Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Hey Admin, what's up with your obsession?

dutchcountry7

http://ubfan.com/bb/index.php?/search/&q="danny white"&author=admin&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

What are your ties to Danny White?  

In the past day you've posted three times about Danny White and how everything great is because of him and how anything that didn't go well is because people didn't fall in line.

You know we have moved on right?

White is gone.  There is no point to mention him in every single post.  Give it a rest. 

Hey I have no ties to Danny White.

I am just happy that our program is doing well.  I was thinking about how we got here.  Not sure where I said this though -> "everything great is because of him and how anything that didn't go well is because people didn't fall in line.". 

Just trying to give credit where credit is due because some jobs you don't see fruits until years down the line.  Anyway, the Big Ten post and the 4 hires post was just coincidence (timing wise).  It started with me trying to give credit to Leipold. Then I had to give credit to the guy who hired him and realized how the guy hired Oats and Jack.  Won't mention DW much going forward.  From time to time it will come up.  Just like I mention guys like James Starks, Khalil Mack, BO Oliver (one of my favorite UB players), Modie Cox (my personal friend in college) and some random players and coaches.

Anyway, no need to have hard feelings towards any former Bull.  I think all former guys are part of the UB family.  Not sure why DW should be any different.

Interim AD Maher - didn't make us better (but signed Reggie to Canisius, reviving the rivalry!)
Warde - Brought us into the 21st century in Athletics, got us a football championship. GOAT
White - Brought us our Basketball Championships, and despite ambitions and probably family taking him away quickly, he set us up with a foundation for success which he doesn't as much credit as he deserves because people hate the NYBI. ALSO GOAT
Greene - No one likes an Austerity President. His only major hire (correct me if I'm wrong) is our recently departed Softball Coach. I think the UB fan will see his greatest success was not messing anything up, but he'll be loved by the fairweather fans who will see him as the guy who restored Buffalo and built a fieldhouse.
Interim AD Twist - Did what Greene and Warde and White couldn't do, retain a superstar coach. ALSO GOAT
Alnutt - Not sure anyone knows what his vision is. But he seems charismatic and has a genuine nature we haven't seen since Warde. He will get credit for keeping FLJ, and will be more or less defined by his management of Leipold and the Football program come November-December.

Edited by bull_trojan

4 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

You know we have moved on right?

I'm still celebrating the wins and championships his hires brought.  As you can see with his (officially recognized in the NCAA record book) National Champion football team, he doesn't fuck around.  I only wish he was here longer.

14 hours ago, rma said:

I'm still celebrating the wins and championships his hires brought.  As you can see with his (officially recognized in the NCAA record book) National Champion football team, he doesn't fuck around.  I only wish he was here longer.

Yeah, in 2013 when we were in the Famous Idaho Bowl UCF was nothing without Danny White, right?  

Buffalo 2013 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Buffalo_Bulls_football_team#Schedule

UCF 2013 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_UCF_Knights_football_team#Schedule

Amazing how UCF hires White in 2015 and suddenly people think he is the reason they have a good football program. 

White really like to promote himself.  He is always the reason anything goes well, just ask him. 

I have no ill will towards White. He did a very good job while here.  It does get frustrating, however, when you see these high profile athletics people at UB pump up everything about the University, then one day, boom they're gone and on to the next opportunity.   I can't blame them (coaches and AD's), because that's college sports.  

I think Greene's legacy was turning the "New York" logo back to Buffalo.  

46 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

I have no ill will towards White. He did a very good job while here.  It does get frustrating, however, when you see these high profile athletics people at UB pump up everything about the University, then one day, boom they're gone and on to the next opportunity.   I can't blame them (coaches and AD's), because that's college sports.   

I have no problem with people moving on.  

It is just annoying when they keep brining up the past and citing one person as if they were our savior.  I don't believe it.

46 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

I think Greene's legacy was turning the "New York" logo back to Buffalo.   

And for that we are thankful.

The NYBI was horrible.  Not only was it a bust but calling it by it's internal marketing memo name in tweets made no sense.  #NYBI was literally telling people that the marketing department is pushing an initiative to try to get people to start calling the Bulls New York's team.

It was horrible and a failure.  

57 minutes ago, rma said:

Yes, UCF did have success without him.  But let's check in on the state of the program he inherited.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_UCF_Knights_football_team#Schedule

Yikes.

One year doesn't make a program. 

Everyone knew that the program wasn't in as bad a shame as the record makes it seem.  

UCF has been widely regarded as the fastest rising athletic department in the country by many years.  The school is relatively new (built for NASA research) and is now one of the largest schools in the country.  There is a reason UCF went from an 0-11 MAC program in 2004 to getting a Big East invitation only 10 years later and consideration for a spot in the Big 12. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_UCF_Golden_Knights_football_team

6 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

One year doesn't make a program. 

Everyone knew that the program wasn't in as bad a shame as the record makes it seem.  

UCF has been widely regarded as the fastest rising athletic department in the country by many years.  The school is relatively new (built for NASA research) and is now one of the largest schools in the country.  There is a reason UCF went from an 0-11 MAC program in 2004 to getting a Big East invitation only 10 years later and consideration for a spot in the Big 12. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_UCF_Golden_Knights_football_team

Danny White hired Scott Frost December 1, 2015. Scott Frost immediately begins recruiting Hawaii committ McKensie Milton. Frost has a lot of sway in Hawaii as he oversaw the rise of Marcus Mariota. A month later Milton decommits from Hawaii goes to UCF, earns starting job by week 3 and has gone 20-6 as a starter.

No White, no Frost, no Milton, and maybe I'm staring at a "National Championship" trophy instead of ADDW. 

I didn't realize Bucky Gleason had burner accounts on here lol. I'm shocked to see such resentment for Danny White when he was clearly good for our program. The NYBI campaign failed because of y'all not because of White. People love to complain about White and Greene yet they both got better jobs elsewhere so clearly people in industry thought highly of their efforts here, and I'll rate their opinions as more valuable than yours lol.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 11:29 AM, dutchcountry7 said:

I have no problem with people moving on.  

It is just annoying when they keep brining up the past and citing one person as if they were our savior.  I don't believe it.

And for that we are thankful.

The NYBI was horrible.  Not only was it a bust but calling it by it's internal marketing memo name in tweets made no sense.  #NYBI was literally telling people that the marketing department is pushing an initiative to try to get people to start calling the Bulls New York's team.

It was horrible and a failure.  

The failure of #NYBI was the parochial attitude of some local people, led by Bob DiCesare and Bucky Gleason at the Buffalo News. White wanted to grow UB's brand statewide. But the local pity committee was too busy looking for insult. Think small, be small.

We all want the U@Buffalo to grow and be successful. But we fight every attempt at growth because it involves looking outside our fear bubble.

The same locals who bemoaned #NYBI are the same people ignoring the school in it's success. Not buying tickets. Not donating. 

It's pretty narrow thinking to believe that coaches and administrators come here to stay here. UB, as well as about 80-90 other schools, are stepping stones. Hiring good people means they will leave in a few years.

The trick is to play the game to your benefit: Getting fat buyouts, keeping the pipeline filled with strong candidates.

I don't blame White one bit for leaving. It had to be frustrating dealing with the local mentality. But you can't deny that White set the athletic department in it's upward trajectory.

Edited by promotherobot
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, promotherobot said:

The failure of #NYBI was the parochial attitude of some local people, led by Bob DiCesare and Bucky Gleason at the Buffalo News. White wanted to grow UB's brand statewide. But the local pity committee was too busy looking for insult. Think small, be small.

We all want the U@Buffalo to grow and be successful. But we fight every attempt at growth because it involves looking outside our fear bubble.

The same locals who bemoaned #NYBI are the same people ignoring the school in it's success. Not buying tickets. Not donating. 

It's pretty narrow thinking to believe that coaches and administrators come here to stay here. UB, as well as about 80-90 other schools, are stepping stones. Hiring good people means they will leave in a few years.

The trick is to play the game to your benefit: Getting fat buyouts, keeping the pipeline filled with strong candidates.

I don't blame White one bit for leaving. It had to be frustrating dealing with the local mentality. But you can't deny that White set the athletic department in it's upward trajectory.

That is nonsense and is my exact point.  Any time something didn't go well, it was other people's fault.  It was a great idea but other people some how sabotaged it or just weren't smart enough to be convinced to buy in.

There are enough people that know Buffalo is the premier state school in the state.  There are many alums all over the state.  Additionally, the state denied the use of the New York State moniker to rename the school.  The New York designation was never going to be adopted.  But I actually didn't have a problem with the effort.  It was the stupid NYBI which was literally the internal memo name for the marketing campaign.  'Initiative' was in the name!

You can build a big brand without having the state name on your uniform.  Syracuse, Louisville, Miami, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Boise State, and Memphis are all examples of schools that built a brand around a city name.  

If it was a marketing campaign to just draw a connection to New York, it would have been fine.  But it was confusing marketing.  ESPN would say Buffalo and then people would see Uniforms that said New York.  But you couldn't read about New York in the game results in the paper and if you googled New York you wouldn't see Buffalo returned in your search.  You actually were directed to NYU.

Interestingly, White must have learned his lesson because now UCF is marketed as Orlando's hometown team.

Buffalo still can be New York's team.  But changing the name on a logo isn't the way to do it.  It was just confusing and there were too many different monikers floating around. 

Lesson Learned...

Orlando Sentienel: UCF eager to be embraced as Orlando’s hometown team

" UCF athletics director Danny White is planting the Knights’ flag firmly throughout the Orlando metro area.

The Knights unveiled a new initiative Tuesday with a familiar theme, touting UCF as Orlando’s hometown team.

We believe that we very much should be known as Orlando’s hometown team,” White said.

football-hometown-team.jpg

hometown-court.png

Edited by dutchcountry7

8 hours ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Lesson Learned...

Orlando Sentienel: UCF eager to be embraced as Orlando’s hometown team

" UCF athletics director Danny White is planting the Knights’ flag firmly throughout the Orlando metro area.

The Knights unveiled a new initiative Tuesday with a familiar theme, touting UCF as Orlando’s hometown team.

We believe that we very much should be known as Orlando’s hometown team,” White said.

football-hometown-team.jpg

hometown-court.png

The difference between UCF and UB is in Florida there are two massive, popular, well-entrenched public universities with huge followings statewide for their teams. There it makes more sense to look inward to Orlando. In New York state, there are ZERO such institutions. Did you not realize this or were you just ignoring the fact since it weakens your argument?

13 hours ago, promotherobot said:

The difference between UCF and UB is in Florida there are two massive, popular, well-entrenched public universities with huge followings statewide for their teams. There it makes more sense to look inward to Orlando. In New York state, there are ZERO such institutions. Did you not realize this or were you just ignoring the fact since it weakens your argument?

I like how you make the Public school claim as if there is any relevance to that.  That is like saying USC isn't competition that is entrenched in Southern California or Notre Dame isn't competition entrenched in Indiana.  That is like making the claim that FIU can claim all of South Florida because FSU and Florida--the two entrenched programs you mention, are fixtures in the north.  It completely ignores the reality of 'The U' which has dominated Miami for years.  It doesn't matter that FIU is the public school in Miami.  They aren't Miami's program. 

You know that New York, especially upstate New York, has a well-entrenched program, right?  The further you move away from Buffalo, the more entrenched they are.  You want to move into Rochester?  They are pretty entrenched.   You want to move into Syracuse?  That is a lost cause.  You want to move into Albany?  That's even harder than Rochester.  Moving to the Hudson Valley?  Well, Army is the entrenched program there.  (Do they count as public for you or do we pretend they don't exist too?)

Anyone who has spent money on marketing knows that you don't spread your influence (and dollar) thin by trying to market to a vast audience.  You focus on saturating one location and cultivating that.  When you have won over Buffalo (something the program hasn't yet done), you spread out and start to try to win over the Southern Tier, and move to compete in Rochester.  

Your fans being concentrated is your best marketing.  They market to their friends, family, coworkers, and others.  The New York campaign didn't work to draw in Western New York or Buffalo.  It was a hail Mary that wanted to attract people in Queens, Sarasota, Ithaca, and Watertown.  And it did nothing in that regard.

You can't tell me that New York is not entrenched.   Take a look at this college football fan map by the NYTIMES and FACEBOOK.  Turning WNY from white to blue is how you build the program into New York's team. 

ncaa-fb-main-map.png 

Edited by dutchcountry7

Look at the map. 

Don't talk about being Iowa until you're first Iowa State.

Don't talk about being Texas, until you're first Texas A&M or Texas Tech.

Don't talk about being USC, until you're first Fresno State, San Diego State, or Stanford.

Don't talk about being Oklahoma, until you're first Oklahoma State.

Don't talk about being Virginia Tech, until you're first Virginia.

Don't talk about being Penn State, until you're first Pitt.

Don't talk about being Michigan, until you're first Michigan State. 

Don't talk about being Alabama, until you're first Auburn.

Don't talk about claiming New York State, until you can claim Buffalo and Western New York. 

I am confused. 

I agree NYBI was a failed attempt. But everything else put in place has worked out to UB's favor. If we focus on the one mistake made over the many successes, what does that say about us? It makes sense for good talent to leave if we constantly have that mentality. 

The things put in place by White have helped us. If you can't see that, then you are lost.

EDIT

White helped us, and Greene sustained it. Alnutt inherited a great program. Now we will see if he can continue to the next level

Edited by BullsFan14
  • Like 1

Just now, BullsFan14 said:

I am confused. 

I agree NYBI was a failed attempt. But everything else put in place has worked out to UB's favor. If we focus on the one mistake made over the many successes, what does that say about us? It makes sense for good talent to leave if we constantly have that mentality. 

The things put in place by White have helped us. If you can't see that, then you are lost.

White had some great hires.  I agree with that.

But a few people act like he was a God and constantly bring him up as if those were the glory days.  He is long gone and a lot of what he did was wasted money and lead to a lack of progress.  

He did some things well--like hiring some coaches--and did other things poorly.

While the hiring of coaches is something the public notices, those aren't the things that build a program because without everything else in place you can't scale the program and keep the good hires from being poached.  It has been the problem with MAC/Mid-Major/G5 programs for years.  Getting a good coach and a few good seasons isn't rare.  The rare thing is scaling a program and that requires a lot of things that the public doesn't notice nearly as much as the coaching hires.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

White had some great hires.  I agree with that.

But a few people act like he was a God and constantly bring him up as if those were the glory days.  He is long gone and a lot of what he did was wasted money and lead to a lack of progress.  

He did some things well--like hiring some coaches--and did other things poorly.

While the hiring of coaches is something the public notices, those aren't the things that build a program because without everything else in place you can't scale the program and keep the good hires from being poached.  It has been the problem with MAC/Mid-Major/G5 programs for years.  Getting a good coach and a few good seasons isn't rare.  The rare thing is scaling a program and that requires a lot of things that the public doesn't notice nearly as much as the coaching hires.

Glory days? We are in the Glory Days right now!!!!!!!! If anyone disagrees, I would be surprised.

But Athletics also saw the largest philanthropic support it has ever had under Danny White. And that was back when the programs were not as successful as as they are now. You have to admit he was a good hype man. He brought in people that otherwise have not been involved. He was building the ground roots to create a large program. The NYBI is what threw it off with the community. Once ONE bad thing happens people latch on. (Don't believe me? Just wait to UB Football loses one game and the city of Buffalo does a collective "I told you so, we aren't that good" after our undefeated start no one was expecting)

What do you mean by "other things poorly"? I agree with you that the role out and idea of NYBI was not that great. What else are you alluding to? I read up on things but I am not in the weeds as you are. 

3 minutes ago, BullsFan14 said:

But Athletics also saw the largest philanthropic support it has ever had under Danny White. And that was back when the programs were not as successful as as they are now. You have to admit he was a good hype man. 

What do you mean by "other things poorly"? I agree with you that the role out and idea of NYBI was not that great. What else are you alluding to? I read up on things but I am not in the weeds as you are. 

No point in focusing on the past.

Let's just say that we should not keep brining up Danny White.  Move forward.  Let's talk about things going on now with the program.  Or things in the future.

Bringing him up isn't as great as some people here think and actually alienates some key stakeholders that are vital to the success of these programs going forward.  There is nothing to be gained by speaking about him. 

He was a great hype man.  There is no doubt in that.  But it is important to remember that many hype men over sell and under deliver and if you're one of those people who were on the wrong side of those things it can leave a bad taste in your mouth and make you more reluctant in the future.  

Let's focus on the great football and basketball seasons we are in and stop talking about the ex-ex-Athletic Director. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

No point in focusing on the past.

Let's just say that we should not keep brining up Danny White.  Move forward.  Let's talk about things going on now with the program.  Or things in the future.

Bringing him up isn't as great as some people here think and actually alienates some key stakeholders that are vital to the success of these programs going forward.  There is nothing to be gained by speaking about him. 

He was a great hype man.  There is no doubt in that.  But it is important to remember that many hype men over sell and under deliver and if you're one of those people who were on the wrong side of those things it can leave a bad taste in your mouth and make you more reluctant in the future.  

Let's focus on the great football and basketball seasons we are in and stop talking about the ex-ex-Athletic Director. 

Agreed! Beat Army!