Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

(8) Akron @ (1) #18 UB - MAC Tournament Quarterfinal (3/14 - 12pm EDT)

• Jeseph pinned this topic
5 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

18th-ranked team in the country, I'm surprised this game isn't on something better than ESPN+.  Especially at noon on a weekday.

The TV packages are signed years in advance with the conferences. ESPN probably isn't able to move it elsewhere. ESPN has the ACC tournament and ESPN2 has the Big 12. ESPNU has the AAC tournament. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, eanyills said:

I’m not too worried about Akron, even if we come out flat.

The only team that seems to have had our number a bit is Bowling Green. I’m weary of potentially facing them.

I'm more worried by Akron. They slow down the game as much as they can hope a few breaks go their way to pull the upset. In a one-off game that can happen. I honestly don't expect Bowling Green to even make it past Ball State. Toledo should get through that side of the bracket.

As UB head coach, Nate Oats has faced against Akron 9 times with a record of 5-4. He has never lost to current Zips coach John Groce. Here are the results:

2018-19 season: W 77-64, W 76-70

2017-18 season: W 87-65, W 80-68

2016-17 season: L 90-91, L 83-89

2015-16 season: L 71-75, L 70-80, W 64-61 (MAC tournament)

Given the username I’ll take this with some sarcasm but The past doesn’t predict the future given the fact that lineups change and even still, I think Akron is a team we beat 8-9 times out of 10 on a “neutral”court but out every team in the field this is probably our worst matchup.

6 minutes ago, UB_Prush said:

Given the username I’ll take this with some sarcasm but The past doesn’t predict the future given the fact that lineups change and even still, I think Akron is a team we beat 8-9 times out of 10 on a “neutral”court but out every team in the field this is probably our worst matchup.

At least we'll get to watch Groce go insane on the refs once the game is beyond reach.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

Akron scares me the most for the simple reason that watching them play is boring.  I have to work late wed night and if they put me to sleep, I’ll be pissed. 

That’s what they do, win (nearly half the time) playing snooze fest b-ball. Even when we win we lose having to sit through that garbage but such is life. 

The worst thing is if someone were to beat us I’d want a good showing from the MAC at the Dig Dance. Akron just plays to not lose, yeah sure they'll can keep it close and lose by respectful scorelines to good teams, but someone like Toledo I’d prefer representing the MAC since they might actually win a game, and could actually do so in respectable fashion.

Edited by UB_Prush

7 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

That worked real well for Gonzaga,

It obviously doesn't guarantee anything but it helps the cause. The only other real option is to go soccer style and base it entirely on conference play which makes the most sense in the fact that it rewards the best team over the course of a length of time but eliminates the system of truncating a season to 2-4 elimination games which will not go away in this country.

Edited by UB_Prush

Something is wrong when a team that went 16-2 in conference, and has the number 1 seed, gets to play its first conference tourney game in an arena that is 20 minutes away from its opponent’s campus. According to kenpom, the opponent is ranked 3rd out of the eight remaining teams in the MAC tourney. This scenario doesn’t pass the smell test. Time to look for a different conference.

• Like 1