Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

(11) ASU vs. (6) #15 UB - NCAA First Round (3/22 at 3:50 PM)

Kevin

Both of these teams kinda sucked (Red Storm much more) as I expected. Worst play in game to watch.

Never get ahead of ourselves. It'll be an emotional game just as much as a practical one. But if that aspect wasn't there, UB is much better than ASU. Still like the matchup in that sense. Not sure how other factors will play in though.

1 minute ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Just don’t foul ASU and send them to the line. That was their offense tonight. 25-33 from the line. We can’t have that repeat itself Friday.

Yeah thats pretty much how they do it and probably will do it Friday. Slows the game flow down as well. They don't shoot a high enough % to really make that their MO but 25/33 was good tonight.

4 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

I just heard that the NCAA pays for chartered flights for all teams to get to their games.  Can that be true?

Effectively true. Travel party for ncaa is 100 (I think) and there is basically only 24 hours from finding out where you’re going to departure so easier to just buy the plane

2 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

Effectively true. Travel party for ncaa is 100 (I think) and there is basically only 24 hours from finding out where you’re going to departure so easier to just buy the plane

Also this allows teams to go home right after a first day in a location loss.  Planes will be available for the games today regardless of who wins or more appropriately loses today.  However, not all teams fly to allocations.  UB went by bus to Columbus when they played West Virginia, so there may be a distance factor involved as well, although the  women flew to Hartford the other day.

Objectively, UB is better than ASU.   Certainly some players have lost a little focus at times, which is expected during a long season (especially on the road).  But in almost all situations, their experience and leadership got them through.

The bottom line is that even if UB doesn't hit on all cylinders (offense and defense), they should win.  UB will be a tough matchup for a lot of better teams, so the ASU matchup is a good thing.  You know what you are getting from Hurley and ASU.  I would be much more concerned about a 12 - 5 game where you have a matchup against a conference winner that has a gaudy record and you know nothing about the coach/team/players (e.g. NMSU).  Heck, Oregon is a 12 and I would not want to play Oregon at the moment.  Give me the team that lost to Vanderbilt by 15 (you know Vanderbilt...the team that failed to win an SEC game this year).

Go Bulls!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, UB05 said:

So who covers Dort on Friday?

This was the main question I was focusing on watching the game last night. Dort is an amazing player. It was fun watching him and scary to see him take that fall. His hip is definitely bruised for the game. I am not sure if I want Dontay on him. Dort gets the foul line, Dontay will be foul out within the first ten minutes. They will see that on scouting reports. Once Dontay is ISO'd on Dort, Dort will drive the lane. 

I would love to see CJ on Dort. 

Remy is banged up too. You can tell through his moves he was restricted and in pain. 

They play very similar to us. I couldn't help but think about our team (huge lead in 1st half) when SJU was coming back in the second half. It should be an interesting match up

We should win this game. But it also depends on which ASU shows up at the door. The one who took Kansas or the one that struggled against SJU.

Edited by BullsFan14

Rebound. Cheatham is a rich mans Demaggio Wiggins. ASU gets after it on the glass, mainly bc they miss a lot of shots lol. 

Defend like the dogs we are but without fouling. We can ill afford Jordan, Caruthers and Perkins in foul trouble. Dort will be a handful but hopefully the combo of CJ and Dontay can guard him well. 

If Remy is that hurt then the best medicine is to run ragged. Attack him with dribble drives.

ASU looks like they wanna play physical which is fine with us. We’ve proven we can win at many styles. 

Lets go Bulls! Is it Friday yet?

ASU fan here, just decided to check out your board.  Much like ours, lots of confidence on their own team winning on Friday.  

One thing I will say, this game should be easy to call within the first 3-5 minutes of the game.  We are either engaged or not, and there is ZERO in-between.  Predicting ASU games is impossible and nobody should be betting on this game unless its an emotional hedge.

What to watch for from us:

1. If we are heaving 3's in the first 3-5 minutes, that is a good sign for Buffalo

2. If we have less than 2 assists in the first 5 minutes that is a really good sign for Buffalo (even if we are ahead). It means the team has abandoned everything its learned in practice and its time for hero ball which Remy, Dort, Cherry, Edwards LOVE to do.  Its their favorite thing, and CBH does his best to reign it in, but its tough.

3. If Buffalo has at least 2 completely open 3 pt looks in the first 3-5 minutes (regardless of success), that is a great sign for you. Our 3pt D is awful, and we allow some a lot of uncontested 3's.  

4. FT Shooting: some games weve gone 25-33, like last night, others we have gone 15-31.  We are yet to put back-to back strong FT games together, which bodes well for UB.

if you guys press Remy/Dort we are in trouble, as we really can only rely on Remy as our sole ball handler and overall best player and he is at about 60%.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, asu fan said:

ASU fan here, just decided to check out your board.  Much like ours, lots of confidence on their own team winning on Friday.  

One thing I will say, this game should be easy to call within the first 3-5 minutes of the game.  We are either engaged or not, and there is ZERO in-between.  Predicting ASU games is impossible and nobody should be betting on this game unless its an emotional hedge.

1. If we are heaving 3's in the first 3-5 minutes, that is a good sign for Buffalo

2. If we have less than 2 assists in the first 5 minutes that is a really good sign for Buffalo (even if we are ahead). It means the team has abandoned everything its learned in practice and its time for hero ball which Remy, Dort, Cherry, Edwards LOVE to do.  Its their favorite thing, and CBH does his best to reign it in, but its tough.

3. If Buffalo has at least 2 completely open 3 pt looks in the first 3-5 minutes (regardless of success), that is a great sign for you. Our 3pt D is awful, and we allow some a lot of uncontested 3's.  

4. FT Shooting: some games weve gone 25-33, like last night, others we have gone 15-31.  We are yet to put back-to back strong FT games together, which bodes well for UB.

if you guys press Remy/Dort we are in trouble, as we really can only rely on Remy as our sole ball handler and overall best player and he is at about 60%.  

Welcome, good luck tomorrow. Of course in the tournament anyone can win. Watching Dort last night was a real pleasure, can’t say I was overly impressed with anyone else. Of course they were starting to play down to St. John’s awful performance. Hurley got our program going so I pull for ASU outside of tomorrow’s game obviously 

Edited by UB05

5 hours ago, asu fan said:

Welcome! And thank you for the analysis. ASU shows up when they play good teams (which I believe we are) should be a good match-up.

32 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

Welcome! And thank you for the analysis. ASU shows up when they play good teams (which I believe we are) should be a good match-up.

Welcome also and a very good analysis of the team. My brother and I watched some ASU games and it was really an up/down type season. We seen them play some great games against some of the top teams and then lose some games against the bottom feeders where they shot horrible. They do have athletic talent and it should be a good test for us. We have to play a 40 minute game and not let up at all. Look for Hurley to get another “T” as he does not look like he can control himself. Go Bulls!!!!!

7 hours ago, asu fan said:

Welcome! I certainly hope it's a good game tomorrow. Dort was impressive, so if he has a game like that tomorrow, it should be a solid game. Awesome analysis, thanks 🙂

Hurley means a lot to all of us, helping UB turn the corner. Not to mention he gave us our savior, Oats 😆

Good luck tomorrow