Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

March Madness Games Thread

xDerekRx

I just looked at Magee’s stats from 3 against the five teams that beat Wofford this season: N Carolina, Oklahoma, Kansas, Mississippi St, and Kentucky. Against those teams, all NCAA tournament teams, Magee was 12 of 60. Twenty percent doesn’t cut it. I feel bad for Wofford and am not blaming their loss today on Magee’s performance. However, there is a difference between the Southern Conference teams’ pedigree and that of many, if not most, teams fortunate enough to play in March Madness. 

Wofford came up just short against a factory. They are to be commended.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, squire17 said:

I just looked at Magee’s stats from 3 against the five teams that beat Wofford this season: N Carolina, Oklahoma, Kansas, Mississippi St, and Kentucky. Against those teams, all NCAA tournament teams, Magee was 12 of 60. Twenty percent doesn’t cut it. I feel bad for Wofford and am not blaming their loss today on Magee’s performance. However, there is a difference between the Southern Conference teams’ pedigree and that of many, if not most, teams fortunate enough to play in March Madness. 

Well said. He just had too many guys in his face. It looked like he didn’t get off his normal release which is deadly when he does today 

Some random other tournament notes:

- Toledo lost by 14 to Xavier in the first round of the NIT

- Kent lost by 10 to LA Monroe in the first round of the CIT

- CMU lost 100-86 to Depaul in the first round of the of the CBI

So sadly 0-3 for the MAC across the other 3 tournies.

- West Virginia won their opening round CBI game. Oddly I find myself interested in seeing them win that tournament. I just kinda like that Huggins took the invite at all for his players. The finals of the CBI are also best of 3 which is cool. Biggest name school left other than WVU would be Depaul

- And if you wanna go even further, the Womens NIT had a bunch of MAC schools. Kent St, Ohio and Toledo all won their first round games.

Like you Derek rooting for Huggy Bear. He cut out the cancer from his team even the players given the heave ho were extremely talented. And their team improved drastically as a result. Just goes to show how important it is To have such kid team chemistry and players who do not think the ball has to be in their hands all the time as a way to get to the NBA, a culture Nate has exorcised from the Hurley days.   

• Thanks 1

Disappointing tournament for the mid-majors. Several first round upsets and some schools getting their first ever tournament wins which is nice. But in a year where several spent time in the Top 25, including us and Nevada who were highly ranked most of the season, to end up with nothing but major conference schools and Gonzaga in the Sweet 16? Not good.

Edited by MDBullsfan89

On 3/24/2019 at 10:54 PM, admin said:

I was thoroughly impressed by UCF. They have some athletes. One bad bounce. 

UCFs basketball and football programs have just continued to grow. I think they've slowly gotten into the minds of college fans the last few years (especially football). Not a household P5 type name yet but it could become that.

Its also good for the reputation of the current AAC

On 3/24/2019 at 8:17 AM, UB85 said:

Like you Derek rooting for Huggy Bear.  

And in a bit of a shocker Id say, West Virginia loses to Coastal Carolina 109-91 so their little run ends. Coastal was only 17-16 coming in, but 109 points in 40 minutes, wonder if they are generally a run and gun team. Good on them but kinda liked the good vibes WVU was having. Thought they were going to win this thing. And was at least hoping to watching them in the best of 3 final on ESPNU against maybe Depaul. Would have been interesting.

CBI Final Four - Depaul vs. Coastal , LMU vs. South Florida

1 hour ago, xDerekRx said:

UCFs basketball and football programs have just continued to grow. I think they've slowly gotten into the minds of college fans the last few years (especially football). Not a household P5 type name yet but it could become that.

Its also good for the reputation of the current AAC

While I like the Gonzaga of the East comparison for basketball we all have to remember that football leads the way. And bc of that the UCF model is thee one we need to emulate. They, for a mid major, have both basketball and football clicking and earning national attention. 

14 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

While I like the Gonzaga of the East comparison for basketball we all have to remember that football leads the way. And bc of that the UCF model is thee one we need to emulate. They, for a mid major, have both basketball and football clicking and earning national attention. 

Well if football is leading the way we're in trouble as hoops has far outclassed its football counterpart. We're going to have a whole lot more trouble building a consistent winning football program due to the numbers involved from players, coaches, expenses and such.

3 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Well if football is leading the way we're in trouble as hoops has far outclassed its football counterpart. We're going to have a whole lot more trouble building a consistent winning football program due to the numbers involved from players, coaches, expenses and such.

I agree. UB is a basketball school. But we do have football and in college sports football is king. Football moves the needle. We all want to leave the MAC but in order to do that football must lead the way.

3 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I agree. UB is a basketball school. But we do have football and in college sports football is king. Football moves the needle. We all want to leave the MAC but in order to do that football must lead the way.

Football is king but I am not sure that is accurate at UB. It is harder in football at the MAC level because of scheduling and non conference scheduling. The only way I can see football becoming king is if we do what the basketball teams have done. We would have to be the top team in the MAC for 4/5 years to even get the fan support and national attention that would be needed. Is UB making money with the football program and is it drawing some of the top quality players at this level? As we have seen in basketball winning at a very high level is what draws the better players. Our family will continue to support the football team along with other sports at UB. Go Bulls!!!!

On 3/23/2019 at 5:25 PM, squire17 said:

Do agree. Wofford is to be commended and put up a good fight. A total difference between the Southern Conference and teams they are playing in the tourney. The Wofford game was different than the UB game in that other players stepped up when Magee had an off game. That’s what is so great about basketball that you never know from one game to the next who is going to go off the charts shooting the ball and who is going to struggle. Go Bulls!!!!!

3 minutes ago, John said:

Football is king but I am not sure that is accurate at UB. 

When I said it’s king I meant in the general landscape of college athletics.  That nothing happens in terms of conference realignment unless football approves. An AD isn’t gonna make power moves like that unless football benefits. So basically we can’t do what’s right for basketball bc of football. Look at Boston College...are they really an ACC caliber school? How’d that move turn out for their basketball team. It was all football driven.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

So basically we can’t do what’s right for basketball bc of football. Look at Boston College...are they really an ACC caliber school? How’d that move turn out for their basketball team.

because the old big east was so much easier for basketball?  eh?  the move to the acc was not bad for BC basketball - they were ranked at season highs of 6, 14, and 17 in 3 of 5 years after the move.  they kind of fell apart after al skinner was fired though - they're stuck with a former mac coach now.  ;D

1 hour ago, ed said:

because the old big east was so much easier for basketball?  eh?  the move to the acc was not bad for BC basketball - they were ranked at season highs of 6, 14, and 17 in 3 of 5 years after the move.  they kind of fell apart after al skinner was fired though - they're stuck with a former mac coach now.  ;D

Ok bc you’re poking me...BCs best finish to a season since joining the acc was 28-8. Their very first season in the acc. So that stuff about rankings is meaningless if oh let’s say they were ranked in December but finished the season 21-13.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/boston-college/

I’m sure they would’ve had better success had they stayed in the current big east with all the other catholic schools. My point is BCs move was football driven. Relating that to UB, any move we make must make sense for football first before all the other sports. Despite our basketball programs having much more success and notoriety than the football program.

Edited by DooleyBull06

57 minutes ago, ed said:

I’m amazed Christian hasn’t been fired yet. He’s 18 - 72 in the ACC over the past 5 years!