Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

(5) CMU vs. (1) #18 UB - MAC Tournament Semifinal (3/15 - 6:30pm EDT)

Kevin

• Jeseph pinned this topic
13 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Why is it not good? If anything it makes our loss to them look better. Are you afraid of NIU?

A victory against NIU is worse for the metrics, something that Nate Oats cares about, than Toledo.

Even beating NIU within 10-12 points would probably be a negative. We’d have to hammer them to not drop.

Edited by eanyills

5 minutes ago, eanyills said:

A victory against NIU is worse for the metrics, something that Nate Oats cares about, than Toledo.

Even beating NIU within 10-12 points would probably be a negative. We’d have to hammer them to not drop in Kenpom.

A 1 point victory against whoever in the championship game would warrant a 5 seed, which is what we would get regardless of who we play and how much we would win by.

Edited by mikescherrer8
spelling error
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, eanyills said:

Even beating NIU within 10-12 points would probably be a negative. We’d have to hammer them to not drop.

1) we aren’t playing them in the finals yet.

2) at 31-3 Mac regular and postseason champs to me would trump metrics. That’s the eye test. And that to me should net us a 5 seed. No worse than a 6.

3) regardless of who we play we should win so a loss to any team in the championship game would look bad. 

4) at some point the metrics get thrown out and you say damn this Buffalo team is good.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

1) we aren’t playing them in the finals yet.

2) at 31-3 Mac regular and postseason champs to me would trump metrics. That’s the eye test. And that to me should net us a 5 seed. No worse than a 6.

3) regardless of who we play we should win so a loss to any team in the championship game would look bad. 

4) at some point the metrics get thrown out and you say damn this Buffalo team is good.

1) Obviously.

2) That’s you. You’re not the committee which has traditionally favored mediocre majors over mid-majors. The coach of the team has spoken at length about the need to have good NET, Kenpom, and Sagarin metrics for seeding. 

3) We were talking about Toledo. They were a Q1 team. NIU, the other team we’re discussing in context, is Q3. A slim BUFFALO win against them is probably a drop in Buffalo’s metrics. We’re not talking about a loss.

4) This Buffalo team is good. However, metrics are going to play a role in seeding whether you like it or not. With potential mid-major bias of the committee, we should be aiming to put our best resume forward, including having the best metrics we can.

Edited by eanyills

5 minutes ago, MillenniumBull said:

Let’s face it, our opponent’s net isn’t going to move the needle very far at this point.

We moved up 4 spots in Kenpom today playing Akron. We might move up a fifth depending on the game’s left tonight.

Edited by eanyills
  • Like 1

It would be the last game before the big dance. I mean are we really acting like whoever we would play is the end of the world? Come on. We have proven we are not just some mid major team. Plus Toledo is not a Q1 team. The are a Q2. And the main reason we moved up in Kenpom was bc of our efficiency today. Not bc of who we beat. But how we beat them. So by that theory playing a lesser team we should steam roll them as opposed to playing a tougher team.

Edited by DooleyBull06

1 minute ago, MillenniumBull said:

Because Akron is so formidable or because we gave them a proper spanking?  I think the latter

Which, again, is the point? A team like NIU requires a larger margin of victory to become a positive than Toledo would have.

10 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

It would be the last game of the before the big dance. I mean are we really acting like whoever we would play is the end of the world? Come on. We have proven we are not just some mid major team. Plus Toledo is not a Q1 team. The are a Q2. And the main reason we moved up in Kenpom was bc of our efficiency today. Not bc of who we beat. But how we beat them. So by that theory playing a lesser team we should steam roll them as opposed to playing a tougher team.

1) Toledo is one of our Q1 wins.

2) The coach of this team cares, so yes, apparently it is a big deal.

3) What do you think efficiency rankings are based on? Who you play and how you perform are interrelated.

4) Yes, that’s exactly how the system works. Metrics are much more forgiving when playing better teams.

Edited by eanyills

1 minute ago, eanyills said:

1) Toledo is one of our Q1 wins.

2) What do you think efficiency rankings are based on? Who you play and how you perform are interrrelated.

3) Yes, that’s exactly how the system works.

1) I’m pretty sure after their loss Toledo will remain a Q1 win.

2) Math and metrics math and metric...what do your eyes tell you? At this point...the last game of the season...you can put aside the numbers. If your fear is playing NIU in the finals and in beating them our seed will suffer I highly disagree. At this point I think it’s irrelevant who we play that last game. Just win. Be 31-3 and the committee won’t screw is over. They won’t be like oh but you only beat NIU in the finals. It’s body of work.

2 minutes ago, eanyills said:

This is literally the worst college basketball forum I’ve been on. I’m sorry I came back.

Holy shit. Please delete my account. I’m not arguing with tone deaf morons.

My fellow Bulls fan don’t go. It’s not that serious. We all want the same thing. I’m simple saying there’s no reason to panick about Toledo losing. It’s just a difference of opinion. If this was February I would agree with you. But it literally is the last game of the season. The only thing that could drop us a seed is a loss. Doesn’t matter to who.

9 minutes ago, eanyills said:

This is literally the worst college basketball forum I’ve been on. I’m sorry I came back.

Holy shit. Please delete my account. I’m not arguing with tone deaf morons.

Best wishes for the future.  No shortage of boards that should be less a burden.