching than a big paycheck. That doesn't mean he doesn't want a bigger paycheck it means what he said: He wants MORE than just a paycheck. It's not ALL about the money.

8 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

This is the key detail that keeps this from being contradictory. Oats has said time and time again that he wants more out of coaching than a big paycheck. That doesn't mean he doesn't want a bigger paycheck it means what he said: He wants MORE than just a paycheck. It's not ALL about the money.

Agree and disagree. 

I think a million a year is the University's way of saying, "Listen, Nate, we don't roll around in money and you know that but this is what we were able to do". Makes him the highest paid employee at the University. Shows they respect him and the direction he is taking it.

4 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I agree with this and will take it a step further...by building a dynasty at Buffalo (Buffalo!) Oats can build his own resume and control his future even more.  He can be able to bypass jumping from job to job and just make one big jump.  I'm not saying he can go to Duke but lets say...what if his dream job is Wisconsin.  Rather than jumping to Nebraska to get to Wisconsin he can stay at UB build here then jump straight to Wisconsin. And if money is the motivator...lets say he stays here and builds up to a salary around 1.1 million...at his next job he can command up to double that if not more.

Your comment about the Wisconsin is the most reasoned, in my opinion.

Nate's in a good position right now at UB...a lot of excitement and positivity.  A record breaking season on many levels and maybe the best is yet to come.  I assume, at the end of this, he'll be made the highest paid coach in the MAC with some sort of concessions on a dedicated practice facility (remember that interview where the alarm went off?) and, perhaps, conversations that the public is not necessarily privy to about different conference opportunities.

There is probably a level of job that if they came calling now, he would take.  Wisconsin is the no brainer, of course, but that may take a while.  On the other end of the spectrum, I don't see why he would have interest in Nebraska or PSU vs where he is now.  He's already shown he can win in the MAC, so (I think) he would need to go to a place where he feels he can win consistently.  Otherwise, he'll just keep building up Buffalo.

Let's take Nebraska.  They hired Tim Miles from Colorado State in 2012 after he got them to the dance (1st time in five years there as coach).  They lured him with $1.4M.   Since that time, he has made the tournament once (a quick exit, like 2012) and has a .500 record at Nebraska.  From all indications, once they are bounced from the conference tournament this week, he'll have to move on.

So...I agree with DooleyBull06.  Oats has leverage now and can wait...and I think he will.   Yeah...maybe they aren't ranked for months in a row like this year, but they have a lot of strong pieces returning to the team and coming to the program next year.  I am sure it is also of interest to see how he can rebuild while graduating a lot of players.

• Nate Oats said today that his agent has opened negotiations with UB on a new contract for him and his staff. Both sides motivated to get deal done. Could happen before MAC tournament, but talks aren't as far along as they were a year ago at this time.

1 reply1 retweet4 likes

Retweet

Direct message
    •  

"My focus is on the games we have to play for the next two, hopefully three weeks. We want to be here. I'm not going to talk to another team while I'm still coaching Buffalo. I don't want to talk to another team period. So hopefully we can make something happen," Oats says.

18 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

You guys know that Bo Ryan already retired right?  Greg Gard (I think) is a young man doing a good job.  I don’t foresee a Wisconsin opening anywhere in the near future.

I am aware.  And this speaks to my point about Oats waiting.  Wisconsin won't be open now but could be in 4-6 years when say Gard (48yo) himself elevates to a better job or gets fired because let's face it P5 schools lack patience. 

Also Bronstein's tweets indicate that Nate is here to stay a little while longer.  Both sides to me seem very committed to one another.  I love their relationship.  Lets get it done.

41 minutes ago, UB85 said:
    • Nate Oats said today that his agent has opened negotiations with UB on a new contract for him and his staff. Both sides motivated to get deal done. Could happen before MAC tournament, but talks aren't as far along as they were a year ago at this time.

1 reply1 retweet4 likes

Retweet

Direct message
    •  

"My focus is on the games we have to play for the next two, hopefully three weeks. We want to be here. I'm not going to talk to another team while I'm still coaching Buffalo. I don't want to talk to another team period. So hopefully we can make something happen," Oats says.

While a new contract is a good sign, does it really mean much? Coaches seem to leave all the time for more money. Or am I getting senile? 

2 minutes ago, pottier25 said:

While a new contract is a good sign, does it really mean much? Coaches seem to leave all the time for more money. Or am I getting senile? 

I'm sure the buyout clause will be very high.  Which might scare off teams from talking to Nate within the first few years of that contract. Administration isn't stupid, they are gonna protect themselves too.

I appreciate that Oats has seemingly been pretty honest regarding his job opportunities. He's not said that he's here to stay and that's that because he'd be a fool to not listen to offers that come in and he's certainly no fool. He's blunt about most of what he discusses and so I see no reason to believe he's lying when he says he'd like to stay here if the conditions are right. 

He seems to appreciate stability and Bobby Hurley is the only recent MAC coach who has jumped to find some success at a mid-level P5 job in recent years, and even his position could be tenuous in a year or two if they miss the tournament this year or show signs of regression next year. Groce got the ax at Illinois and returned to the MAC, Christian got the ax at TCU, then returned, then jumped again and is about to be canned at Boston College. Gary Waters was given 6 years at Rutgers before he agreed to resign for going 19-14. At Rutgers! Then you have guys like Geno Ford who didn't last long at Bradley, Stan Heath who turned a Kent State elite 8 appearance into an unsuccessful stint with Arkansas followed by an unsuccessful stint with South Florida. Who is the last MAC coach to move on and have lasting long term success elsewhere? Jim Larranga? Rick Majerus? 

The nature of the job is that of what have you done for me lately. I'd rather be a Rick Byrd, Greg Kampe, Bob McKillop, Phil Martelli, Randy Bennett or Mark Few than a guy who picks up and moves when it's 4 years in and he's 8th in the Big Ten. Those guys have earned the occasional bad season from their schools because they have a history with them and the administration knows their value. Nebraska doesn't know Oats' value and their fans certainly won't care unless he delivers right away. Can he do that? Maybe. He's already doing it here though.