Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Round of 32 Ceiling

ubmae86

I'm putting this up to remember that there was a time where we couldn't get past the round of 32. It was rough for us in the moment and felt like it was insurmountable, but we will prevail. It may take a few more years and that means a few more disappointing games, but we will get through.

Obviously this is painful. Obviously we all thought this was a second weekend caliber team. Obviously this wasn’t our best effort on the floor and coaching. It may be some time before we get another group of seniors like this group. We have talent returning and coming in next year but slice it however you want there will be a drop off next season. Next season comes down to 3 days in March. And next season we go back to being just another mid major and potential Cinderella. This season was a fun ride. Just wish it wouldn’t have ended with a lackluster 20 point blow out. 

It wasn’t his best game plan today but as long as Nate is here we will bust through someday.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

I'm putting this up to remember that there was a time where we couldn't get past the round of 32. It was rough for us in the moment and felt like it was insurmountable, but we will prevail. It may take a few more years and that means a few more disappointing games, but we will get through.

They will be back next year. Hopefully some of those who are negative now and always just go away. This team has been nothing but a joy all year. One less than stellar performance tonight doesn't change that. The metrics say that this team is excellent,  even though some people on here who never played a sport in their life, disagree. 32 wins by Buffalo, something most schools in ALL of the ncaa has never reached. Job well done boys, job well done.

• Like 1

It’s tough when after the new year we only play MAC teams. They aren’t good enough to prepare us for the teams in the tournament.  The win over a weak Hurley led Pac12 team was great but if we want to move forward we need the team to be challenged in the second half of the season. 

We all knew they could lose after taking loses in the MAC and they had the talent to win more games in the tournament.  

Tough one tonight. Just out classed.

3 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

It’s tough when after the new year we only play MAC teams. They aren’t good enough to prepare us for the teams in the tournament.  The win over a weak Hurley led Pac12 team was great but if we want to move forward we need the team to be challenged in the second half of the season. 

We all knew they could lose after taking loses in the MAC and they had the talent to win more games in the tournament.  

Tough one tonight. Just out classed.

Maybe UB should try to schedule better opponents at home. You should try suggesting that to the coaches or maybe write something about it on this board. 

It’s ashame we end our season this way is it’s not a good representation of how remarkable and magical this team was. We have a ways to go, but not to long ago we can only dream of being this good. Congrats men and women on your wonderful season. Can’t wait to watch ya get even better. It will happen.

Was hoping we would push them like UCF pushed Duke. Unfortunately the Bulls didn’t give TT or their fans much to worry about tonight.  

The narrative will be, they were a nice little MAC team... now go away and let the big boys play. But really the Bulls are a very good team and will hang with anyone on most nights.  This specific matchup turned out to be a bad one.

looking forward to next season! 

2 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Maybe UB should try to schedule better opponents at home. You should try suggesting that to the coaches or maybe write something about it on this board. 

Give it a rest bro. It's one thing for people to be frustrated with the team - we're here to talk about them after all - but your constant complaining about how other fans don't live up to your standards of fandom is ridiculous. 

6 hours ago, ed said:

Give it a rest bro. It's one thing for people to be frustrated with the team - we're here to talk about them after all - but your constant complaining about how other fans don't live up to your standards of fandom is ridiculous. 

Sorry. I won't post ever again.  My bad. It was okay that the other guy talked about the schedule not being good enough time and time again, or for the constant criticism of a 32 win team, but not okay when I call them out on it.

44 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Sorry. I won't post ever again.  My bad. It was okay that the other guy talked about the schedule not being good enough time and time again, or for the constant criticism of a 32 win team, but not okay when I call them out on it.

It isn’t that.  Just the presumption that UB is not trying to get teams to come here.  Do you think we are turning down the best possible opponents for home games?  For what? To protect our home winning streak?  That is just silly.  Sure, there maybe a dollar sign that could bring in a blue blood to UB.  We could maybe afford it if that is our only OOC home game....

This is really irrelevant to the title, but also nice reminder. Mark Few went to the sweet 16 four times in 15 years. Took him 15 years to get past that hump and made it to the elite 8 and then 2 years after that went to the title game and lost. 

I guess if we are patient enough, better things to come than the second round!

(I'm really just trying to distill hope in everyone)

• Like 4

14 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Drama much? 

They're talking about the team. You're bitching about them. Constantly. In multiple threads. And not just the schedule, but how people feel about the play, fans leaving early, etc, etc. 

Edited by ed

9 hours ago, umassfan said:

First of all congratulations on your repeat to the NCAA and winning a game both years.

A ceiling, once you break through can become a floor. Granted hard to maintain but think playing into the second weekend should always be a goal.

Would love to see UMass and UB in the same conference.