Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

(6) #15 UB vs (3) #9 Texas Tech - NCAA Second Round (3/24 6:10 EST)

Kevin

Just sucks it ends this way. A complete melt down from top to bottom. At least last year it was a game until about the 10 minute mark before Kentucky ran away. 

I just didn’t understand the game plan of forcing drives and forcing shots. TT was allowing us to drive then surrounding the driver with 3 long bodies...at that  point we should’ve kicked the ball out and swung it around the perimeter to the open shooter. Like we’ve done all season...instead tonight we forced up shots. I don’t get it. Why was that the game plan and why wasn’t it abandoned quickly. 

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 1

Three point shooting was not a consistent strength of the Bulls despite a 32 - 3 record going into today’s game. Today, against a top defense, it utterly failed. In fact, all the wheels came off the bus. In a way it’s better than losing a close one where a single Bull blew an assignment, missed a gimme, or threw the ball away. They won as a team all year (or longer) long. They lost as a team today. What a great group of young men! Where do I sign to get more of this?? What a great team! What great coaching staff! Go Bulls!!

Edited by squire17
  • Like 1

I'm all for baning these two "Bulls fans"

Gotta love the fair weather fans that love to support when you're doing well and then pull a "told you so" when they lose.

I really think there should be at least some decorum in our message board.

I'm critical, but by no means less proud of what our guys have done.

Didn't get to see the game today...was in flight the entire time.

I just asked my son what happened.  He said "bad UB offense and good TTU defense".   In reading this thread, that seems to be a reasonable distillation of what happened.

When the brackets came out, I hated this matchup

TTU had a very strong year.  I wish we would have made it a better game, but that did not happen.  Oh well.  Sometimes you are the windshield and that was our fate tonight.

But it was an amazing, fantastic year.  I am proud of both WBB and MBB.  I have never been prouder to be a Bulls fan.

Go Bulls!

• Like 1

I'm so tired of some of you "fans". With some of your comments, you show your lack of knowledge of sports and show that you've never put on a uniform in your life outside of tee-ball. When a team played as well as these guys did all year, and people still find fault, those who do are clearly morons. They went 32-4, a nearly 90% winning percentage, yet it's not good enough for some on here. In a single game, the best team doesn't always win, nor does the better team always play the best. The difference between many D-1 teams in the MAC is not 90%-10%, yet UB went 19-2 in the MAC, which still wasn't good enough according to some. It's irresponsible for anyone to think that UB should expect to win 32 games in a season or even 19 games in the MAC. How many teams in the whole country do either of those? Out of 353, what, a couple each year? Those numbers count both the "big" leagues and the "bad" leagues, which several of you on here consider the MAC a "bad" one, even though it's rated in the top third to quarter of the entire NCAA. In the end, it was a great season, and if it wasn't good enough for you, just leave and never return. Additionally, if you were someone who can't appreciate this season, or didn't enjoy every moment of it, you lost out big time, because it was one heck of a ride.

• Like 2

As I drove home, I looked back at the season as a whole (instead of just today), and I refuse to be bitter about it.  We had too much fun.  So much to be proud of, so much to feel good about. The ride was going to end at some point though.

Today however - you remember all those games this year when we would gripe about some things at halftime and then catch ourselves, "but they're up 12."  Hey, the foul shooting was bad, or the three's weren't dropping, or they laid off during some stretches, but whatever, they ended up winning.  At some point those things were going to catch up to them, and that day was today.  Tons of credit to Texas Tech, they outplayed, outcoached, outworked UB.  They were prepared, they knew how to defend the Bulls, they frustrated our scorers, they crashed the boards.  This was the one time all year that I thought I saw some dejection and defeat in the faces of these Bulls.  I liked how they weathered the early storm and came back, but the could not put together enough plays to keep it a game.  The Bulls had shots that were open, they missed too many of them.

Perkins - stepped up today in a game that needed it. 
CJ - plenty of garbage time buckets but was invisible most of the time before that
Harris - wasn't afraid to shoot, but TT didn't let him drive the lane
Jordan - knocked down a couple three's
Graves - invisible like CJ most of the first 3/4 of the game

Texas Tech - their rebounding was killing the Bulls.  Not just second chance points - it kept the Bulls from hitting them up the floor quickly in transition.  UB destroyed a taller Arizona State team on the boards on Friday, but Texas Tech had the height AND outworked and out-positioned them tonight.  Everyone, this Red Raider team is a very good team.  They're a 3 seed.  I didn't like how this went down today but I'm not ashamed at losing to a better team.

Thank you Bulls for representing the school and the community so well.  We all had so much fun.  I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

As I drove home, I looked back at the season as a whole (instead of just today), and I refuse to be bitter about it.  We had too much fun.  So much to be proud of, so much to feel good about. The ride was going to end at some point though.

Today however - you remember all those games this year when we would gripe about some things at halftime and then catch ourselves, "but they're up 12."  Hey, the foul shooting was bad, or the three's weren't dropping, or they laid off during some stretches, but whatever, they ended up winning.  At some point those things were going to catch up to them, and that day was today.  Tons of credit to Texas Tech, they outplayed, outcoached, outworked UB.  They were prepared, they knew how to defend the Bulls, they frustrated our scorers, they crashed the boards.  This was the one time all year that I thought I saw some dejection and defeat in the faces of these Bulls.  I liked how they weathered the early storm and came back, but the could not put together enough plays to keep it a game.  The Bulls had shots that were open, they missed too many of them.

Perkins - stepped up today in a game that needed it. 
CJ - plenty of garbage time buckets but was invisible most of the time before that
Harris - wasn't afraid to shoot, but TT didn't let him drive the lane
Jordan - knocked down a couple three's
Graves - invisible like CJ most of the first 3/4 of the game

Texas Tech - their rebounding was killing the Bulls.  Not just second chance points - it kept the Bulls from hitting them up the floor quickly in transition.  UB destroyed a taller Arizona State team on the boards on Friday, but Texas Tech had the height AND outworked and out-positioned them tonight.  Everyone, this Red Raider team is a very good team.  They're a 3 seed.  I didn't like how this went down today but I'm not ashamed at losing to a better team.

Thank you Bulls for representing the school and the community so well.  We all had so much fun.  I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next year.

Well said. Much better than a certain knucklehead on this board. Thanks for the excellent commentary all season long. Always enjoyed reading your posts. 

Edited by UB85
  • Thanks 1

I’m upset about the game. We shot like crap and got worked on the boards, our guards looked timid and they got us out of our ball movement.

I’m also over it. We just went 32-4 this program is on the national stage and hopefully Oats and Co. Stick around to keep this thing rolling. 

• Like 1

And we would all be remiss to not congratulate Texas Tech. First time I saw them play this year. They’re outstanding. I wish them well going forward. They are the better team. They kept giving us body blows that wore our guys down as well as their will to fight. 

With that said I salute each and everyone of our guys and coaching staff. I would not trade them for TT or any team in the country. Well done boys! You made us all proud. We’ll miss our fine super seniors but will never forget what they did for the UB and Buffalo community. Just outstanding!! And what a strong foundation they’ve left. 

We’ll be following your careers as you move on and wish each of you the best. THANK YOU!!

Edited by UB85
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, UB05 said:

Gtfo. Was such an amazing season.

Don’t tell me to GTFO. I’ve been a fan of this team since I was born 22 years ago. I’ve seen great seasons and horrible seasons. And that “embarrassing” was in regards to the officiating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubmae86 said:

I'm all for baning these two "Bulls fans"

Gotta love the fair weather fans that love to support when you're doing well and then pull a "told you so" when they lose.

I really think there should be at least some decorum in our message board.

I'm critical, but by no means less proud of what our guys have done.

I’m not a fair weather fan if that was directed towards me. I’ve been going to their games since I’ve been born. The embarrassing was in regards to TT being in the double bonus practically 5 minutes into the 2nd half.

• Like 1

I was at UB from 80-84 The biggest win we had was a D3 win against Buff State, they were ranked # 1 in D3 at the time, the first year Alumni Arena opened in about 83/84.  This whole sports year was a dream.  Bowl game in Football,  NCAA tournament win in both Men's and Women's basketball.  Moving up in sports competition. Coach Oat and Coach Legette-Jack are both big time.  Can both basketball teams go at least 25 and 9 can the football team be bowl eligible.  This year was a dream to watch the men play and be in the top 25 all year. This game sucked but GO UB,  GO BULL

UB you Bet.

Edited by CheerUB80/84
added info
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

Dude, you should leave this board. I wish you'd take your continuous negative attitudes of this team and program on a 1-way trip.

lol, I can’t win. I get accused by the local media for being a Pom-Pom waver and by you as too negative. Have you read or listened to any of my stuff? If not, I’d appreciate you not commenting on my style of fanhood or trying to “kick out” one of the most active members of this board. That’s middle school of you to want someone to leave because they have a different opinion. 

I plan to stay credentialed for this team, I’m sorry if you don’t like my opinions, but many do. The team has told me to my face they like the coverage I give to the program. I’ve personally turned 100s on to this program over the last few years. 

Message boards are here for our live thoughts and don’t need your approval or audits before posting.

• Like 1

This was a magical season - one that will be hard, if not impossible to forget. Part of it was watching a senior laden team so selflessly commit itself to doing everything within its power to bring recognition to itself and the University. I’m going to miss the seniors, and wish all of them luck in their future endeavors. They have set the bar for all the future Bulls.

• Like 2

Way too early prediction but what are the chances we start next season ranked in the top 25? Hear me out, Oats stays, we get Hawkins to start along with the return of Jordan and Graves. Add Johnson and Allen to the starting lineup. That’s a solid starting 5. Plus Williams and Rojas off the bench. Contenders again. Thoughts?