Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

(11) ASU vs. (6) #15 UB - NCAA First Round (3/22 at 3:50 PM)

Kevin

1 minute ago, JoeyRattlesnake said:

I'm not sure why, but I have an awful feeling in my stomach.  I think I like being the little-guy more than the favorite.  I think the guys are prepared and more than capable, but we've all see too many 11's get hot after that play-in game (see Syracuse 2018).

Kind of like the Bonnies last year, HEY-O!

22 minutes ago, JoeyRattlesnake said:

I'm not sure why, but I have an awful feeling in my stomach.  I think I like being the little-guy more than the favorite.  I think the guys are prepared and more than capable, but we've all see too many 11's get hot after that play-in game (see Syracuse 2018).

Any one else feel similarly?

Nope. I think our senior class is ready. They won 31 games to put us in position to make a run in this tournament. Go out and do it!

21 minutes ago, JoeyRattlesnake said:

I definitely like being the underdog more, but if we want the program to keep moving forward then we will have to accept being the favorite.

33 minutes ago, JoeyRattlesnake said:

Hell NO!!! BULLIEVE!! Go Bulls!!

53 minutes ago, JoeyRattlesnake said:

We’ve been the favorite in our games since January. Conference play had prepared us for this. We are ready. We just have to go out and execute. No excuses. Every game is potentially the last game for our seniors.  We leave it all out on the floor. Go Bulls!

5 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

We’ve been the favorite in our games since January. Conference play had prepared us for this. We are ready. We just have to go out and execute. No excuses. Every game is potentially the last game for our seniors.  We leave it all out on the floor. Go Bulls!

Yep, regular season is one thing... Now it's survive and advance whether you're favored or not. No excuses to not show up and leave it all on the court.

1 hour ago, JoeyRattlesnake said:

I hear ya.  Was rooting for Belmont and St. Mary's yesterday because you know one of these 11 seeds are gonna win a game.  Neither came through so now we have to sweat this out!  

This is it. All those arguments over big wins, efficiency, just winning, and player dry spells all come down to today. 

We are a 6 now, we hold that for the remainder of the season. 

The TT, Michigan, Gonzaga stretch we are looking in the face is a bear, but all we can do is worry about ASU and surviving. Let upsets happen around us. 

Remy is clearly not full strength and they turn the ball over a ton, a general recipe for UB success. UB's team is so veteran and know what this moment is about. ASU is playing a ton of underclassman just like that Arizona team. 

The city deserves this run to continue, I've seen more support this week for this team than ever before. Need to keep it going.

Just win baby. 

Edited by Kevin

38 minutes ago, CheerUB80/84 said:

An 11 seed did not win yesterday. Stats say an 11 always wins one of the four 6/11 games. That worries me

There's a first time for everything! 11 seeds from the first four do tend to win a first round game, but we're no average 6 seed. Time to end the trend.

6 minutes ago, MDBullsfan89 said:

There's a first time for everything! 11 seeds from the first four do tend to win a first round game, but we're no average 6 seed. Time to end the trend.

These trends are something only fans need to think about. They play no actual bearing on the game.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

These trends are something only fans need to think about. They play no actual bearing on the game.

Stats would also show that its time that it doesn't happen. 36.8% odds an 11 beats a 6.

If you factor just two of the 11/6 matchups that involve a play-in team, 9 out of 16 play-in seeds have won one game, good for 56%. Performing at 20% more than the overall seed performance of 11 seeds. That will be brought down to the overall performance of a traditional 11 seeds (these 4 play in teams should, in theory, be worse than the last 2 byes) over time.

Going 0-2 this year would bring them down to 50%. 

Edited by Kevin

Either way you look at it we could have been the 5 seed everyone wanted over Marquette and probably played Ja and Murray St. Ill take this over that for sure.

Im pretty nervous. I think without any outside factors this game the Bulls win by 10-15. But the personal stuff with the coaches is sort of a weird X factor that you can't predict. Such as how bad players want this game for their own coach. I think it would generally work in our favor as the smaller school that got left. But the fact that we are the favorite kind of even turns that around.

Regardless this has been a dream season. Ive seen just about everything Ive wanted to see and more. The season has already been great but for me a perfect season would probably be 2 wins. One today and that next step to weekend 2. 

For those that are nervous, Id say Im a bit in the same boat but this is what its like to start becoming a bigger name program. You have to win this game. These boys thumped Arizona last year. They know the first round is more than winnable. I hope they are confident after feeling it last year. In fact I hope they got a bit of swagger tonight too. Yeah its different being the favorite, but I think the adversity we faced in the middle of the MAC season was good enough to show them they can't just ride on their talent and ranking. I think the MAC tournament run showed they are back to being focused. And most importantly, Harris is ready to go again.

I'm anxious simply because it's the NCAA Tournament and there are no easy games.  Every team you play is another good team.  All those times when they got away with not shooting well, or not making their foul shots, that's not going to fly from here on in.  They're good enough to win these games, but so are their opponents.

Remy Martin is playing on one leg. Need to get in his face all over the court. Hurley had him on the bench a lot against the SJU. They need to pressure the ball and make ASU start their offense well beyond the top of the key. 

58 minutes ago, UBminicre said:

Confidence baby... This season has been unbelievable, and there is no reason it should stop today. We should win. Our team is special, and they will win.

Do agree. This has been another unbelievable season and we are in more uncharted waters. Boy, times sure have changed. When first getting to the tourney we were hoping to be competitive and hope to win. Now we are the better team with the better season stats and should win. It does give all of us a different perspective and being nervous about the game. Let’s keep this joyride going with two wins today. Go Bulls!!!!!