Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

What the experts are saying

admin

Just finished listening on the Dakich and Greenberg podcast. 

Greenberg is really down on us. Here is his point, I can’t disagree completely. He has us losing to ASU but the bigger thing is he loves Texas tech  

- we play fast, but not sure we are good enough to play this speed

- take too many bad shots. Too many 3s for a team that doesn’t shoot it well

- we might be overrated at this point

I honestly think he’s got some fair points. On us playing fast, I think we need to play this way  

taking too many bad shots. I do think at times we settle for a bad 3. 

Rece Davis however has us in the elite eight. Wow.

Jay Bilas who we hated over the years is also very high on us.

I think we all recognize that we are better this year, but we are missing one key piece. A bail out scorer in Wes Clark. I am not sure who that is this year. It could be Harris or CJ.

I think our fate lies in the hands of how good Harris is. CJ will be consistently good. I think Perkins will be a factor. Now can Harris take over a game like he can? We need him to be that guy (against Zona, MAC finals this year) if we are to go beyond the first game.

No. 6 Buffalo vs. No. 11 Arizona State: Buffalo is legit. Nate Oats was hired by Bobby Hurley after being a high school coach and math teacher in Michigan, and Oats has taken Buffalo to even greater heights. The truth is, Buffalo is better than Arizona State. The Bulls have a great culture and tough players. Buffalo has blue-collar points, and the prize is a construction helmet. Oats often asks his players: Which teams ranked above Buffalo recruited them or even gave them a look? Buffalo gives maximum effort and shows tremendous fight. CJ Massinburg has had a triple-double, 43 points against West Virginia and 25 points against Syracuse. He is an excellent 3-point shooter and a really good guard rebounder. His running mate is Jeremy Harris, a terrific lefty who went to Page High School in Greensboro, North Carolina. Harris had 23 points against Arizona last season. Nick Perkins is the sixth man and is an absolute load who provides firepower off the pine. Perkins played for Oats in high school. Arizona State is athletic and a good offensive-rebounding team led by a freshman from Canada, Luguentz Dort, and San Diego State transfer Zylan Cheatham, who had a triple-double earlier this season. Arizona State has terrific athleticism, and Remy Martin is the heart and soul of the team. The Sun Devils are good and will beat St. John's in Dayton. But Buffalo is better and will move forward.

Source

H/T: @BrazenBull

10 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Jesus Christ, Jay Bilas is one lazy hack. 

I’ll give Bilas a pass here. It is quite easy to see how a national analyst might get a nitty gritty detail a bit off. Oats coached against Perks high school team. It has been reported but easy to get it wrong.  

Forget the experts.  At the end of the day they will always pick the big programs. Just look at Vitale's final four picks. Heck look at the errors they make when they write or talk about our team.   All I know is whats in front of us.  And right now ASU to me is more dangerous than St. Johns.  And if we can get by the 1st round I feel we match up very well against Texas Tech.  But ASU makes me nervous.

6 hours ago, admin said:

Just finished listening on the Dakich and Greenberg podcast. 

Greenberg is really down on us. Here is his point, I can’t disagree completely. He has us losing to ASU but the bigger thing is he loves Texas tech  

- we play fast, but not sure we are good enough to play this speed

- take too many bad shots. Too many 3s for a team that doesn’t shoot it well

- we might be overrated at this point

I honestly think he’s got some fair points. On us playing fast, I think we need to play this way  

taking too many bad shots. I do think at times we settle for a bad 3. 

Rece Davis however has us in the elite eight. Wow.

Jay Bilas who we hated over the years is also very high on us.

I think we all recognize that we are better this year, but we are missing one key piece. A bail out scorer in Wes Clark. I am not sure who that is this year. It could be Harris or CJ.

I think our fate lies in the hands of how good Harris is. CJ will be consistently good. I think Perkins will be a factor. Now can Harris take over a game like he can? We need him to be that guy (against Zona, MAC finals this year) if we are to go beyond the first game.

Agree that Harris and CJ have to be at the top of their games. Hope Perkins plays like he did before the BG game. He really looked like he was stuck in cement, no quickness just like he was out of gas and then losing his cool and getting a “T”. Graves will have to continue his shooting efficiency, Caruthers needs to stay out of foul trouble and Jordan has to be efficient in handling the ball. In other words we need a total team effort on both offense and defense. Go Bulls!!!!!

This UB team can beat any team in the country except maybe Duke, UVA, or the Zags.  However to do so they need to lock it in for a full 40 minutes and they can't have half the team fall asleep.  They were prone to this all year.  UB is better than ASU and St. Johns, but they WILL lose if they do what they did for much of the MAC season and sleepwalk through games.  We need an Akron effort.  If they give a CMU effort they will get bounced fast.  BUT, if we get that Akron effort, they should win their first game and have a very good shot at Texas Tech.  I don't think Michigan is as good as many think (as MSU keeps showing us) and are beatable.  Elite Eight will be difficult, but it also wouldn't be shocking if they make it there.  But again...they cannot repeat the bad habits we saw from them during many MAC games.  You can blow a 16 point lead vs BG and still win by 15.  You cannot against Texas Tech or Michigan.

• Like 1

Just listened to Steve Smith and Andy Katz. Katz has us beating Texas Tech. He thinks we are due for a breakthrough.  He has us falling to Michigan. 

Is anyone else a little uncomfortable with all the love from the experts? Next thing we know Barkley is going to jump on the wagon. 

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Just listened to Steve Smith and Andy Katz. Katz has us beating Texas Tech. He thinks we are due for a breakthrough.  He has us falling to Michigan. 

Is anyone else a little uncomfortable with all the love from the experts? Next thing we know Barkley is going to jump on the wagon. 

Welcome to the big time.  Being the underdog is nice because if you lose...well you we're supposed to, so people will give you credit for how close to kept it, or the fight you put up.  But if you want to be big time...that comes with expectations.  No UB program has ever been in that position.  Hell, it's been a long time since any Buffalo team (including Bills and Sabres) have been in that position.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, admin said:

More than a little uncomfortable. The hyped-up teams have a nasty habit of flaming out in their first game.  This makes for great TV, as all the networks drop what they're doing to zoom-in on the upset in progress.  It's the under-hyped teams -- the ones that don't seem to get much attention -- that seem to win games.

2 minutes ago, sportscliche said:

More than a little uncomfortable. The hyped-up teams have a nasty habit of flaming out in their first game.  This makes for great TV, as all the networks drop what they're doing to zoom-in on the upset in progress.  It's the under-hyped teams -- the ones that don't seem to get much attention -- that seem to win games.

I have to disagree.  Most of the time the hyped up teams win just fine.  We just remember those that fail more because of the spectacle around it.  

6 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

LaPhonso Ellis just raved about us.  He has us going deep making a final 4 run.  Spoke about our defense and the big 3. Seth Greenberg has ASU beating us.  He says we take bad shots.

Seth Greenberg is a tool.  We sometimes take rushed shots, but I rarely see us take bad shots.  

1 hour ago, UBigbobby said:

Seth Greenberg is a tool.  We sometimes take rushed shots, but I rarely see us take bad shots.  

I never quite understood why Greenberg is perceived as some sort of coaching genius. In 16 seasons at South Florida and then VA Tech, his teams managed to make exactly one NCAA tournament where they won exactly one game. I think he represents the “edgy” take in those pre-game and halftime rap sessions. Sorta throw out a contrary opinion just to make things interesting.

It’s great to get all this positive PR. But it’s all based on what the team has done. This is a new season. First team to win 6 gets all the marbles. It may be unlikely but no reason we cannot do it. One game at a time. Beat whoever comes out of the play in game. Get everyone playing well at the same time and let it ride baby. The one thing I like about our team above all others is their compete level. They are tenacious. Go Bulls! 

10 hours ago, UBigbobby said:

Greenberg and Dakich are both douche bags. I'll never forget Dakich last year prior to the Arizona game shouting "Nate Oats, get out of the MAC while you can!" And it was coming from a failure of a coach. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, admin said:

This is pretty spot on. Its looked a little off at times offensively because we didn't have the shooter like Wes Clark or many other down the line we could name before him. We shoot a lot and run but it sometimes doesn't look like we are great at that style because we don't shoot the 3 great. We have guys that can shoot them, hit them, but it goes a bit dry sometimes and never looks too smooth. So in that Greenberg has somewhat of a point.

And you really nailed it though, Harris is the key. You need that extra scorer. When hes off like he was most of the MAC schedule, he's useless from outside. Hes better off driving the basket (and generally always will be). But then come March you see his stroke return to the point where you  are completely fine with him from the arc. If hes going well I can see us getting to the second weekend. If hes anything like he was during the regular season then it will be an issue mostly because of how many shots will be wasted coming out of his hand. CJ is always going to be clutch but would be nice for his shooting to be better Friday. Most shooting issues can be offset somewhat if we really put in a full 40 which we are capable of. If theyve been saving these full 40 efforts all season for the NCAA tourney, Im ok with it.