Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats Contract Extended

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The key is going to be the financials/buyout amount. Any word on the details?

EDIT: per wgrz.com

University at Buffalo announced Thursday afternoon that the college has signed the men's basketball coach to a 5-year extension with an annual salary of $837,000 which includes a base salary of $612,000 and $225,000 to be raised through philanthropic gifts designated to the men's basketball program.

Edited by eanyills

He has a vision, he wants to build something special here, and not just build us up to leave for a big paycheck. He’s said it in multiple interviews and has given zero reason for anyone to doubt his commitment to staying and building the “Gonzaga of the East.” Yet all these “experts” are convinced that when the “big boys” come calling he’ll leave us. It’s more than just the program that is keeping him in Buffalo as well. We all know about his wife’s health history and each year his daughters get more involved in their school district (friends, eventual boyfriends, etc.). Gonzaga, a “mid major”, pays their coach around $1.7 million per year, and I’m sure he’s gotten his fair share of offers from schools willing to pay more than that. Yet he stayed and didn’t leave to go to one of these “big boys”. This just confirms what I’ve thought about Oats and I’m tired of hearing people doubt his commitment to the vision he has for UB. Go Bulls

Donors need to come up with at least $225 a year just to cover his raise?  The University isn't paying that portion. 

So that means the facility fundraising is set back $225k a year to cover this.

I really thought the University would come up with more.  This doesn't sound that strong.  

3 hours ago, 961819 said:

He has a vision, he wants to build something special here, and not just build us up to leave for a big paycheck. He’s said it in multiple interviews and has given zero reason for anyone to doubt his commitment to staying and building the “Gonzaga of the East.” Yet all these “experts” are convinced that when the “big boys” come calling he’ll leave us. It’s more than just the program that is keeping him in Buffalo as well. We all know about his wife’s health history and each year his daughters get more involved in their school district (friends, eventual boyfriends, etc.). Gonzaga, a “mid major”, pays their coach around $1.7 million per year, and I’m sure he’s gotten his fair share of offers from schools willing to pay more than that. Yet he stayed and didn’t leave to go to one of these “big boys”. This just confirms what I’ve thought about Oats and I’m tired of hearing people doubt his commitment to the vision he has for UB. Go Bulls

I think the rightful skepticism is that the cases of Archie Miller, Bobby Hurley etc are far more common than the case of Mark Few. Not that it isn’t possible, but, of course Oats is going to say the right things if he means it, or not. I don’t read as much into that in sports than you do I guess. If a 2.2 mil a year offer from a power 5 school came along, you know he’d have to really think about it, and he should.  

5 minutes ago, UB85 said:

I’ll pay more. 

Considering that I value the women's tickets as much as the men's tickets, $10 a game would put it up to $260.  I'd pay that.

My guess is MoBULL pass will go up to $15 a ticket.  Seasons maybe $190/$200?