Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The Impact of Winning

I saw this yesterday on the news and was intrigued by this:

"And the school measures what's called "total reach." Basically, UB looks at all media that is done about it to see how many eyes are looking at UB -- and the calculation on that was 1.5 billion people this year -- up from more than 500 million people a year ago."

I chatted with Tripathi briefly on the court after the women won in Cleveland and this is basically the gist of what I said.  I thanked him for supporting athletics and mentioned how it's so important that the public perception of the University be bolstered by successful big time athletics to more closely match the demonstrated academic success of the University.  Basically, we're the #28 public institution in the nation, ahead of places like Minnesota, but no one know us.  The athletics success has helped so much in swaying public perception across the country of the university and that will have a positive impact on recruiting faculty, recruiting students, and soliciting alumni donations.  He agreed and said that the impact they've been able to measure has been massive.

• Like 6

UB was always a sleeping giant.  It rustled a few times during the last decade or so, but now it is waking up.

I hate to beat the same drum, but we need to find a new conference home for athletic and academic reasons.  I know that does not happen overnight, but it needs to be the next part of the plan.

6 minutes ago, UB92 said:

UB was always a sleeping giant.  

I hate to beat the same drum, but we need to find a new conference home for athletic and academic reasons.  I know that does not happen overnight, but it needs to be the next part of the plan.

This is the next big step and the one that propels you. Even if you basement dwell a bit from time to time early on.

Barring another inevitable conference realignment, the AAC just seems like the best fit for that fair jump. Dreamed about this idea when I first started following the program and wasn't sure if in my lifetime it would even happen but here we are having the conversation.

6 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I think the order of operations is

1. Retain Oats
  2. Keep winning
  3. Upgrade Alumni (includes student rec. center)
  4. Keep winning
  5. Retain Oats
  6. Keep winning
  7. Retain Oats
  8. Keep winning
  9. Get sniffs from better conferences

Yeah the navigating of the Oats keeping year after year is the key. If you can do what very very few mid major programs have been able to do (get their coaches not to bail for P5) then the Gonzaga path is real.

I feel even though Pegula cares more about Penn State, he's always in love with throwing his money at things to make Buffalo great. Regardless of how the Sabres and Bills have grown on the field, his money has been awesome. Plain and simple. To that extent I always kinda feel like he could end up being an X-factor here. He sees UB becoming the 3rd franchise in town and the only question becomes can UB pay Oats enough to fend off big school offers, he throws an extra 400k in the pot? I don't think this is as crazy as it sounds.

3 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I saw this yesterday on the news and was intrigued by this:

"And the school measures what's called "total reach." Basically, UB looks at all media that is done about it to see how many eyes are looking at UB -- and the calculation on that was 1.5 billion people this year -- up from more than 500 million people a year ago."

Just spit balling here, but men's attendance went up 30,000 tickets this year.  What's an average ticket... $20?  That means we raked in an additional $600,000 or so.  That's most of Oats' salary.  Now, a lot of that might be students, which are free, but theoretically, revenue took a large jump.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I think the order of operations is

1. Retain Oats
  2. Keep winning
  3. Upgrade Alumni (includes student rec. center)
  4. Keep winning
  5. Retain Oats
  6. Keep winning
  7. Retain Oats
  8. Keep winning
  9. Get sniffs from better conferences

I think that 1, 5, 7 are essential and tied in greatly with 2, 4, 6, 8...but I would add "and staff" as I feel they are a great cohesive group that work very well together.

24 minutes ago, JoeyRattlesnake said:

Just spit balling here, but men's attendance went up 30,000 tickets this year.  What's an average ticket... $20?  That means we raked in an additional $600,000 or so.  That's most of Oats' salary.  Now, a lot of that might be students, which are free, but theoretically, revenue took a large jump.

The article said combined increase of 30k tickets between men's and women's games, but probably the bulk of those were for the men's games.  Excellent point.

I never like to think of the student tickets as "free" or ones that don't generate revenue like the rest of the arena.  The students are paying to go to school there, they're paying fees that help fund athletics.  They're not free-loading there and they should be treated as people paying into this just like everyone else in the arena.

This was just posted on reddit.  That number seems so low for us.  We have so many people here locally that were watching the game!

Conference Championship Teams Viewers
Atlantic Coast Duke/Florida State 4,150,000
Big Ten Michigan/Michigan State 3,939,000
Big 12 Iowa State/Kansas 2,516,000
Southeastern Tennessee/Auburn 2,237,000
Pac 12 Oregon/Washington 1,991,000
Big East Villanova/Seton Hall 1,432,000
Mountain West Utah State/San Diego State 1,317,000
Atlantic 10 St. Bonaventure/Saint Louis 1,284,000
Missouri Valley Bradley/Northern Iowa 1,275,000
American Houston/Cincinnati 1,131,000
West Coast St. Mary's/Gonzaga 1,003,000
Southern UNC Greensboro/Wofford 647,000
Horizon League Northern Kentucky/Wright State 450,000
Mid-America Bowling Green/Buffalo 382,000
Ohio Valley Murray State/Belmont 337,000
America East UMBC/Vermont 303,000

59 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

In Cleveland I said to Mark Alnutt, "Mark, we're going to be playing for the American championship in a few years, right?"  His response was, "Oh yea, that would be nice!".

You heard it here first.  Confirmed. We're moving to the AAC.

😄 😄😉 

That's funny...but if it wasn't in the cards, he probably would have given you a comment (short or long) about how that isn't possible at the time, the MAC is a good fit, etc., etc. 

So...as you write...confirmed.

Just some notes about the AAC.

The top football coach (Holgorsen) makes $4M.  The bottom is Charlie Strong at USF ($1M).

Tulane lost all 18 MBB conference games this year.

The conference has 11 members that play MBB and WBB and football.  One plays football (NAVY) while one plays both MBB and WBB (Wichita St).  Thus, they have 12 teams in MBB, WBB and football.

And, of course, this conference has the Civil ConFLiCT.  That, alone, puts it above others.

22 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

This was just posted on reddit.  That number seems so low for us.  We have so many people here locally that were watching the game!

I think the Duke and Florida State game was taking place at the same time. Not trying to make excuses. We keep winning, we will become more visible. 

56 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Keep in mind some of these games were on CBS.  Which naturally reaches more viewers than ESPN2.  Games like Utah St/San Diego St, Houston/Cincy, Bona/St Louis and the Big10.  Don't know how the Horizon League got more viewers than us.  Was that game on CBS too?  And it was mentioned that we went up against the Big East final which was on FOX and almighty Duke too.

Edited by DooleyBull06

1 hour ago, ed said:

Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education Rankings.  It's a newer system that foregoes some of the more traditional US News metrics like SAT scores and class sizes to focus on actual outcomes and student success more.  Far better system that better reflects the actual experience a student will have. 

I'm not saying this because UB does better in it.  I work in higher education and do work with student success and engagement and the WSJ rankings are a positive step up from US News.  The selectivity of a school, or the SAT scores of their applicants or metrics like these, which US News relies heavily on have little bearing on the actual quality of education a school provides.  

I did misspeak.  Minnesota is #27 and UB is 28.  

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/best-public-universities-united-states

Edited by UBigbobby

18 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education Rankings.  It's a newer system that foregoes some of the more traditional US News metrics like SAT scores and class sizes to focus on actual outcomes and student success more.  Far better system that better reflects the actual experience a student will have. 

I'm not saying this because UB does better in it.  I work in higher education and do work with student success and engagement and the WSJ rankings are a positive step up from US News.  The selectivity of a school, or the SAT scores of their applicants or metrics like these, which US News relies heavily on have little bearing on the actual quality of education a school provides.  

I did misspeak.  Minnesota is #27 and UB is 28.  

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/best-universities/best-public-universities-united-states

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/USmethodology2019

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/ranking-criteria-and-weights

eh. can't say that reads like it definitively focuses more on outcomes and successes more.  i'd argue that the factors listed under 'outcomes' in the timeshighereducation bucket are weighed less than the equivalent bucket in us news.  i.e. i'm not convinced you're not just picking the higher ranking, but that's ok.  ;D

2 minutes ago, ed said:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/USmethodology2019

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-colleges/articles/ranking-criteria-and-weights

eh. can't say that reads like it definitively focuses more on outcomes and successes more.  i'd argue that the factors listed under 'outcomes' in the timeshighereducation bucket are weighed less than the equivalent bucket in us news.  i.e. i'm not convinced you're not just picking the higher ranking, but that's ok.  ;D

WSJ  also incorporates student engagement, which has a major impact on outcomes including success and the development of employable skills.  I'd recommend the book Engagement and Employability by Dr. Adam Peck for a primer on the link between student engagement and outcomes achievement.  There's also a demonstrated link between student engagement and retention and success.

Again, you can think what you want about me and my motives.  But my career is working in student success, retention, and engagement.  I prefer the WSJ rankings because they factor these measurements in, in a more modern way than the US News does.  

3 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

WSJ  also incorporates student engagement, which has a major impact on outcomes including success and the development of employable skills.  I'd recommend the book Engagement and Employability by Dr. Adam Peck for a primer on the link between student engagement and outcomes achievement.  There's also a demonstrated link between student engagement and retention and success.

Again, you can think what you want about me and my motives.  But my career is working in student success, retention, and engagement.  I prefer the WSJ rankings because they factor these measurements in, in a more modern way than the US News does.  

Ha, no, you don’t get to double bookkeep like that. Sure, engagement may be related to outcomes, but they have an engagement category, and a separate outcomes category that presumably takes into account any outcome benefit from engagement. So no taking extra credit for tracking engagement because it leads to better outcomes, when outcomes are already tracked. 

24 minutes ago, ed said:

Ha, no, you don’t get to double bookkeep like that. Sure, engagement may be related to outcomes, but they have an engagement category, and a separate outcomes category that presumably takes into account any outcome benefit from engagement. So no taking extra credit for tracking engagement because it leads to better outcomes, when outcomes are already tracked. 

I have no idea why you're fighting me on this.  I prefer the WSJ/THE rankings due to their methodology over the US News ones.  UB is #28 among publics in the WSJ rankings and what? #38 in the US News?  Both are fantastic spots to be in for UB.  UB is a top quality academic institution among national public universities.  I'm completely unsure of what your goal is.

55 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

I have no idea why you're fighting me on this.  I prefer the WSJ/THE rankings due to their methodology over the US News ones.  UB is #28 among publics in the WSJ rankings and what? #38 in the US News?  Both are fantastic spots to be in for UB.  UB is a top quality academic institution among national public universities.  I'm completely unsure of what your goal is.

I too like polls that tell me I am great.

6 hours ago, JoeyRattlesnake said:

I take a conservative estimate and say tickets are $10 per person per game. For a few reasons. Season tickets come out to a few bucks less than that per game for the cheap seats. Then you have the MoBULL pass which is $10/seat.  For single games I want to say tickets are somewhere around $15-$25, which is offset by students that are free.  Then women’s games which are $10 I believe.

I’m sure the numbers are out there somewhere but this year we had a lot more general public than we normally do.

After an incredible season in 2004-2005, and then loosing Battle, Bortz, Gilbert and Bird to graduation, home attendance stayed essentially the same the following year.  Despite the team's final RIP dropping by nearly 100 places that year.  Next year should be another fun one in Alumni...