Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2019-2020 Roster

Kevin

5 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

Here’s what I realistically think the starting 5 will look like...

1) Davonta Jordan

2) Antwain Johnson

3) Jayvon Graves

4) David Nickleberry

5) LaQuill Hardnett

Bench - 6th man would be Jeenathan Williams then Segu then Skogman/Brock.

Thoughts? I’ll hang up and listen. 

Isn't Graves more of a 2? I think williams starts at the 3  and skogman/hadrnett at the 5 but who knows. I think we have a good roster! 

14 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

1) Davonta Jordan

2) Antwain Johnson

3) Jayvon Graves

4) David Nickleberry

5) LaQuill Hardnett

I think Jeenathan starts this year and dominates. Would imagine Nickelberry gets a lot of minutes off the bench though

I think we will see a 9 man rotation again consisting of the following players in tight games. 

PG) Davonta Jordan/Ronaldo Segu
SG) Jayvon Graves/Antwain Johnson
W) Jeenathan Williams/Gabe Grant
F) David Nickelberry
F) LaQuill Hardnett/David Skogman

This is assuming Mballa is sitting out and Fagan is on the IR for the year. If one of them plays I could see the rotation stretching to 10 players.

Edited by SGBull

1 hour ago, UB05 said:

I think Jeenathan starts this year and dominates. Would imagine Nickelberry gets a lot of minutes off the bench though

Nickleberry's spot is rock solid in the lineup. 

Williams will have to push Hardnett to the bench, which I dont see. 

I think he's the team's 6 man this year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MKBullsfan said:

1) Davonta Jordan

2) Antwain Johnson

3) Jayvon Graves

4) David Nickleberry

5) LaQuill Hardnett

1st 3 seem like pretty close to locks. I'm not sure who I'd pick next, between Jeenathan, Nickelberry, Hardnett, Grant, (Mballa if eligible). I don't know those guys well enough to pick. It's as deep of a team as last year, it would seem, without saying it's as good as last year, as they will have to get used to playing with/for each other. It's crazy that I mentioned 10 guys, none of who is Segu, but he doesn't start in front of those 3 listed at guard, but I'd wager he gets a good deal of time on the floor.

I think Jordan, Johnson, and Graves are pretty locked into starting in the backcourt.

I think Nickelberry gets the 4 spot but maybe Hardnett pushes him. The 5 is the tricky spot.

At the 5 I feel like Mballa is the most physically ready but if he has to sit I'd think Skogman starts. While Bertram isn't anything exciting I don't see how he doesn't get some minutes at the 5 if for nothing else to eat fouls. Hardnett isn't strong enough to deal with true posts and it's tbd how Skogman does there.

Here's how I picture rotational depth charts. Gallion doesn't have a clear path to mins and neither does Fagan regardless of the injury situation. Bertram is probably out of the rotation if Mballa is eligible which puts us at 10. Deeper in season I see Williams getting potentially buried with a redundant skill set to Nickelberry and Hardnett while Grant gets spot mins providing shooting none of the others have.

Primary Ballhandlers: Jordan*, Segu

Secondary Ballhandlers: Graves*, Johnson*

Wings: Nickelberry*, Hardnett, Grant, Williams

Forwards: Mballa* (?), Skogman, Bertram

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out but I like our odds for the 3-peat.

Edited by trueblue32

Bummer for Fagan. I suspect no problem for medical redshirt.

I know he wasn’t a huge name, but he was really productive as a JUCO freshman. For perspective, numbers not dissimilar to JUCO freshman Justin Moss.

Assuming he recovers we are still set for some time to come with athletic, skilled and mobile bigs (Skogman, Mballa, Fagan, Hardnett... wow!).

• Like 1

Jordan, Johnson and Graves def. a lock like everyone said. I think at the 4 Nickleberry gets the nod. 5 spot is tricky, against a smaller lineup Hardnett might get start there but bigger lineup probably Skogman. We are a little thin at the 5 spot in my opinion until we get Mballa. When we match up against bigger teams were gonna be a bit undersized and Bertram is likely to get some bench minutes way we look right now. 

Solid bench also w Williams, Segu, Grant and Hardnett/Skogman. I think Gallion might get some bench minutes too atleast early on. 

This team will definitely have legit shot at 3 peat this year. 

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, SGBull said:

I thought Fagan was going to be out all year. It will be great to have him back. Still hope Brock can come back soon though because Fagan doesn’t have the body type to play C.

Don't need a C if Fagan can have a paint presence and shoot the 3 decent. We're already a good rebounding team without Brock and Fagan so it can't get worse.

24 minutes ago, squire17 said:

Hope Brock will stick around for next year too. He’s a force.

Genuinely curious what you mean by force? We're all rooting for the kid, but objectively has there been a player further from a force in recent memory? I'll take Brian Andre at this point.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Genuinely curious what you mean by force? We're all rooting for the kid, but objectively has there been a player further from a force in recent memory? I'll take Brian Andre at this point.

He has a career total of 41 points and 32 rebounds thru 2 plus seasons!  Sure seems like a force to me

42 minutes ago, MaineBull said:

He has a career total of 41 points and 32 rebounds thru 2 plus seasons!  Sure seems like a force to me

That is the tip of the iceberg. MAC bigs take time to assert their potential. Brock is going to be one of the best big men ever. Especially on defense and rebounding.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, squire17 said:

Hope Brock will stick around for next year too. He’s a force.

Nothing against the guy, seems like a great guy and 100% team oriented, but fact is he’d be doing us a big favor by transferring so we can have another spot open to try and recruit a stud center to go along w Mballa or a Juco that can do damage also. He’s just not going to be the guy that you were hoping for, just too slow to play at this level consistently.