Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Big Ten every year

admin

I just realized that we have a big ten team on our schedule every year going forward. The trend started last year with us playing Minnesota. 

So we didn’t join the Big Ten but it looks like we have set the expectation to compete at that level by Danny White and Lance Leipold. I suspect Alnutt will keep the same philosophy or take us to the next level.

2017 - Minnesota (White)

2018 - Rutgers (White) $900k

2019 - Penn State (Greene)

2020 - Ohio State (Alnutt)

2021 - Nebraska (Greene)

2022 - Maryland (Alnutt)

2023 - Wisconsin (Alnutt)

2024 - only 1 game scheduled. SEC team Mizzou (Alnutt)

Or because the Big Ten actually looks to play the MAC schools because the MAC schools are in the Big Ten Network footprint. And these less high profile games are the ones that get picked up by the Big Ten Network.

They would much rather play Buffalo and have another 50k TV viewers (making money for the BTN from advertisers) than play New Mexico and have no extra TV viewers because no one in New Mexico has the network.

Seriously, I don't get the constant love affair with Danny White.  The Big Ten has been pushing for more MAC games since the launch of the BTN.  They come calling to the MAC schools. 

Want to praise scheduling?  Compare it to other MAC programs which are getting home games from P5 schools.

These are the MAC schools hosting home games against P5s the last two years:

• Akron - Iowa State
  • Bowling Green - Maryland
  • CMU - Kansas
  • NIU - Boston College
  • NIU - Utah
  • Toledo - Miami (Florida)
  • Ohio - Kansas
  • WMU - Syracuse
  • Like 1

I agree with dutchcountry7. I think it's more the fact that the Big 10 and MAC have the same footprints. I'm sure if you looked traditionally, the Michigans, Michigan States and Ohio States have regularly played the MAC schools in their state. I'm sure if you look at the conferences that UB have played the most since joining the MAC, the Big East/American would be the most played conference and the Big 10 would be the second. It just makes sense geographically to play those teams more often than your San Diego States etc.

Scheduling goal should be one P5 at home every 2-3 years or so, 2 P5 games a year total. One FCS home game every year, and then one G5 every year, typically on 1 and 1 contracts.  Obviously with a focus on NY, NJ and Midwest opponents.  Only way into that access bowl game (the super bowl for any G5 team) on New Years Day is a tough schedule.  Just scheduling for bowl eligibility is a fools errand.

4 hours ago, RochBull said:

I agree with dutchcountry7. I think it's more the fact that the Big 10 and MAC have the same footprints. I'm sure if you looked traditionally, the Michigans, Michigan States and Ohio States have regularly played the MAC schools in their state. I'm sure if you look at the conferences that UB have played the most since joining the MAC, the Big East/American would be the most played conference and the Big 10 would be the second. It just makes sense geographically to play those teams more often than your San Diego States etc.

Quick looks since 2006 (based on today's conference affiliation).

American 13 (6 home)
ACC 7 (2 home)
B1G 7 (0 home)
Army 5 (3 home)
Big XII 4 (2 home)
SEC 4 (all away)

Gotta fix that stadium before we start inviting real teams to play...

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:04 AM, promotherobot said:

...or play them at New Era.

Why do you think small?

Schools with an on campus stadium do better of building a culture that brings students, alumni, and the community together.  Student attendance is low for off campus stadiums.   UB needs to play games on campus.

Added the ADs who setup the game based on the year the announcements were made.

Impressed with Alnutt.  Looks like he's been busy.  Nice job.  So correction on my initial post.  It wasn't White, it was a combination of ADs.  Surprisingly mostly Alnutt.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 7:51 AM, admin said:

I just realized that we have a big ten team on our schedule every year going forward. The trend started last year with us playing Minnesota. 

So we didn’t join the Big Ten but it looks like we have set the expectation to compete at that level by Danny White and Lance Leipold. I suspect Alnutt will keep the same philosophy or take us to the next level.

2017 - Minnesota (White)

2018 - Rutgers (White) $900k

2019 - Penn State (Greene)

2020 - Ohio State (Alnutt) $1.8M and KANSAS STATE (Greene) $900k

2021 - Nebraska (Greene)

2022 - Maryland (Alnutt)

2023 - Wisconsin (Alnutt)

2024 - only 1 game scheduled. SEC team Mizzou (Alnutt) $1.5M

Since you added the ADs and the Guarantee Fee for the Rutgers Game, I thought I would add the other Guarantees I know.

7 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Why do you think small?

Schools with an on campus stadium do better of building a culture that brings students, alumni, and the community together.  Student attendance is low for off campus stadiums.   UB needs to play games on campus.

Sure, if money were no object. Build a friggin' Taj Mahal on campus. But we all know that funds are tight and the locals who got their panties in a wad over #NYBI are not buying tickets now that the school went back to "BUFFALO."

The reason I suggest UB play at least one game a year at NEF is because that's the venue WNY football fans are used to going to, not UB Stadium. UB's last game at what was then Ralph Wilson Stadium drew 26K, which is the Bulls third largest home crowd. (FYI, the largest crowd at UB stadium, 29K, was for a Syracuse game and the place was 90% Orange fans.)

Play at NEF on weekends when school is out anyway, like Thanksgiving. Get the Bills to offer an inexpensive ticket add-on to Bills season ticket holders. I'll bet you'd get 40K or more. This season is raising awareness each week. It's a real shame they couldn't play BGSU at home at NEF at the end of the year.

Edited by promotherobot

You act like the NFL facility isn't costly.  An extra 10k in attendance doesn't cover the bill and you're getting excited about there being 5k more fans the last time they were there?  Also, the novelty of an NFL stadium wears off with added use.  Not to mention the fact that it isn't close to the campus. 

Get the Bills to do something?  Why would the Bills do that?  The Bulls football program is a competitor to the Bills.  They aren't going to subsidize their competition.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2018 at 8:54 AM, dutchcountry7 said:

You act like the NFL facility isn't costly.  An extra 10k in attendance doesn't cover the bill and you're getting excited about there being 5k more fans the last time they were there?  Also, the novelty of an NFL stadium wears off with added use.  Not to mention the fact that it isn't close to the campus. 

Get the Bills to do something?  Why would the Bills do that?  The Bulls football program is a competitor to the Bills.  They aren't going to subsidize their competition.  

The last UB game at the Ralph, the Bills donated the stadium but not the cost of snow removal. That screwed up UB. Next time schedule a game earlier.

• 2 years later...

The B1G Should trade Maryland to the ACC for Pittburgh.

Then trade Rutgers to the Big 12 for Iowa State.

Then expand with Missouri & Buffalo which would make 16 schools.

The B1G could split into 4 quads or leagues of 4 schools apiece with hardwood names like the following:

CHERRY - Buffalo, Ohio State,    Penn State, Pittburgh

OAKEN - Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue

MAPLE - Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin

WALNUT - Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, Nebraska

All 16 schools would fit the footprint of 11 States, along with B1G culture of Midwestern Football.

The B1G could be nicknamed "The Arbor League" like The Ivy League, along with the Great Lakes Conference by having all 5 Great Lakes in its footprint. 

Maryland & Rutgers just does not fit in the B1G. It was a mistake.

On 9/20/2018 at 4:37 PM, bull_trojan said:

Quick looks since 2006 (based on today's conference affiliation).

American 13 (6 home)
ACC 7 (2 home)
B1G 7 (0 home)
Army 5 (3 home)
Big XII 4 (2 home)
SEC 4 (all away)

Gotta fix that stadium before we start inviting real teams to play...

Or play it at Bills Stadium.

4 hours ago, Dutch1257 said:

The B1G Should trade Maryland to the ACC for Pittburgh.

Then trade Rutgers to the Big 12 for Iowa State.

Then expand with Missouri & Buffalo which would make 16 schools.

The B1G could split into 4 quads or leagues of 4 schools apiece with hardwood names like the following:

CHERRY - Buffalo, Ohio State,    Penn State, Pittburgh

OAKEN - Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue

MAPLE - Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin

WALNUT - Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri, Nebraska

All 16 schools would fit the footprint of 11 States, along with B1G culture of Midwestern Football.

The B1G could be nicknamed "The Arbor League" like The Ivy League, along with the Great Lakes Conference by having all 5 Great Lakes in its footprint. 

Maryland & Rutgers just does not fit in the B1G. It was a mistake.

I've heard the Big Ten would like to lose Nebraska, Rutgers and Maryland.