Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Women's NCAA seeding

rma

Selection Monday is tomorrow.

Charlie Creme has us as a 10 vs DePaul in Louisville http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology (CMU an 8, Ohio an 11)

CollegeSportsMadness has us as a 11 vs UCLA in Charlotte https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/womens-basketball/bracketology (CMU a 7, no Ohio)

RealTimeRPI has us a 9 vs Michigan State in South Bend http://realtimerpi.com/bracketology/bracketology_Women.html (CMU an 11, Ohio an 11)

I can see UB as a 10.  We were expected to be in even without a conference title.  There is a potential for travel issues. Starkville, Charlotte, and Raleigh will require donor dollars to travel to.  I wouldn't mind an 11 if we're in the Syracuse regional.

1 hour ago, rma said:

There is a potential for travel issues. Starkville, Charlotte, and Raleigh will require donor dollars to travel to.  

What do you mean here? Donor dollars to fund the team's travel?

Regarding the last four in, it would be nuts if the MAC got 3 bids and Tennessee missed the cut for the first time ever. 

5 hours ago, BrazenBull said:

What do you mean here? Donor dollars to fund the team's travel?

Regarding the last four in, it would be nuts if the MAC got 3 bids and Tennessee missed the cut for the first time ever. 

There is a travel ban for any NY state travel to North Carolina or Mississippi. When Oats and Hodgson recruited Harris they had to fly to VA and take a car to Greensboro.

Based on recent news reports this year, there were some SUNYs that were fundraising money to get to D2/D3 championships in NC, since they could not use their normal budget for travel. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Welp ESPNU just leaked the bracket.

I'll let you search Twitter if you want to spoil it

I like the matchup...however it's also a very unfair seed in comparison to who UB is playing IMO.  And we think the men's committee disregarded the NET.  The women's committee wiped their asses with the RPI rankings.

Edited by UBigbobby

2 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I think a 10 seed is fair. If we were an 11 last year, I can definitely live with a 10 this year.

I have more of a problem with UB being a 10 seed playing an 7, yet UB is ranked 4 spots HIGHER in the RPI than the 7 seed they're playing.  Honestly, this works out well in that first game for UB but it's also shitty on paper.  

Edited by UBigbobby

Also, UNC made the tournament as a 9 seed despite having a record of 18-14 including a losing record of 4-7 on the road.  They made it...as a 9 seed.  Ohio got left out as a 34 RPI.  As usual, the men's bracket looks downright sensible and well reasoned as opposed to the non-nonsensical cluster that is the women's committee.

This would send the women to Storrs.  The first game against Rutgers is very winnable.  The Rutgers head coach (C.Vivian Stringer) took a medical leave late in the season, with the intent to return for the post season.  She now will not coach for the tournament either.  She is is also 70 and has not looked healthy for a few years now.

I think there is something weird going on at Rutgers.  She has brought in a couple of questionable transfers, has had other off the court issues and has not been winning as much as she used to win. 

I believe she has coached her last game for anybody and her medical leave is just a cover to allow her to "retire" rather than be fired.

Would have loved to make another trip up to Storrs as I was serenaded by the student section the last time I was there to see the men play, but alas I will most likely be in Tulsa.

Edited by BrooklynBull

14 minutes ago, UBFan99 said:

If UB wins they are staring at UCONN in round 2. Sweet 16 ain’t gonna happen this year. 

UCONN is a fantastic program. But they've been surpassed by others.  The quality of the women's game has been rising across the board.  They're no longer the boogeyman they used to be. 

10 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

For those in Buffalo they have cancelled the watch party. Really unfortunate for the teams

ESPN really screwed the pooch on this.  They were showing the brackets for 20 minutes on ESPNU this morning.  20 Minutes!!!!  Major cockup that really hurts these programs that fight on campus for all the attention they can get.  Shame on ESPN.

4 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Both games are on Friday roughly at the same time.  Why!!!

The NCAA does not pay attention to what they are doing.  They could have sent UB to Hartford and Villanova to Tulsa and both teams would have been together.

Edited by BrooklynBull

10 hours ago, rma said:

There is a travel ban for any NY state travel to North Carolina or Mississippi. When Oats and Hodgson recruited Harris they had to fly to VA and take a car to Greensboro.

Based on recent news reports this year, there were some SUNYs that were fundraising money to get to D2/D3 championships in NC, since they could not use their normal budget for travel. 

SUNY Geneseo swim team members had private donations through Go Fund Me or whatnot so they could stay in North Carolina - rather than staying in Virginia and having to commute each day. Governor Cuomo put the kibosh to that. Your tax dollars fighting for you.