Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

(11) ASU vs. (6) #15 UB - NCAA First Round (3/22 at 3:50 PM)

Kevin

1 hour ago, sportscliche said:

What better way to prepare for two possible opponents....watch them play each other just a few days before one of them has to travel (again) to play you. I’m liking this setup a lot better than having to deal with #12 Murray State and Ja Morant.

The more I’ve let it sit the more I’m ok with. Whoever wins that play in game is gonna have a very short turnaround. ASU/SJU play the last play in game at 9:10 Wednesday then travel and play us at 4 on Friday. My only fear is that we’ve seen a play in game winner win a few games.  But we will be rested and focused and ready to run wild. 

All that said I still don’t know who I rather face. But my gut says give me SJU...they don’t defend at all, rebound well or shoot from 3 well. 

Also now that I’m looking at it if we can get the Cougar fans to jump on our bandwagon that could be cool. Houston plays Friday after we do, I assume that might be the case again on Sunday. If we get to Sunday we could use all the support possible bc playing Texas Tech in Tulsa is basically a road game. Just a thought.

Edited by DooleyBull06

12 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

I was shocked it was mentioned on CBS when they revealed the potential matchup. How can you miss that tidbit?

Probably a bigger deal here than nationally. It’s been what, 4 years now. Are there even any Hurley guys left here? We all knew he was gonna move on to a bigger spot. I dunno. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal at this point. Yeah it’s neat and something to talk about but. 

1 hour ago, UBFan99 said:

Probably a bigger deal here than nationally. It’s been what, 4 years now. Are there even any Hurley guys left here? We all knew he was gonna move on to a bigger spot. I dunno. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal at this point. Yeah it’s neat and something to talk about but. 

Perk was recruited by Bobby, that's it. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BrazenBull said:

Perk was recruited by Bobby, that's it. 

Yes and no. Nate was the lead recruiter with Perk. As I recall Perk said something to the effect I’m not changing my commitment to UB, once Bobby bolted and the now famous de commitment of our ATF non UB player Nate Navigato chose to take his talents to Toledo, because of Nate “The Man” Oats 

Edited by UB85

More than Hurley vs Buffalo, it's Hurley vs Oats.  Teacher vs Pupil.

How much of their offense is the same?  Oats must know Hurley's system. Is Oats running the same system or is it new?  Players win the games, but this game will be a bigger chess match than most.  

8 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

The more I’ve let it sit the more I’m ok with. Whoever wins that play in game is gonna have a very short turnaround. ASU/SJU play the last play in game at 9:10 Wednesday then travel and play us at 4 on Friday. My only fear is that we’ve seen a play in game winner win a few games.  But we will be rested and focused and ready to run wild. 

All that said I still don’t know who I rather face. But my gut says give me SJU...they don’t defend at all, rebound well or shoot from 3 well. 

Also now that I’m looking at it if we can get the Cougar fans to jump on our bandwagon that could be cool. Houston plays Friday after we do, I assume that might be the case again on Sunday. If we get to Sunday we could use all the support possible bc playing Texas Tech in Tulsa is basically a road game. Just a thought.

They have to clear out the stadium and then bring back people with different tickets, I doubt any fan base is buying both sessions. 

Generally dont they bond to the lower seed? Like St John's or N Kentucky?

Generally fans pull for the dogs especially this time of year but I wonder if a mid major against a larger school like ASU or St Johns might flip the script a bit. Im actually curious what the vegas line will be for either matchup. Even though its 6v11 I have a feeling people might bet the large school.

36 minutes ago, Kevin said:

They have to clear out the stadium and then bring back people with different tickets, I doubt any fan base is buying both sessions. 

Generally dont they bond to the lower seed? Like St John's or N Kentucky?

All true. As was the case with the Boise fans supporting us last year but I’m more hoping that the cougar fans will want to cheer against Texas Tech and support anyone who plays them. Yea I know they clear out the arena but maybe some will have tickets. Idk just want some support. Specifically the Sunday session our games will be one session?

SJU is a NYC based team ppl generally hate NYC. Hurley isn’t a likeable figure on the sidelines...so maybe the locals there can gravitate to us. 

538 website (that predicted us upsetting Arizona last year) said we have a 66% chance to beat ASU and a 73% chance to beat SJU.

While I think either ASU or St. John's is a pretty good first round matchup, I don't like the potential distractions. Additionally I feel the nature of the play in game forces us to match up with a hot/confident team. I believe at least one of the First Four teams has advanced every year so far. I also feel like we got hosed a bit in seeding for the sake of the NCAA's storylines which pushed us out West and into imo the toughest regional. I feel our 1-7 seeds are all strong for their line if not underseeded (with the exception of Marquette). Even Marquette at 5 with Howard and Syracuse with their zone at 8 are less than ideal in a single elimination tournament. Who knows though, anything can happen in March!

Just looking at all the 6/11 matchups. According to NET, we are the highest ranked and we will play the lowest ranked. None of the 11 seeds are found in the Final AP or Coaches polls with one exception: Arizona St - which is ranked 30th in the Coaches poll...interesting.

Looking at kenpom: Iowa St (16) vs Ohio St (45) is a worse match-up than Buffalo (22) vs Arizona St (61).

I am going to write a protest song about the iniquity. Haha

I'll take either team.  I LOVE the Oats v Hurley story from a fan standpoint, and let's all admit, March is about the storylines.

However, I'd prefer St. John's because I think it's a better matchup for us.  Either way, UB is the better team and if the whole team decides to show up and put in a true 40 minute high intensity defensive effort, they should win it solidly.

5 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

What is this pact?  I have been on record as saying Wofford is over rated.  Should I be cheering for them?  Will me hating on them give us bad karma, if so let know. I take it all back.

Both teams have been undefeated since Buffalo and Wofford made a mid-major pact, one of them is going to have to lose when we face each other in the championship game though