Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Does UB need an Improved Home Schedule?

13 hours ago, hurley said:

For comparison my parents are longtime season ticket holders for the Siena Saints, who have a lot of local support and have had some very good years but nothing noteworthy the past decade.

They pay 375 per season ticket. Success drives interest, or in other words demand. This is a good thing. 

I just looked at Siena's schedule.  They have a great home schedule for a MAAC school. 

Compare the non-conference home games over the last two years:

Siena

- Florida Gulf Coast
- Hofstra
- St Bona
- Robert Morris
- Albany
- Holy Cross
- Lehigh
- Colgate
- Harvard
- Charleston
- Cal Poly

Buffalo

- Canisius
- Jacksonville State
- St. Bona
- Central Penn
- Robert Morris
- NJIT
- St. Francis
- Dartmouth
- Marist
- Le Moyne
- Southern Illinois

If the prices are going up, then we better be getting much better games at home.  We should only be playing D1 teams.  And should probably get more home games than we have been playing.

6 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I just looked at Siena's schedule.  They have a great home schedule for a MAAC school. 

Compare the non-conference home games over the last two years:

Siena

- Florida Gulf Coast
- Hofstra
- St Bona
- Robert Morris
- Albany
- Holy Cross
- Lehigh
- Colgate
- Harvard
- Charleston
- Cal Poly

Buffalo

- Canisius
- Jacksonville State
- St. Bona
- Central Penn
- Robert Morris
- NJIT
- St. Francis
- Dartmouth
- Marist
- Le Moyne
- Southern Illinois

If the prices are going up, then we better be getting much better games at home.  We should only be playing D1 teams.  And should probably get more home games than we have been playing.

How is that Siena schedule any different than ours? It's quite comparable.  Again,  these prices are more than fair, as would an increased price, which has included free parking. The deal is a steal no matter what.

9 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

How is that Siena schedule any different than ours? It's quite comparable.  Again,  these prices are more than fair, as would an increased price, which has included free parking. The deal is a steal no matter what.

Yeah no free parking in downtown Albany. There you have an excuse to leave early. The team sucks and/or your parking meter is running out.

25 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Final KenPom rating and their performance in their conference if they were top 200.   You will see Siena played much better teams and teams that were on the cusp of getting NCAA bids by winning their conference.

Siena

- 68 - St Bona (NCAA bid, 2nd A10)
- 120 - Charleston ( 3rd CAA)
- 124 - Harvard (Champ Ivy)
- 129 - Colgate (NCAA bid - Champ PL)
- 127 - Florida Gulf Coast (Champ ASun)
- 151 - Albany (4th AEC)
- 157 - Hofstra (3rd CAA)
- 169 - Lehigh (3rd PL)
- 253 - Robert Morris (scrub)
- 290 - Holy Cross (scrub)
- 333 - Cal Poly (scrub)

Buffalo

- 131 - Canisius (2nd MAAC)
- 142 - Jacksonville State (4th OVC)
- 150 - Southern Illinois (3rd MVC)
- 218 - Dartmouth
- 253 - Robert Morris
- 254 - NJIT
- 261 - St. Francis
- 274 - Marist
- Le Moyne
- Central Penn

Edited by dutchcountry7

25 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Final KenPom rating and their performance in their conference if they were top 200.   You will see Siena played much better teams and teams that were on the cusp of getting NCAA bids by winning their conference.

Siena

- 120 - Charleston ( 3rd CAA)
- 124 - Harvard (Champ Ivy)
- 129 - Colgate (NCAA bid - Champ PL)
- 127 - Florida Gulf Coast (Champ ASun)
- 151 - Albany (4th AEC)
- 157 - Hofstra (3rd CAA)
- 169 - Lehigh (3rd PL)
- 253 - Robert Morris (scrub)
- 290 - Holy Cross (scrub)
- 333 - Cal Poly (scrub)

Buffalo

- 131 - Canisius (2nd MAAC)
- 142 - Jacksonville State (4th OVC)
- 150 - Southern Illinois (3rd MVC)
- 218 - Dartmouth
- 253 - Robert Morris
- 254 - NJIT
- 261 - St. Francis
- 274 - Marist
- Le Moyne
- Central Penn

How were Siena's in-conference opponent's NET as compared to our opponents? Every single team 200+ NET vs. only 1 MAC opponent over 175 (and we didn't even draw them at home). We can skew the data however you want. If you want to nit-pick over small things, you'll find it no matter what. In the end, I personally have no problems if there is an increase (and I feel there should be a nominal one in order to raise a few additional dollars), and we don't even know if there will be one or how much it would be, so why worry about it?

On 3/16/2019 at 9:19 AM, UB05 said:

This was my thought as well. Hopefully he enjoys it here enough to not be swayed by other offers, because power 5 teams won’t even blink at that buyout.

Yep, some Big10 program would reach into their petty cash drawer to pay that buyout.

Hopefully, as Nate says...his agent will just say "thanks but no thanks" to all calls.   With all the recruiting scandals going on and nonsense.. coach has a great thing going here.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

How were Siena's in-conference opponent's NET as compared to our opponents? Every single team 200+ NET vs. only 1 MAC opponent over 175 (and we didn't even draw them at home). We can skew the data however you want. If you want to nit-pick over small things, you'll find it no matter what. In the end, I personally have no problems if there is an increase (and I feel there should be a nominal one in order to raise a few additional dollars), and we don't even know if there will be one or how much it would be, so why worry about it?

Sure, it doesn't mean that Siena's overall home schedule is better.  But there is no doubt their OOC schedule is much better. 

We should be scheduling that good.  The home schedule OOC has been horrible.  If you're going to raise the cost of tickets you need to add better games.  You can't simply say that the team will look better when they play games on TV.

Fans deserve some good games at home.

Edited by dutchcountry7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Sure, it doesn't mean that Siena's overall home schedule is better.  But there is no doubt their OOC schedule is much better. 

We should be scheduling that good.  The home schedule OOC has been horrible.  If you're going to raise the cost of tickets you need to add better games.  You can't simply say that the team will look better when they play games on TV.

You guys find something wrong with this team and program every day. I'm sure UB bball is avoiding playing better teams just so that you can complain about it. Most "big" teams are just begging to come to the AA so that they can get beat by a team who has bad "metrics". 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

You guys find something wrong with this team and program every day. I'm sure UB bball is avoiding playing better teams just so that you can complain about it. Most "big" teams are just begging to come to the AA so that they can get beat by a team who has bad "metrics". 

Who is saying big team?

Get Harvard.  Get Lehigh.  Get Hofstra.  Get Charleston.  Get Grand Canyon.  Get Utah Valley.  Get Drake.  Get Radford. Get good teams. 

5 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Who is saying big team?

Get Harvard.  Get Lehigh.  Get Hofstra.  Get Charleston.  Get Grand Canyon.  Get Utah Valley.  Get Drake.  Get Radford. Get good teams. 

If those teams were on the schedule when it came out, many on here would surely complain just as you are now. Those teams don't move the needle. Coming in to this year, St. Francis was slated to be the top team in their league, SIU was supposed to be a solid mid-major, heck even WVU was supposed to be a huge ranked team on the road. 

As far as prices go, I don't even think that Canisius is as inexpensive as us and they can't beat their way out of a wet paper bag and the atmosphere there stinks. We've been completely spoiled yet many still complain. Oh well, maybe the boys will win their next 5 games and people on here can complain that they lost in the finals of the tourney or that they didn't win in the tournament by enough points.

• Like 1

My wife and I have center court aisle seats. I remember having gone to Alumni Arena to pick them out and you couldn’t ask for better seats. I think we paid about $325 for this season. That is dirt cheap. Even if the team was bad - which everyone knows was not the case, that is cheap cheap cheap entertainment. Raise the prices by a considerable amount now! Don’t veil the process in secrecy. This should have been decided in January not August or September. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jeseph said:

Let's play Syracuse at home every game but play it at Key Bank (with no rental fees) and make tickets $10. Problem solved!

That probably wouldn't be good, we'd have to pay to park/walk too far away and would have to leave early because there'd be too much traffic getting out of there. Also we'd hear about bad sight-lines because it's a hockey arena, not a basketball one so there'd be too much space between the seats and the floor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

If those teams were on the schedule when it came out, many on here would surely complain just as you are now. Those teams don't move the needle. Coming in to this year, St. Francis was slated to be the top team in their league, SIU was supposed to be a solid mid-major, heck even WVU was supposed to be a huge ranked team on the road. 

You're making excuses here.  No major team is coming in here.  We aren't going to land UConn, VCU, Temple, Xavier, Dayton, Cincinnati or the like.

But we should be getting home games against good teams.  Teams that are potentially top-100 and when they fall short are still good are the teams that we should be scheduling.  That describes SIU. 

The SIU game was huge.  We need more like that.  The Patriot League and the Ivy League are local and their top teams are legit.  Playing Bucknell would be great they are good nearly every year.  The old Niagara coach is doing great at Hofstra.  Get him to come up for a game.

44 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Maybe you can help scheduling those good games against all those teams who won’t play us

You're making excuses here.  No major team is coming in here.  We aren't going to land UConn, VCU, Temple, Xavier, Dayton, Cincinnati or the like.

But we should be getting home games against good teams.  Teams that are potentially top-100 and when they fall short are still good are the teams that we should be scheduling.  That describes SIU. 

The SIU game was huge.  We need more like that.  The Patriot League and the Ivy League are local and their top teams are legit.  Playing Bucknell would be great they are good nearly every year.  The old Niagara coach is doing great at Hofstra.  Get him to come up for a game.

Well, in theory, next year we should have Bona and Canisius at home. Niagara still owes us a home game, since they wussed out on one this year. Those last 2 teams are bad, so we probably shouldn't schedule them then. I'm sure the coaches and admin purposefully try to set up as weak of a home schedule as possible. They watched Edwin Moses win all those 400m hurdle races in a row against sad competition and thought that it was a great idea to emulate it.

37 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Instead of this being about Oats signing on to stay at a substantial raise, people begin talking about what the buy out is and who would be willing to pay it.  Oats said that he daughter is going into high school and he does not want to move now.  That is a huge factor for coaches with young children.

That is why Allen Greene left his family behind when he first went to Auburn.  That is why Mark Alnutt's family is not coming to Buffalo until his children's school year is over because his son was going to be a senior in high school.  That was part of the reason why Turner Gill left, his daughter was at Kansas.

There is always more to why a coach leaves or stays in the background.  Take Coach Oats at his word and be happy with it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Well, in theory, next year we should have Bona and Canisius at home. Niagara still owes us a home game, since they wussed out on one this year. Those last 2 teams are bad, so we probably shouldn't schedule them then. I'm sure the coaches and admin purposefully try to set up as weak of a home schedule as possible. They watched Edwin Moses win all those 400m hurdle races in a row against sad competition and thought that it was a great idea to emulate it.

I get your wise cracks but the schedule needs more home games and better home games if you want fans to pack it in. 

You don't have to have big names, you just need good teams that give good games.  In the past the coaches have wanted to go on the road to play big names and make a name for Buffalo.  Well now people know about Buffalo and the community turns out.  Give the community something to see.  No one wants to see blowouts and go three weeks between home games.

• Like 1

Just now, dutchcountry7 said:

They will play.  You just have to pay them to come. 

Is that all? People on here are already complaining about the possibility of an increase in ticket price, yet all we have to do is pay teams to come in. I must be reading that incorrectly.

Okay, I've got it. We want to pay for "good" teams to play at the AA, without an increase in ticket price, preferred parking and quick exit from the arena for all, while continuing to make sure that we pay for our top-notch coaching staff and try to improve our facilities to meet their needs. Now why didn't administration think that all up on their own?

• Like 2

In the past the coaches have wanted to go on the road to play big names and make a name for Buffalo. Well now people know about Buffalo and the community turns out.  Give the community something to see. No one wants to see blowouts and go three weeks between home games.

So it does work?