Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

This is a time to celebrate! 2018-19 absolutely HISTORIC

UB85

Let’s celebrate and give thanks for two incredible teams and coaches which will go down in the record books of UB athletic history. 

Women after losing tons of talent and leadership win the MAC tournament over their nemesis and tremendous foe CMU to get to championship where they beat an excellent Ohio team. They overcame adversity with the suspension of Summer. They displayed grit against Rutgers and then fought UCONN for 40 minutes. As FLJ said for UCONN to get another NCAA title they had to go through BUFFALO! And she was not kidding. What a valiant effort! They put Buffalo women’s basketball on the map and earned the respect of everyone in women’s college basketball. 

Thank you Coach Jack! You are awesome!

Thank you  to the best individual basketball player to ever don a UB women’s basketball jersey. You gave thrills to many and made UB women’s basketball a must see for so many at UB and in the WNY community. We wish you well in your professional basketball journey and broadcasting career!

The men! 32 f’ing wins! 32-4! 16-2 MAC regular season wins! Another MAC title! Another NCAA tournament appearance! Four in five years! UB men’s basketball like the the women’s team is known and respected nationally! Beating WVU! Beating  SU in dome! Winning Belfast tourney! CJ dropping 43 in WVU! Nationally ranked first time ever! Ranked 19 consecutive weeks! Ranked as high as #14! Will likely be ranked at seasons end! Nate one of 11 nominees for NABC Coach of the Year! Character, class and integrity coursing through the program from coaches to players. Nate’s extension made possible by generous donors! 

Thank you all for being fantastic ambassadors for UB, Buffalo and WNY! 

• Like 8

I echo all that was said above. As an alum I’m so proud of both programs and grateful for this run. Who knows what the future holds but at least I can say that in my lifetime Buffalo basketball dominated the MAC and won some tournament games. Let’s keep building. The best is yet to come.

• Like 3

This year was fun.  Great to see Alumni get packed out for games and people in town actually talk about the team.

The real test is next year.  If the team is at the top of the MAC then the future will be bright.  The MAC is going to be down next year.  This was a great year for the MAC.  If the team can win the MAC next year then the program has arrived and will be on its way to being the next Gonzaga.

These teams have come so far I'm seemingly such a short time. FLJ and Oats have helped propel UB into the national spotlight and hopefully will continue to do that for years to come. The recruiting has been top notch on both the men's and women's teams even when we didn't have any national notariety. It's all about finding those that fit into the system and isn't always about getting the best players in the country.

Our players play such selfless and team basketball that it's easy to cheer for them, as we've seen all year.

Let's also not forget the men and women behind the scenes that help our players do their very best on and off the court. Tutors, sports medicine personnel, managers, assistant coaches, and all the others I can't even think of. They are just as much responsible for all our success and should not be over looked.

Here's to the many years ahead of UB and hopefully an eventual national title.

3 minutes ago, ubmae86 said:

These teams have come so far I'm seemingly such a short time. FLJ and Oats have helped propel UB into the national spotlight and hopefully will continue to do that for years to come. The recruiting has been top notch on both the men's and women's teams even when we didn't have any national notariety. It's all about finding those that fit into the system and isn't always about getting the best players in the country.

Our players play such selfless and team basketball that it's easy to cheer for them, as we've seen all year.

Let's also not forget the men and women behind the scenes that help our players do their very best on and off the court. Tutors, sports medicine personnel, managers, assistant coaches, and all the others I can't even think of. They are just as much responsible for all our success and should not be over looked.

Here's to the many years ahead of UB and hopefully an eventual national title.

All the comments here are spot on. This has been an incredible last 4/5 years where both teams continued to get better and better and the passionate fans that have supported the teams thru tough years experienced the momentum building. The casual sports fan started to show their interest and joined the ride. The future looks the brightest it has looked in years. Our family also join in to thank all the players, coaches and all the other support people who have made this the best of times. Fans like all of us will be here no matter what the future holds and only hope the casual fans will continue to support our teams. Thanks to all for the memories that will truly last a lifetime. Go Bulls!!! Horn Up!!!! And already looking forward to what next season will bring for all the passionate fans. Go Bulls!!!!

Gonzaga went to the elite 8 as a 10 seed, then the sweet sixteen as a 10 seed, then the sweet sixteen as a 12 seed. They finally broke through with an amazing regular season and earned a 6 seed....and they lost in the first round to 11 seed Wyoming.

It happens. Still proud of our work, and upbeat...for as good as our recruiting has been, we're still wayyyyyy behind nationally, which to me means we are great at developing players. Our national recruiting rank over the past 4 years averaged (247) 115, and yet that team finished the year at #15, so we got our team to perform 100 spots better than they should....

If we end up ranked #75 for the 2019 class, our last 3 classes will have averaged #80...with our development, we could be legitimately top 10. 

The TT game did nothing to change my mind on this team or season. Good teams get beat bad sometimes (Arizona last year against UB...) It was a near perfect year. Unreal season that more or less just sucks that its over.

Overall the best team we have ever had. Such a great group of players. 32 wins, being ranked all year. Beating SYR in SYR, winning the MAC, beating Hurley in the first round of the NCAA... so many awesome things.

I will never forget this year. It checked just about every box I wasn't sure Id ever check 2 decades ago when I first started following the program. But here we are. Some of it still hasn't sunk in fully. I know we have a ton of new fans but a lot of us have been around forever. And if you guys are like me you just can't help but appreciate every second of this year. Seeing what we have seen, coming from what we were for many years. Still can't believe it.

Amazing ride. Literally never a down moment to me. A couple rough patches during the MAC season but I knew it would turn. 

I hope it just keeps pushing this program further , and it will, but I also appreciate how hard this accomplishment is. We could be a great program and never be ranked like this for years. So I will cherish everything about this one and I can't wait til next year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xDerekRx said:

The TT game did nothing to change my mind on this team or season. Good teams get beat bad sometimes (Arizona last year against UB...) It was a near perfect year. Unreal season that more or less just sucks that its over.

Overall the best team we have ever had. Such a great group of players. 32 wins, being ranked all year. Beating SYR in SYR, winning the MAC, beating Hurley in the first round of the NCAA... so many awesome things.

I will never forget this year. It checked just about every box I wasn't sure Id ever check 2 decades ago when I first started following the program. But here we are. Some of it still hasn't sunk in fully. I know we have a ton of new fans but a lot of us have been around forever. And if you guys are like me you just can't help but appreciate every second of this year. Seeing what we have seen, coming from what we were for many years. Still can't believe it.

Amazing ride. Literally never a down moment to me. A couple rough patches during the MAC season but I knew it would turn. 

I hope it just keeps pushing this program further , and it will, but I also appreciate how hard this accomplishment is. We could be a great program and never be ranked like this for years. So I will cherish everything about this one and I can't wait til next year.

Do agree. A year like none ever. So many things have to go right to have a season that was unprecedented. Having other teams have off nights, players in foul trouble, officiating going your way, a team having the mental toughness when things are not going your way, having a deep talented team that when one or two players have off games that others pick up the slack. Just a tremendous season for both the men and women and should be a interesting off season with the changes to both teams next year. Go Bulls!!!!!

Ditto what everyone has said. Of course I was down about the TT game for a while but I was more afraid of us just getting out of the first round again and we did that. Numerous accomplishments all year but honestly the biggest one for me was beating cuse in the dome. You can’t take that one away from us and it still feels great 

• Jeseph unpinned this topic
On 3/27/2019 at 4:43 PM, bull_trojan said:

Lock this thread. Time for celebration is over. PANIC

Actually still time to celebrate for given the incompetence of ADMA who hasn’t said a thing we may never experience anything like it again. The man hasn't said a freaking thing, which gives zero confidence he’s prepared to properly manage the search etc.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, UB85 said:

Actually still time to celebrate for given the incompetence of ADMA who hasn’t said a thing we may never experience anything like it again. The man hasn't said a freaking thing, which gives zero confidence he’s prepared to properly manage the search etc.  

Other than saying there would be national search for replacing coaches who were either fired or left in the past, what statements were made by prior Athletic Directors?  And that statement was made by Alnutt.

http://ubbulls.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/releases/20190327oj0yni

Edited by BrooklynBull

UB fans should be proud of this season.

I admit. I'm jumping on the bandwagon. I've enjoyed watching both teams this season.

I'm a little disappointed that the Football team didn't win the Dollar General Bowl and the Basketball team didn't get to the sweet 16, but I'm still proud of both teams. (I'm not mad at the Basketball team. I'm mad at the selection committee for under seeding them and they ran into Texas Tech way too early)

I hope they keep growing and one or both of them bring a Championship parade to Buffalo.

Also a shout out to the Womens team

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

Other than saying there would be national search for replacing coaches who were either fired or left in the past, what statements were made by prior Athletic Directors?  And that statement was made by Alnutt.

He has been underground. He’s the face of athletics. He should have been out there to address the public other than a terse release. The fact he did not is disappointing. Bad PR imo 

Edited by UB85

4 hours ago, UB85 said:
6 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

He has been underground. He’s the face of athletics. He should have been out there to address the public other than a terse release. The fact he did not is disappointing. Bad PR imo 

What more should/would he have said?

7 hours ago, UB85 said:

I agree with you 1000%.

BB asks "what more should/would he have said"?  How about a sit down interview with TBN for Saturday or Sunday talking about the season and what they are looking for in the next head coach.  Give the fans (all of those who jumped on the bandwagon...and there were a lot...) something to believe in.  We really haven't gone through this at this level yet.  Sure, Hurley left but I think we all knew he was going to leave.  Oats was a love affair and now we are jilted.  The person at UB whose JOB IT IS to be the face of UB athletics has basically said nothing about this to the fans.  He NEEDS to be out there in a public way.  He needs to comment how this is a fantastic job and UB is going in the right direction and we will be stronger in the future.  And he needs to do it over and over again.  That's his job.   But what have we got?  Almost nothing.

Fans are fickle and this is now adversity.  As a fan, donor and alumnus, the AD has handled this adversity poorly.

To compare this, BB, with previous situations is naive, counselor.  You and I (and everyone else) know that things are different now.  The profile has never been higher for UB athletics. I know you want to be supportive of the athletics administration (and I appreciate that), but this (to me) seems like a guy who was not prepared for this situation.  And that's concerning.

2 minutes ago, UB92 said:

I agree with you 1000%.

BB asks "what more should/would he have said"?  How about a sit down interview with TBN for Saturday or Sunday talking about the season and what they are looking for in the next head coach.  Give the fans (all of those who jumped on the bandwagon...and there were a lot...) something to believe in.  We really haven't gone through this at this level yet.  Sure, Hurley left but I think we all knew he was going to leave.  Oats was a love affair and now we are jilted.  The person at UB whose JOB IT IS to be the face of UB athletics has basically said nothing about this to the fans.  He NEEDS to be out there in a public way.  He needs to comment how this is a fantastic job and UB is going in the right direction and we will be stronger in the future.  And he needs to do it over and over again.  That's his job.   But what have we got?  Almost nothing.

Fans are fickle and this is now adversity.  As a fan, donor and alumnus, the AD has handled this adversity poorly.

To compare this, BB, with previous situations is naive, counselor.  You and I (and everyone else) know that things are different now.  The profile has never been higher for UB athletics. I know you want to be supportive of the athletics administration (and I appreciate that), but this (to me) seems like a guy who was not prepared for this situation.  And that's concerning.

Here is exactly what was said by Alnutt:

"[T]he Buffalo coaching position will be extremely attractive and a national search is already underway. It will be conducted as quickly and as thoroughly as possible... These will be our only comments on the search at this time."

I believe that the next word will be the announcement of a press conference.

If you are looking for something similar in the past, when Turner Gill left there was similar silence until the press conference announcing Jeff Quinn as the new head coach.  Same as when Leipold was announced to replace Quinn.

I have no problem with the silence.  Better to conduct the search in silence than to be out in public.  It is more professional.

19 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

If you are looking for something similar in the past, when Turner Gill left there was similar silence until the press conference announcing Jeff Quinn as the new head coach.  Same as when Leipold was announced to replace Quinn.

I have no problem with the silence.  Better to conduct the search in silence than to be out in public.  It is more professional.

Have you ever been critical of a thing that’s happened? If so, it’s time to furnish examples. So far you’re just a bad PR extension of how this has been handled. 

I don’t really care about Jeff Quinn. This team is in a much higher spot than that football team was before shooting back into irrelevance for a while. 

How about one of his assistant coaches is out wearing Alabama appeal while recruiting players? Where’s the comment on that. We need to know if this guy is employed by UB or not. Just about every AD says more than that statement, especially after 5 days. Alabama’s AD held a press conference stating he was the search committee and had Oats (a coach from a different spot in the country) signed in just a few days. 

Did we have a backup plan for Oats leaving this season? It doesn’t seem like it. 

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Have you ever been critical of a thing that’s happened? If so, it’s time to furnish examples. So far you’re just a bad PR extension of how this has been handled. 

I don’t really care about Jeff Quinn. This team is in a much higher spot than that football team was before shooting back into irrelevance for a while. 

How about one of his assistant coaches is out wearing Alabama appeal while recruiting players? Where’s the comment on that. We need to know if this guy is employed by UB or not. Just about every AD says more than that statement, especially after 5 days. Alabama’s AD held a press conference stating he was the search committee and had Oats (a coach from a different spot in the country) signed in just a few days. 

Did we have a backup plan for Oats leaving this season? It doesn’t seem like it. 

Whether or not Hodgson is employed by UB is not definite, although he is still listed on the website.  Most assistant coaches are on one year deals.  The question is when did his contract expire.  Should he be seen in Florida with Oats wearing Alabama gear? No.

It is very possible that he knows he will not get the job and out of respect is not making any comments about his status.  He has basically been silent on Twitter since the Oats signing.  About four likes about Bama.  There have been retweets of tweets pushing him for the head coaching job. He himself has not tweeted since just after the Texas Tech game.

As for a backup plan.  I assume that all programs have a short list of replacements for major positions.  Why would UB want that list leaked?    Also I would think they are doing full investigations of any potential hires to make sure that there are no skeletons in the closet.  You would not want to hire a coach with issues.  Do you want a hire like Michigan made with Rhonda Faehn, where she was let go over her prior ties to Larry Nassar? I do not.

1 minute ago, BrooklynBull said:

It is very possible that he knows he will not get the job and out of respect is not making any comments about his status.  He has basically been silent on Twitter since the Oats signing.  About four likes about Bama.  There have been retweets of tweets pushing him for the head coaching job. He himself has not tweeted since just after the Texas Tech game.

I can tell you with 100% assuredly that this is false. He has not heard from Alnutt and has no interview set-up. He still wants the job.

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

You miss my point, though.  One can have the search in silence yet still be the face of the athletic program at the same time.  He can say generic things about the search in interviews, but he needed to be very visible.  This didn't happen.  That's my point.   Comparing this situation with Jeff Quinn and Liepold is a false equivalency.