Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

(3) BG vs. (1) #18 UB - MAC Tournament Finals (3/16 - 7:30pm EDT)

Kevin

Incredible. Another MAC title. 4 out of 5. Could have never told me this back in the 2000s following the team. I think rochBull said it best, I used to just get pumped for the NIT!

There were times in the middle of the MAC season where we werent sure if we'd lose 4-5 games, maybe lose in the tourny, maybe lose our rank. But after all the dust settled it was just 2 MAC losses there and nothing again since.

What an incredible season. Keep it going. So far theyve done everything right in my eyes.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rma said:

I loved watching Nate Oats yell at the refs in the S16 in Albany. 

Refs tonight were awful. We got some good calls, also got screwed on some as well

I was expecting a hose job from the refs, considering the MAC wanted UB to lose so BGSU could get to dance. But I thought they did a decent enough job. Only one or two rough calls on us, and just as many on the Falcons, judging from their fans reaction.

Overall it was the best weekend you could have wanted. Entertaining games from the men and women, and the party put on at Southern Tier Brewing for the alums was terrific. Even had time Saturday to his the R&R Hall of Fame. (Worth visiting.) Now it's time for is to write some checks for Nate and FLJ.

For me being sent to Hartford would be the cherry on amazing sundae. 

8 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I was expecting a hose job from the refs, considering the MAC wanted UB to lose so BGSU could get to dance. But I thought they did a decent enough job. Only one or two rough calls on us, and just as many on the Falcons, judging from their fans reaction.

Overall it was the best weekend you could have wanted. Entertaining games from the men and women, and the party put on at Southern Tier Brewing for the alums was terrific. Even had time Saturday to his the R&R Hall of Fame. (Worth visiting.) Now it's time for is to write some checks for Nate and FLJ.

I thought there were two huge missed calls that benefited us. Shot clock violation vs CMU and I want to say Jordan had a huge travel when he fell to the ground but they called it a BG foul. I was very disappointed that they didn’t show replays of fouls like we get at AA. I try to be as objective as possible when yelling at the refs, and if there’s no replay you can’t see if they made a good call or not.

We booked the hotel for 2 nights, figuring that if either (or both) teams missed the finals we’d start our journey of visiting national parks since Cuyahoga Valley NP is not too far away. Fortunately, we’ll have to start that journey another time. 

Id be extremely happy with either Columbus or Hartford, though Hartford is a bit further from Buffalo, it is closer to our alumni base.

You may wander in the wilderness for a long time.  And those mountains seem very hard to climb.  But when good things happen, they may happen in bunches.  4 titles in 5 years.  Winning never, ever gets old. 

The funny thing about these title games - they go by so quickly, and I can't tell you as much about who did what like I can a game on TV or at Alumni.  Maybe because I'm a little hyper, I don't know.  Perkins fouled out and BG hit a couple free throws to make it a one possession game....then I remember looking up a few minutes later and the Bulls were up double digits.  How did that happen?!  The same way they've closed out games many times this season.  Get some stops on defense, hit a tough bucket or free throws at the other end, and repeat several times.  I didn't like the shooting percentage most of the game - I keep thinking they slide by with not doing this as well as they can and at some point it's going to bite them.

Harris - played huge this week.  He gets an opening to drive to the net, yesterday it felt like as soon as he drove it was automatic.  His reach with that left arm is so hard for any opponent to deal with.
CJ - as I say all the time, unless he goes nuts over a 2 minute span like he can, he somehow quietly gets a double double.
Graves - he and CJ hit some key three's in the second half.
Perkins - I expect that out of a freshman, not a senior leader.  It was not his night, he wasn't effective inside most of the time.
Dontay - a great hustle play in the second half to keep a possession alive, but you expect that
Davonta - hit one or two from outside. 

BG - they and Central threw their best at UB and the Bulls made it through, credit to them.  Kept themselves in the game with a little run late in the first half.  Wiggins, and their inside game, was a bigger problem for UB than it was a week ago.  Several teams have focused on this now - get it inside, crash the boards, you can't run with UB so you have to get at them underneath.  We're likely to see more of this from any team whose strength is that, unfortunately.  And if the Bulls collapse in too much, they can kick it outside for an open three.  Granted, the sample size is only a few games so far - but yet again, I don't understand how Frye is a Division 1 point guard.  They basically benched him for most of a half last week, and last night he did next to nothing for them.

Grateful to see so many Buffalo fans make the trip.  Title game day is always a fun day (or at least it's been a while since we've been heartbroken).  Southern Tier - plenty of room, I just wasn't crazy about how much a round of 4 beers kept costing me.

Sorry I didn't get to post anything till now, I didn't get home last night from the game till 3:30 am.

• Like 2

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 8:38 PM, MillenniumBull said:

I have to say, I hate those inbounds calls when the other team isn’t pressing.  For the ref to give possession because some kid wearing size 18 shoes foot barely touched the line when the other team is not even contesting the inbounds of the ball is stupid.  I hate it even when it goes in our favor.  Refs should have the ability to have some sort of discretion in this matter.  Plus it happens a lot and is not called.  I feel like they look for it when a player who doesn’t see a lot of court time is inbounding.  If CJ inbounded that ball, would they even be looking at his feet?  A little like bullying.

I have to say, I disagree with this, for 1 reason.  I agree that it happens often and doesn't get called.  This wasn't the norm though.  When Brock went to inbound the ball, he realized there was no guard there when he turned.  When he hesitated on the inbound pass, he stepped forward a bit an had his foot clearly on the line.  Too obvious to let it go. 

I didn't notice which guard it was that should have been there, but Nate chewed on that player after the call. 

Edited by ChubbyHubby

So, which one of you is the guy with the blue wig that sat about 6 rows behind me at the finals?  We talked for a bit at the team hotel after the game.  I was the guy trying to get some of the lame fans in our section off of their butts.

Edited by ChubbyHubby

On 3/17/2019 at 7:54 AM, promotherobot said:

Again the best weekend is an understatement. Our family and friends of a group of nine strong were there from Wed on and attended all the UB games and even some of the other games. The Southern Tier Brewing parties were great especially before Sat’s final. I won the autographed basketball with Coach Oats and Jack signatures. I already have it in a glass enclosed case with sensors and protected by guard dogs Ha! Ha!. Drove back home on Sunday on cloud nine and took three days to get back to normalcy. Let’s continue the momentum and Go Bulls!!!!!

• Haha 1

On 3/17/2019 at 2:10 AM, rma said:

I was very disappointed that they didn’t show replays of fouls

The only replays they showed, were big dunks while the play was still happening. We had replay reviews of 60 secs+ with no replay. That was infuriating. Classic MAC.

On 3/18/2019 at 5:20 AM, ChubbyHubby said:

When Brock went to inbound the ball, he realized there was no guard there when he turned.  When he hesitated on the inbound pass, he stepped forward a bit an had his foot clearly on the line.  Too obvious to let it go. 

In my recollection there was a BG player out of bounds, as Brock started to inbound, he came from behind Brock to try to deflect a pass, Brock I think took a step, and recoiled, and that step got called....should have been a T on the BG player.

All in all this will be one of my most treasured weeks of my life. I moved to Hawaii the Summer before the first UB Championship, so from watching alone with my wife not understanding why I'm so emotional about exorcising the demons of 2005 and every year after that, to being there with my wife and a large contingent of UB fans. My plan was to get out more and meet some more people, but I was just drained by the emotion of each game, (although it was nice to catch up with RMA again)

Went to the Cleveland Museum of Art between the women's and men's semis...it was amazing, and I'm not a museum or an art guy, wife dragged me, but it was fun I recommend it.

• Like 2

On 3/17/2019 at 11:13 AM, UBminicre said:

Excellent. Thanks! This is hard to find on google/twitter/youtube with common search.

Thanks beyond words can say. Our family listened to all UB’s post game interviews and they were special. We were up chanting and yelling Go Bulls!!!! I think the police are at our door. I think we will invite them in to listen to the interviews!!!!! A great time for all UB supporters and fans. Go Bulls!!!!

3 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

My plan was to get out more and meet some more people, but I was just drained by the emotion of each game, (although it was nice to catch up with RMA again)

Went to the Cleveland Museum of Art between the women's and men's semis...it was amazing, and I'm not a museum or an art guy, wife dragged me, but it was fun I recommend it.

I absolutely hate the huge gap between games.  There was some sort of marathon or race of some sort causing traffic/lack of parking, combined with construction and our hotel not being walking distance....we took a nap in the car and went to the Arcade mall to waste some time.  That mall continues to go downhill.  More cops in there than open retailers.

10 hours ago, rma said:

I absolutely hate the huge gap between games.  There was some sort of marathon or race of some sort causing traffic/lack of parking, combined with construction and our hotel not being walking distance....we took a nap in the car and went to the Arcade mall to waste some time.  That mall continues to go downhill.  More cops in there than open retailers.

We had picked up a Cleveland Brewery Passport on Friday.  Get stamps in the passport and earn prizes.  We hit 4 breweries between the Women's and Men's games.  We walked the entire time.  

Also, a huge thank you to UB Alumni Association.  It was great to spend time with other UB Fans.  Southern Tier was a better set up than Hairy Buffalo was in the past. 

10 hours ago, rma said:

I absolutely hate the huge gap between games.  There was some sort of marathon or race of some sort causing traffic/lack of parking, combined with construction and our hotel not being walking distance....we took a nap in the car and went to the Arcade mall to waste some time.

Same except instead of taking naps we did our best to drink all of the 8 Days a Week STB could brew 😂

• Haha 1

On 3/21/2019 at 9:45 AM, ChubbyHubby said:

We had picked up a Cleveland Brewery Passport on Friday.  Get stamps in the passport and earn prizes.  We hit 4 breweries between the Women's and Men's games.  We walked the entire time.  

Also, a huge thank you to UB Alumni Association.  It was great to spend time with other UB Fans.  Southern Tier was a better set up than Hairy Buffalo was in the past. 

Agree Souther Tier seemed to mostly have just UB fans where Harry Buffalo is years past seemed to have other than just UB fans maybe because of how close it is to the “Q”. We did stop at Harry Buffalo and the staff said they missed us and thought the Toledo fans not the best. We had a great time at Southern Tier and I would think we will be back next year. Go Bulls!!!!!