Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

American Athletic Media Deal

bull_trojan

7 million a year.

No grant of rights

Most games on ESPN+ 

Seems like they traded ESPN+ for majority of football on Saturday.

Some football and basketball on ESPN, ESPN2 & ESPNU and they can do a separate deal with CBS for some Basketball games.

My take...lower than I thought, probably because of that grant of rights. Yet, still high enough to want in...not sure if additional teams would dilute the pot, or if ESPN would pay more to keep each team at 7 million...

Football Championship - Host site top seed.
Pro: we'd have a shot at hosting.
Con: Not Neutral, and you can't plan your travel in advance (although you really can't anyway if you're waiting on UB to clinch) 

Men's Basketball Championship - Fort Worth, TX.
Pro: Southwest hub. Maybe more accessible for NYCers, might be more convenient for students on spring break
Cons: far away, no last minute trips, not drive able

Women's Basketball Championship - Mohegan Sun
Pro: Close to NYC
Cons: Not combined with the men, UConn home court advantage

Those three are pretty good reasons for me to be against going to the American...but we'd have to sell our Men's Basketball season ticket for $1,178/seat to make the revenue AAC teams are going to get from this TV deal... and the level of competition would go up...I don't know... 

As brook said extremely soul selling long.

no protection...but it seems the negotiation pivoted on a better deal with the grant of rights or worse without.

2024/2025 I think is when all the P5 agreements are up. Every team wants to be ready if they get the call.

I assume after using the G5 to analyze success in driving ESPN+ membership, they’ll offer the P5 a kickback for ESPN+ games and raise the price. Get the SEC on ESPN+, raise the price to $10/month, give the SEC $1 per viewer... ESPN gets more subscribers and more revenue, SEC gets more revenue, G5 gets nothing and fans will pay

which...I guess does open the door for any G5 program that is able to deliver ESPN+ eyeballs, we can’t be doing too shabby in that area

2 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

As brook said extremely soul selling long.

no protection...but it seems the negotiation pivoted on a better deal with the grant of rights or worse without.

2024/2025 I think is when all the P5 agreements are up. Every team wants to be ready if they get the call.

I assume after using the G5 to analyze success in driving ESPN+ membership, they’ll offer the P5 a kickback for ESPN+ games and raise the price. Get the SEC on ESPN+, raise the price to $10/month, give the SEC $1 per viewer... ESPN gets more subscribers and more revenue, SEC gets more revenue, G5 gets nothing and fans will pay

which...I guess does open the door for any G5 program that is able to deliver ESPN+ eyeballs, we can’t be doing too shabby in that area

ESPN will have a lot to learn about ESPN+ over the next month.  How many people will drop it until college football season starts in late August?  How many will drop until college basketball starts again in  November?

Also with ACC Network set to start in August, how many big games will be put onto those type of networks?  I read a rumor some place that both Duke - UNC basketball games will only be available on the new channel.  For those who remember the launch of ESPN2 on of the first games on it was Duke  - UNC when they were ranked first and second in the  nation.  It was done as a play to have customers call their cable providers and tell them to give carriage to ESPN2.

22 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

UConn not happy with the deal.

If they finally go back to the Big East it really opens the door for UB.

but without UConn the AAC is not as attractive for men’s and women’s basketball...

I fully believe they will be back but UConn men’s were pretty awful this year 

We need to get out of the MAC. Not saying we necessarily even deserve it yet but staying in the conference only allows flash in the pan levels of success. Here’s to hoping something opens up. I’m a firm believer in the AAC being our next step. I don’t care about how financially taxing it would be for a while. Travel would be rough but any AAC team would draw more of a crowd to ub stadium or alumni arena than any MAC team 

• Like 1