Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Pretty Sure I'm Dreaming, But Don't Wake Me Up

I listed to Howard and Jeremy this morning.  Only talked UB men and women for at least an hour and a half.  It was the main topic of their show.  On the drive home WGR were talking 100% UB Bulls.  Talking matchups with ASU or St. Johns.  Every single caller wanted to talk about UB.  Talking about the recruits coming in next year, and the the long term possibilities.  

Basically, the Bulls were being treated like a legitimate companion to the Bills and Sabres.  There was a discussion on who you think the most important Sports personalities in Buffalo are.  Many people felt #1 was either Eichel/Dahlin or Josh Allen.  #3 or #4 was Nate Oats.

I will admit I don't know what Schopp and Bulldog talked about.  They have previously said they do not follow basketball (college or NBA) at all, so i don't know if they tried to talk UB or instead debate which third string tackle the Bills should sign next.

This may only last until the weekend, but never, at any point did I think UB basketball could be more than a weekly interview of Nate Oats on Howard and Jeremy and a 5-10 minute segment.  To see basically the entire day dedicated to actual discussion of the Bulls was fantastic.  

At work today I had people talking to me about the Bulls because they know I'm a fan.  One colleague started a water cooler discussion about how she loves CJ and doesn't understand how Jordan can be so bad at freethrows.  She's a Buff State alum and her husband went to Canisius.  She has 0 UB connections.

Edited by UBigbobby
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

At work today I had people talking to me about the Bulls because they know I'm a fan.  One colleague started a water cooler discussion about how she loves CJ and doesn't understand how Jordan can be so bad at freethrows.

I don't either.  Jordan's season 3 PT FG percentage of 31.8% (27 of 85) is better than his FT percentage of 27.3% (12 of 44).  Does anyone recall a situation like this ever happening before? This is a good shooter who has psyched himself out.

18 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

There was a discussion on who you think the most important Sports personalities in Buffalo are.

I know the women's team get a lot less coverage than the men's, but Felisha Legette-Jack is up there in my list, possibly higher than Nate Oats.  Listen to her speak and you'll know why.

Love the WGR coverage.  I'm not a listener (though I did tune in today), but it's a HUGE audience that we need to capture.

• Like 1

Just now, rma said:

I know the women's team get a lot less coverage than the men's, but Felisha Legette-Jack is up there in my list, possibly higher than Nate Oats.  Listen to her speak and you'll know why.

Love the WGR coverage.  I'm not a listener (though I did tune in today), but it's a HUGE audience that we need to capture.

WGR is terrible, but important.  They drive a LOT of what the sports conversation is and where fans attention is placed.  For much of the year, other than short segments and a weekly interview with Nate on Howard Simon, WGR completed ignored UB, despite their ranking.  Buzz was building in the city and people were talking about them, but WGR continued to steadfastly demand it wasn't a story worth anyone's time and refused to cover it.  Them finally deciding that the buzz among the public was too much to ignore and deciding to devote this much time to UB is important.  There are still a lot of UB skeptics out there who haven't heard the news.  WGR giving UB airtime like the Sabres or Bills legitimizes the program in the eyes of many Buffalo fans who may have not jumped on the bandwagon yet. 

1 minute ago, UBigbobby said:

WGR giving UB airtime like the Sabres or Bills legitimizes the program in the eyes of many Buffalo fans who may have not jumped on the bandwagon yet. 

Completely agree.  The little things add up.  I noticed the Wegmans on Transit/Maple gives UB equal merch space as the Sabres currently (though it is still weird to see UB Under Armor apparel).  You see people walking around with UB hats or shirts.  My coworkers go from "How did UB do?" to "Wow, what a great win".  WGRZ had an article saying season ticket sales are up 40%, merchandise sales up 50%.

3 minutes ago, rma said:

Completely agree.  The little things add up.  I noticed the Wegmans on Transit/Maple gives UB equal merch space as the Sabres currently (though it is still weird to see UB Under Armor apparel).  You see people walking around with UB hats or shirts.  My coworkers go from "How did UB do?" to "Wow, what a great win".  WGRZ had an article saying season ticket sales are up 40%, merchandise sales up 50%.

Yup, I noticed the same at the Dick Rd. Wegmans.  Earlier in the season there may have been maybe 1 or 2 UB things.  However a few weeks ago I noticed that the Sabres, Bills, and UB stuff was evenly split, and the UB still was being given the better, more visible placement. 

10 hours ago, sportscliche said:

I don't either.  Jordan's season 3 PT FG percentage of 31.8% (27 of 85) is better than his FT percentage of 27.3% (12 of 44).  Does anyone recall a situation like this ever happening before? This is a good shooter who has psyched himself out.

A lot of it is mental. And I think with his troubles at the free throw line, also affects his game in the sense of him slashing through the lane to the basket, because if he gets fouled, he usually will miss one free throw or both. And I hope it's an area that he improves on in the offseason.

12 hours ago, UBigbobby said:

I listed to Howard and Jeremy this morning.  Only talked UB men and women for at least an hour and a half.  It was the main topic of their show.  On the drive home WGR were talking 100% UB Bulls.  Talking matchups with ASU or St. Johns.  Every single caller wanted to talk about UB.  Talking about the recruits coming in next year, and the the long term possibilities.  

Basically, the Bulls were being treated like a legitimate companion to the Bills and Sabres.  There was a discussion on who you think the most important Sports personalities in Buffalo are.  Many people felt #1 was either Eichel/Dahlin or Josh Allen.  #3 or #4 was Nate Oats.

I will admit I don't know what Schopp and Bulldog talked about.  They have previously said they do not follow basketball (college or NBA) at all, so i don't know if they tried to talk UB or instead debate which third string tackle the Bills should sign next.

This may only last until the weekend, but never, at any point did I think UB basketball could be more than a weekly interview of Nate Oats on Howard and Jeremy and a 5-10 minute segment.  To see basically the entire day dedicated to actual discussion of the Bulls was fantastic.  

At work today I had people talking to me about the Bulls because they know I'm a fan.  One colleague started a water cooler discussion about how she loves CJ and doesn't understand how Jordan can be so bad at freethrows.  She's a Buff State alum and her husband went to Canisius.  She has 0 UB connections.

Great to hear the radio heads and community talking UB for another postseason.  Howard generally knows UB sports the best and can have a good conversation about the program...football, mens hoops and women's.   Schopp had Nate Oats on his podcast a few months ago for a long chat about sports and family stuff.  They both live on Grand Island and seemed to know each other off-air.  So the WGR guys do have a healthy respect for the only consistently winning program in town.

1 hour ago, rma said:

Tuned in this morning for the drive in and they brought up that men’s and women’s are playing at the same time.  Great to see BOTH basketball teams get a little air time. 

I got to work too soon, but sometime this morning Howard was going to be interviewing FLJ on air.  They're getting love too.

12 hours ago, UBigbobby said:

Yup, I noticed the same at the Dick Rd. Wegmans.  Earlier in the season there may have been maybe 1 or 2 UB things.  However a few weeks ago I noticed that the Sabres, Bills, and UB stuff was evenly split, and the UB still was being given the better, more visible placement. 

At the Wegmans on Sheridan, their main apparel wall is all UB stuff. Awesome visibility. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

At the Wegmans on Sheridan, their main apparel wall is all UB stuff. Awesome visibility. 

Yeah Wegmans has done a great job all year IMO with the merch area for UB. Especially the Sheridan one by me in Williamsville that you speak of.

Schopp and the Bulldog talked UB yesterday for quite a while but it was cringy as expected. It was mostly Schopp doing his usual over analyzing/philosophizing about what it all means for UB in the conscience of the local sports fan.

But at least its there. If UB slowly turns into the legit/consistent 3rd sports team in town on the regular, it has to start somewhere. I even thought 2 decades ago the ceiling was always there for this program to do this if it could find success. Heck I was a high school kid that got into this program hardcore. It always had the potential to be Buffalos team on the whole like other large college programs are.

Has anybody been to Dick's recently? IDK why but it feels like that would be the sign of local buy-in. If there's demand for a national big box store to carry UB over Syracuse (or other teams with national recognition) I'll be confident that we're breaking through.

4 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Has anybody been to Dick's recently? IDK why but it feels like that would be the sign of local buy-in. If there's demand for a national big box store to carry UB over Syracuse (or other teams with national recognition) I'll be confident that we're breaking through.

Im actually going there today for some golf stuff and was thinking the same thing! If you can break the Syracuse Orange/NY Yankees overkill of common products, then its on.

23 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Im actually going there today for some golf stuff and was thinking the same thing! If you can break the Syracuse Orange/NY Yankees overkill of common products, then its on.

Cracker Barrel.  The Cracker Barrel on Transit ONLY sells Syracuse stuff.  And it is infuriating.

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

The Alnutts posted a picture of UB gear in Dicks. My guess is they had to look to find a place devoid of orange to post the picture online. Baby steps I guess. 

20 minutes ago, rma said:

The Alnutts posted a picture of UB gear in Dicks. My guess is they had to look to find a place devoid of orange to post the picture online. Baby steps I guess. 

I was at Dick’s yesterday and there were racks and racks of Sabres,Yankees and some Bills stuff along with Syracuse???? I found a rack of UB stuff in the middle of all the other racks. Dick’s very slow to jump on the bandwagon. Again money and influence talks with the pro scene. Our family have stopped buying over priced pro apparel long ago. Support our local UB teams that are winning and giving us exciting times. Go Bulls!!!!

2 hours ago, zigo230 said:

Great to hear the radio heads and community talking UB for another postseason.  Howard generally knows UB sports the best and can have a good conversation about the program...football, mens hoops and women's.   Schopp had Nate Oats on his podcast a few months ago for a long chat about sports and family stuff.  They both live on Grand Island and seemed to know each other off-air.  So the WGR guys do have a healthy respect for the only consistently winning program in town.

Let’s face it WGR isn’t run by stupid people. They reallly only want to talk about the Sabres and Bills and Jeremy talking about his Syracuse. They had no choice but to jump on the UB hype and to get more fans to listen to them. Our family have stopped listening to all of WGR long ago. The Bucky and Sully show at least have a better overall mix of sports topics and have had more UB sports topics all year. Go Bulls!!!!!Our family have been wearing our UB apparel and the buzz is all around town. When we see other fans the refrain is “Go Bulls and horns up.” Go Bullls!!!!!

2 hours ago, John said:

I was at Dick’s yesterday and there were racks and racks of Sabres,Yankees and some Bills stuff along with Syracuse???? I found a rack of UB stuff in the middle of all the other racks. Dick’s very slow to jump on the bandwagon. Again money and influence talks with the pro scene. Our family have stopped buying over priced pro apparel long ago. Support our local UB teams that are winning and giving us exciting times. Go Bulls!!!!

I'm pretty sure Dick's gets stocked at a regional level they only carry 1 team for each sport. It's frustrating being a Mets fan too when they only have Yankees stuff.

12 minutes ago, RochBull said:
2 hours ago, John said:

I'm pretty sure Dick's gets stocked at a regional level they only carry 1 team for each sport. It's frustrating being a Mets fan too when they only have Yankees stuff.

Dick's does not set up the displays.  The displays are set my the manufacturer, i.e. Nike Adidas etc.

When Cincinnati was a Nike school their clothes were put behind Ohio State.  When they jumped to Adidas they were up front and their sales jumped dramatically.

6 hours ago, John said:

Let’s face it WGR isn’t run by stupid people. They reallly only want to talk about the Sabres and Bills and Jeremy talking about his Syracuse. They had no choice but to jump on the UB hype and to get more fans to listen to them. Our family have stopped listening to all of WGR long ago. The Bucky and Sully show at least have a better overall mix of sports topics and have had more UB sports topics all year. Go Bulls!!!!!Our family have been wearing our UB apparel and the buzz is all around town. When we see other fans the refrain is “Go Bulls and horns up.” Go Bullls!!!!!

Where to start. How many years can the WGR hacks keep talking about 2 teams that never amount to anything? If making the tournament is equal to making the playoffs UB is light years ahead of the other 2 laughing stocks. Bucky and Sully actually follow basketball and UB and tell the truth much more than the cheerleaders down the dial. B/S have had numerous players on this year.  If the Bills or Sabres ever do anything itll put UB on the back burner again but I'm confident both teams will continue spinning their wheels for years to come.

2 hours ago, pottier25 said:

How many years can the WGR hacks keep talking about 2 teams that never amount to anything?

It's obvious that the city cares about both teams, but I just find it hard to believe that an entire station can be dedicated to essentially two pro sports teams for the entire year.  There's Bulls, Beauts, Bandits, Bison, Griffins, Purple Eagles, Wildcats, and probably a few more other teams I'm missing.

14 hours ago, pottier25 said:

Where to start. How many years can the WGR hacks keep talking about 2 teams that never amount to anything? If making the tournament is equal to making the playoffs UB is light years ahead of the other 2 laughing stocks. Bucky and Sully actually follow basketball and UB and tell the truth much more than the cheerleaders down the dial. B/S have had numerous players on this year.  If the Bills or Sabres ever do anything itll put UB on the back burner again but I'm confident both teams will continue spinning their wheels for years to come.

Rochester area sports talk is very much the same. Basically Bills or general NFL 24x7. Even the Sabres tend to be on the backburner. All of a sudden the hosts talk a ton about Syracuse this time of year and then forgotten the rest of the year.