Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats Contract Extended

12 minutes ago, sportscliche said:

No way Turgeon is getting fired at Maryland. The Terps have made the NCAA tournament 3 of the last 4 seasons, which were their first years in the B1G. They are currently a Top-25 team. Yes, they had a bad loss to Nebraska in the B1G tournament, but are still certain for an at-large. A P5 school or two will be after Oats, but Maryland won’t be one of them.

I hope you’re right, but the fans on their board are out for blood. They seemed to imply that the new AD doesn’t like Turgeon and is looking to make his own hire. Their buyout on the guy is 2.5 million.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not too pleased about the notices going out to season ticket holders looking for deposits without the final price.  It sounds like something the Bills would do.  Call me crazy (you'd be half right) but my first reaction to someone telling me my tickets may go up north of $200 was "hmm, I don't know if I'll renew."  I don't know if I'm nuts about the salary bump because it's so much more than the other MAC coaches, and I get the impression that Oats isn't staying here for the money, it's for more than that.  If money is the issue, whatever we throw in extra isn't going to matter compared to what bigger programs may offer.  I, and many of you, have been season ticket holders and committed fans for long before this got trendy, and among my first thoughts was "this kinda stinks that I'm going to pay more because some Johnny-come-lately's suddenly think this is cool, when we've been here all along."  I know fully well that winning, and to keep winning, needs resources and I sure as heck like funding success than failure, talent rather than incompetence.  Kind of a lot of rambling thoughts but a price bump that's gone from $125 to $135 to $160 and now possibly north of $200 in a couple years is enough to make me think, "what is this worth to me?"  AND I LOVE GOING TO GAMES.

3 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

I'm not too pleased about the notices going out to season ticket holders looking for deposits without the final price.  It sounds like something the Bills would do.  Call me crazy (you'd be half right) but my first reaction to someone telling me my tickets may go up north of $200 was "hmm, I don't know if I'll renew."  I don't know if I'm nuts about the salary bump because it's so much more than the other MAC coaches, and I get the impression that Oats isn't staying here for the money, it's for more than that.  If money is the issue, whatever we throw in extra isn't going to matter compared to what bigger programs may offer.  I, and many of you, have been season ticket holders and committed fans for long before this got trendy, and among my first thoughts was "this kinda stinks that I'm going to pay more because some Johnny-come-lately's suddenly think this is cool, when we've been here all along."  I know fully well that winning, and to keep winning, needs resources and I sure as heck like funding success than failure, talent rather than incompetence.  Kind of a lot of rambling thoughts but a price bump that's gone from $125 to $135 to $160 and now possibly north of $200 in a couple years is enough to make me think, "what is this worth to me?"  AND I LOVE GOING TO GAMES.

While I agree with your point about not knowing the price and being asked to renew, would a price of $200 be a ridiculous price to pay based on the quality of product that we've been given? Maybe the price goes up and maybe it stays the same, we don't know (which was your original point), but I personally wouldn't mind paying a little more if it goes to the basketball programs, helping keep the staffs in place and/or helping with recruiting in some way or another. For close to 30 games (men's and women's), $160 is crazy inexpensive, considering several straight years of NCAA tournament teams.

Your question "what is this worth to me?"...to me, it is worth quite a lot honestly. I've greatly enjoyed the teams, the staffs, and the games and couldn't quantify the amount of enjoyable moments that I've had watching them, especially this past season.

• Like 1

As long as the deposit is refundable, I don’t have a problem with an increase. It may sound dumb, but I think a sizable price increase is overdue.However,  if the administration is actually asking for a commitment in the form of a down payment without a definite and stated final price, then that’s dirty pool in my book - unless the down payment is refundable. In any event it’s a bizarre way to conduct business - again, if this is in fact their intended modus operandi.

At the Bowling Green game one of the season ticket holders near us said that the administration was going to initiate a new policy which could mean that season ticket holders wouldn’t be guaranteed their choice of seats for all home games. He urged us to phone the ticket office with complaints. At the time it just seemed so ridiculous. We’ve had our seats for 8 or 9 years. I can’t believe what the guy said is true. But if it is, then we’ll be gone in a heartbeat.

Program is growing.  Season tickets will be in more demand.  Prices will go up and new policies will have to be put in place that weren't needed when the team drew 3,000 per game.  These are all good things.  All I'm reading is STHs who want the program to grow and be successful, but not if it means paying a few bucks more per game.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, squire17 said:

As long as the deposit is refundable, I don’t have a problem with an increase. It may sound dumb, but I think a sizable price increase is overdue.However,  if the administration is actually asking for a commitment in the form of a down payment without a definite and stated final price, then that’s dirty pool in my book - unless the down payment is refundable. In any event it’s a bizarre way to conduct business - again, if this is in fact their intended modus operandi.

At the Bowling Green game one of the season ticket holders near us said that the administration was going to initiate a new policy which could mean that season ticket holders wouldn’t be guaranteed their choice of seats for all home games. He urged us to phone the ticket office with complaints. At the time it just seemed so ridiculous. We’ve had our seats for 8 or 9 years. I can’t believe what the guy said is true. But if it is, then we’ll be gone in a heartbeat.

You do not have to as a current season ticket holder have to renew now. Personally I think it’s a great way to express your support for the program’s coaches etc. so I did just that for the for the first time. And I’ve had season tickets going back to the 90s. On the other hand, wait if you prefer until you get your invoice in the fall. Either way your choice. 

Edited by UB85
  • Like 1

For comparison my parents are longtime season ticket holders for the Siena Saints, who have a lot of local support and have had some very good years but nothing noteworthy the past decade.

They pay 375 per season ticket. Success drives interest, or in other words demand. This is a good thing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

I'll also say, I haven't forgotten they had to cut some sports a short time ago.  I'm a lifelong soccer guy and very active in local soccer, losing the program stung.  That's also going through my head as the collective everyone is able to come up with more cash to do things.

I've a Bills season ticket holder since 2003 and they never did what you say they do. 

1 hour ago, UB05 said:

The current price of season tickets is laughably low

For what it's worth.  2008-09 season tickets were $125 for alumni ($149 using inflation adjusted dollars, per CPI).  Going back to 2006-07, it looks like the cheapest was $185 ($232 CPI), which does not include an alumni discount.  The oldest that I saw was $100 per seat in 2001-02 ($142 CPI).

This team is worth much more than $10-$20 in inflation adjusted dollars compared to teams in the past.

1 hour ago, squire17 said:

At the Bowling Green game one of the season ticket holders near us said that the administration was going to initiate a new policy which could mean that season ticket holders wouldn’t be guaranteed their choice of seats for all home games.

I will wait for it to come out to complain, but that would not be acceptable.  Unfortunately for me, it would not stop me from renewing which is the only recourse we have against such a policy.

5 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

I'll also say, I haven't forgotten they had to cut some sports a short time ago.  I'm a lifelong soccer guy and very active in local soccer, losing the program stung.  That's also going through my head as the collective everyone is able to come up with more cash to do things.

I honestly think about that a lot.  I love winning.  But I also loved the soccer team.  Going to Canisius and Niagara, winning, and celebrating with Cicerone and crew with the Big 4 Shield was great.  Stu was/is a wonderful coach.  Some day I hope that we can bring back some teams.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rma said:

I honestly think about that a lot.  I love winning.  But I also loved the soccer team.  Going to Canisius and Niagara, winning, and celebrating with Cicerone and crew with the Big 4 Shield was great.  Stu was/is a wonderful coach.  Some day I hope that we can bring back some teams.

Im probably one of the few who misses both the Soccer and Baseball team. Enjoyed catching at least 1-2 baseball games per year especially if my friend was umping them. Now all we have left is Tom Murphy who looks like he could finally make the Rockies out of spring as either the Catcher #1 or 2

11 hours ago, rma said:

For what it's worth.  2008-09 season tickets were $125 for alumni ($149 using inflation adjusted dollars, per CPI).  Going back to 2006-07, it looks like the cheapest was $185 ($232 CPI), which does not include an alumni discount.  The oldest that I saw was $100 per seat in 2001-02 ($142 CPI).

I can't remember the exact years me or my family bought a couple seasons but it was in that 2004-2007 area and I just remember how damn dirt cheap they were in the best spots. 

Heck if you guys remember they even had the court side tabled seats that included a modest meal. I remember we always wanted those seats for the fun of it but they did away with them long ago in favor of courtside. The only years I remember them being available were before the Battle runs. Talking 99-2001. Was still in high school then so I had no money lol

1 hour ago, xDerekRx said:

Im probably one of the few who misses both the Soccer and Baseball team. Enjoyed catching at least 1-2 baseball games per year especially if my friend was umping them. Now all we have left is Tom Murphy who looks like he could finally make the Rockies out of spring as either the Catcher #1 or 2

I liked watching the baseball team too. But unless there’s big money, I don’t see it coming back unfortunately. The field is terrible, the travel sucks. Soccer and swimming we have the facilities for. Unfortunately both seem to be on the way out. Men’s soccer in the MAC has around as many associate members as full members. S&D got cut at EMU. 

18 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

And if the team doesn't do too well next year are people going to come back?  We graduate a lot of talent. I get paying $200 for a top-20 team but are people going to pay $200 to watch a team like we had in 2018 or 2017? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, skrabukes said:

While I agree with your point about not knowing the price and being asked to renew, would a price of $200 be a ridiculous price to pay based on the quality of product that we've been given?

the quality of the product...  ub has been awesome.  but the quality of the product - the games - includes the other teams.  playing a bunch of directional michigans and random ohio teams doesn't seem likely to make for a compelling product to the general public at a higher price unless ub continues to be a top 25 team, starts bringing in some name home games, or the mac steps up their game.  

• Thanks 1

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:16 PM, ed said:

the quality of the product...  ub has been awesome.  but the quality of the product - the games - includes the other teams.  playing a bunch of directional michigans and random ohio teams doesn't seem likely to make for a compelling product to the general public at a higher price unless ub continues to be a top 25 team, starts bringing in some name home games, or the mac steps up their game.  

You're right.  The product on the court is really what people are paying to see.

People will pay to see directional state play, if it is a good game.  But if it is a blowout, then they don't get any entertainment value. 

This is why I want to see an improvement with the schedule.  Stop playing non-D1 games and weak teams.  Bring in good teams like the "no name" schools that are going to steal first round wins this week over the power conference teams.  The teams at the top of the mid-major conference can play!  Bring them in. 

27 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

You're right.  The product on the court is really what people are paying to see.

People will pay to see directional state play, if it is a good game.  But if it is a blowout, then they don't get any entertainment value. 

This is why I want to see an improvement with the schedule.  Stop playing non-D1 games and weak teams.  Bring in good teams like the "no name" schools that are going to steal first round wins this week over the power conference teams.  The teams at the top of the mid-major conference can play!  Bring them in. 

Wait, since when do people not get entertainment value from a blowout when UB wins?  I love when UB blows teams out.  WTF are you smoking mate?  Or is this more of, "I think this, therefore everyone thinks this", just like your sham poll?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

Wait, since when do people not get entertainment value from a blowout when UB wins?  I love when UB blows teams out.  WTF are you smoking mate?  Or is this more of, "I think this, therefore everyone thinks this", just like your sham poll?

i think the difference is between existing fans and building a fan base.  someone who comes because they're a casual basketball fan, but not a ub fan per se, is probably not going to be as psyched about watching a blowout of an inferior team they've never heard of.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

There is a reason people leave early when it is a blowout win just like they do when it is a blowout loss...

• Like 1