Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

(5) CMU vs. (1) #18 UB - MAC Tournament Semifinal (3/15 - 6:30pm EDT)

Kevin

We can't control who we play at this point. Whether it's NIU, BG, UT, whomever, we just need to win. Playing well in the win, against a middle tier Mac squad moved our kenpom up nearly a full point, jumping up 3-5 spots. There's your metrics. If they play like that, the metrics will come.  Q1, Q2, whatever, we're in and we just need to win. If they are going to scrutinize whether we play toledo or niu or bg in the final that closely, then they must never sleep if they look at all conferences like that (i doubt that small tidbit is that relevant...omg buffalo played niu in the finals, they're an 8 seed now...come on). It's one of our 34 games, and hopefully 31 of those are with wins.

Back to the matter at hand...CMU.

Guard play will be the story of this game. We need to bring another strong defensive effort. They have scoring guards so Jordan and Caruthers best efforts will be needed. This could be a track meet. Pound Perkins inside and control the game. CMU is playing well...this will be another good challenge.

At this point, the Bulls just have to play tough. 4 seed, 5, 6...doesn’t matter that much. Although about an hour ago I was mulling over whether it would be better to be a 6 seed and have to potentially beat a 3 and then a 2, rather than being a 4 or 5 seed and then having to beat a 1 seed. If they play up to their level, I’ll be happy win or lose. Happier if they win. Go Bulls!

18 minutes ago, squire17 said:

At this point, the Bulls just have to play tough. 4 seed, 5, 6...doesn’t matter that much. Although about an hour ago I was mulling over whether it would be better to be a 6 seed and have to potentially beat a 3 and then a 2, rather than being a 4 or 5 seed and then having to beat a 1 seed. If they play up to their level, I’ll be happy win or lose. Happier if they win. Go Bulls!

I think the 6 seed in the west plays their first weekend in Hartford. And  5 seed in the east plays in Hartford. Either one of those would get great. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, eanyills said:

4) This Buffalo team is good. However, metrics are going to play a role in seeding whether you like it or not. With potential mid-major bias of the committee, we should be aiming to put our best resume forward, including having the best metrics we can.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/mens-basketball-selections-101-committee

29 minutes ago, ed said:

Do you find it ironic at all that you constantly complain about people complaining? 😉

I for one don’t.  IMO,  most of the positive posters post positively, and call out the negatives as well. The negative posters just post negativately.  I for one don’t mind negative comments.  I just hate commenters that are 100% negative, and have zero contribution when something good happens. 

11 hours ago, skrabukes said:

WVU won again,  beating highly ranked texas tech. Does that even out the metrics on the toledo loss to niu???????

This is the post for tomorrow's cmu game, let's get a good crowd and get fired up for this game. Go Bulls!

I was watching the 2nd half with my son - pulling for the 'eers! Soley because it would make our win look a tad better, also I didnt recognize anyone on their team yesterday!!

13 hours ago, eanyills said:

1) Toledo is one of our Q1 wins.

2) The coach of this team cares, so yes, apparently it is a big deal.

3) What do you think efficiency rankings are based on? Who you play and how you perform are interrelated.

4) Yes, that’s exactly how the system works. Metrics are much more forgiving when playing better teams.

UB raised in both KenPom/NET with their Akron win. 

Playing BG in the finals will not change nearly anything with metrics, instead of Toledo. 

A lot of metrics are INDIVIDUAL focused. Meaning we keep up our efficiencies and margin (remember it caps at 10). The difference in conference opponent is not a big deal unless we were playing 353 Chicago State. The Mac is 8th for a reason, playing the top of our conference will help. 

• Like 1

This is going to be what, the 34th game of the year?  The difference in beating Toledo over blank is so minuscule at this point.  I want NIU.       The committee is made up of human beings.  They will use the comps to prove their already bias opinions.  Right now they can say we lost to (some #) NIU.  Playing them again and beating the snot out of them puts that in pencil instead of pen.

1 minute ago, MillenniumBull said:

This is going to be what, the 34th game of the year?  The difference in beating Toledo over blank is so minuscule at this point.  I want NIU.       The committee is made up of human beings.  They will use the comps to prove their already bias opinions.  Right now they can say we lost to (some #) NIU.  Playing them again and beating the snot out of them puts that in pencil instead of pen.

As I've said, doesn't even matter who we play, if we win today and then win tomorrow, we have made a strong case for no less than a 5 seed.