Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats Contract Extended

6 hours ago, promotherobot said:

Honestly, it feels low. I figured a cool $1MM/yr.

I am afraid of the cool 1 MM cause you still have to go incentives on top of that...

so 837 + 150k for winning regular season and the tourney is 987k close enough to that million....

I also assume they intentionally came in under the 21% Trump excise tax on non-profit employees making 1MM+ 

Edited by bull_trojan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, UB85 said:

This video certainly provides insights. 

What do we know?

• Nate wants to focus on basketball, so signing this new contract prevents him from having to be in play for every open job above the MAC this off-season.  I don't think he enjoys that part of it at all.
  • If something extra special comes along, his agent will let him know.  This would seem to be a job at a top-tier program.
  • He likes Buffalo and so does his family.  He kind of doesn't want to move every few years.  I think he either wants to stay at Buffalo for a while or make that one career-changing move.  Thus, the likes of Nebraska (and their ilk) are not in play.  Of course, if one of those large jobs open up associated with the FBI case...but then many coaches will be in that.
  • He is also intrigued about the idea of staying at a place a while and building a program...like Mark Few.  You could see that he is intrigued.  I think he feels that building a legacy here and growing a program will give him more satisfaction than hopping to the next job for a pay increase.
  • He seemed to be really excited about the fact they could fill the arena this year w/o the students.  You could tell that he feels UB basketball has really, really turned a corner this year.  It is probably very exciting and rewarding to be in the middle of it.
  • He wants to make Alumni into an athletics facility and, for that to happen, a rec center for students will need to be built.  He lets on he has been told that this is in the works.
  • He didn't say anything about moving conferences.
  • He seems excited about the class they are bringing in for 2019 (transfers and freshman).  He feels that it won't be a down year...but they will keep it going.  Maybe not at the level of being ranked for several months, but strong nonetheless.

I think that he is a pretty open guy.  This UB/Buffalo community - Oats marriage seems strong.  It is great to have him and his staff back.

Go Bulls.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

This video certainly provides insights. 

What do we know?

• Nate wants to focus on basketball, so signing this new contract prevents him from having to be in play for every open job above the MAC this off-season.  I don't think he enjoys that part of it at all.
  • If something extra special comes along, his agent will let him know.  This would seem to be a job at a top-tier program.
  • He likes Buffalo and so does his family.  He kind of doesn't want to move every few years.  I think he either wants to stay at Buffalo for a while or make that one career-changing move.  Thus, the likes of Nebraska (and their ilk) are not in play.  Of course, if one of those large jobs open up associated with the FBI case...but then many coaches will be in that.
  • He is also intrigued about the idea of staying at a place a while and building a program...like Mark Few.  You could see that he is intrigued.  I think he feels that building a legacy here and growing a program will give him more satisfaction than hopping to the next job for a pay increase.
  • He seemed to be really excited about the fact they could fill the arena this year w/o the students.  You could tell that he feels UB basketball has really, really turned a corner this year.  It is probably very exciting and rewarding to be in the middle of it.
  • He wants to make Alumni into an athletics facility and, for that to happen, a rec center for students will need to be built.  He lets on he has been told that this is in the works.
  • He didn't say anything about moving conferences.
  • He seems excited about the class they are bringing in for 2019 (transfers and freshman).  He feels that it won't be a down year...but they will keep it going.  Maybe not at the level of being ranked for several months, but strong nonetheless.

I think that he is a pretty open guy.  This UB/Buffalo community - Oats marriage seems strong.  It is great to have him and his staff back.

Go Bulls.

Well said and excellent summary 

• Like 1

Everyone should watch the video.  Oats is very frank about the situation.  Alnutt promised him a rec center was going to be built so Alumni could become athletics only and then be remodeled to reflect that.  He told his agent to say no thanks to any interview offers that come in unless it's something truly special that he just can't say no to.  We of course don't know what his standard is, but I think it's safe to say that schools like Illinois, Nebraska, etc aren't going to sway him.  

16 hours ago, UB85 said:

So much to unpack here. Nate Oats is so genuine and just open. You don’t get the coach speak from him. He mentions how he would love to get his daughter through high school without moving. She’s a freshman. This is a man who sounds like he wants to stay and won’t leave for just any P5 opportunity or more pay. 

Obviously we can’t take that for granted and that’s where we have to devote resources to him and the program. And that’s where the behind closed doors verbal agreement that we will upgrade facilities is important. This must get done. It should be priority #1 for both our basketball teams.

He talked about scheduling...he hinted that in 2021 we will be in a non conference tournament too. That’s good quality. I wonder which it is. 

He also talked about the fundraising and donors that have flocked to the program...this is important bc these dollars can not only pay coach but get things built. 

The future is radiant and heck the sooner we can get facilities built and upgraded while Oats is here the better off we will be if he ever were to leave.

• Like 1

The booster bucks seem like a lotta loot for a mid-major basketball program. Does anyone have any insight as to how this happens? The alumni base is huge, so is the idea to get many small contributions? Or does it come from a few well-heeled boosters? Corporate sponsors? Alnutt seemed confident the funds are there, so I suspect some phone calls were made and checks with lots of zeroes were written.

6 hours ago, BuffandBold said:

https://247sports.com/college/maryland/Board/67/Contents/NATE-OATS-130077964/

not sure what they’re saying, but a 100 plus thread doesn’t seem great.

thinking about doing the free trial to their site to see what they’re saying. Let me know if you want info if I do it.

You should do it and let us know the key things that are being said. 

On 3/15/2019 at 7:20 AM, dutchcountry7 said:

Wow, the buyout is very low.  

He has an easy exit option. 

This was my thought as well. Hopefully he enjoys it here enough to not be swayed by other offers, because power 5 teams won’t even blink at that buyout.

7 hours ago, sportscliche said:

The booster bucks seem like a lotta loot for a mid-major basketball program. Does anyone have any insight as to how this happens? The alumni base is huge, so is the idea to get many small contributions? Or does it come from a few well-heeled boosters? Corporate sponsors? Alnutt seemed confident the funds are there, so I suspect some phone calls were made and checks with lots of zeroes were written.

I’m sure the alumni base is more engaged now than ever before. it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the school has received some calls from wealthy donors offering money to help keep Nate around

1 minute ago, UB05 said:

This was my thought as well. Hopefully he enjoys it here enough to not be swayed by other offers, because power 5 teams won’t even blink at that buyout.

Would they blink at any though? He has to have the highest buyout for a nonP5 coach. 750k is huge to pay, but I don’t think any would matter if a major team wanted him. 

It atleast helps us pay our next coach. 

38 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Would they blink at any though? He has to have the highest buyout for a nonP5 coach. 750k is huge to pay, but I don’t think any would matter if a major team wanted him. 

It atleast helps us pay our next coach. 

We need the $12 million Shaka Smart buyout special! 

Texas A&M has fired their coach, Billy Kennedy. The rumor mill has it that they will pursue Virginia Tech’s Buzz Williams. A&M has got more money than it knows what to do with it, and Williams is a Texan by birth. I think he’d be nuts to take the job. By the same token if he did bite, and the V Tech position was offered to any mid major coach, he would be crazy to turn it down.

Edited by squire17

27 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Texas A&M has fired their coach, Billy Kennedy. The rumor mill has it that they will pursue Virginia Tech’s Buzz Williams. A&M has got more money than it knows what to do with it, and Williams is a Texan by birth. I think he’d be nuts to take the job. By the same token if he did bite, and the V Tech position was offered to any mid major coach, he would be crazy to turn it down.

Agree with all points.  Kennedy wasn't bad.  Took them to sweet 16s and got players NBA looks. A&M is a football school that wants to throw its money around lol.  And because of that the expectations are insanely high for basketball.  If Williams wants a payday he goes.  Then let all the speculation about Nate ramp up. 

16 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

i heard second hand rumors from a wake forest booster that they’d be willing to throw away almost 20 million just to fire their coach.  There is stupid amounts of money out there.

That’s even stupider amounts of money for a school like Wake Forest

44 minutes ago, BuffandBold said:

The Maryland fans want him bad. Seems like they’re over Turgeon. That might be a job too good to pass up for NO

No way Turgeon is getting fired at Maryland. The Terps have made the NCAA tournament 3 of the last 4 seasons, which were their first years in the B1G. They are currently a Top-25 team. Yes, they had a bad loss to Nebraska in the B1G tournament, but are still certain for an at-large. A P5 school or two will be after Oats, but Maryland won’t be one of them.