Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

A Thank You

13 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Classy.  Thank you Cierra for your years here.  I only wish that it could  have been 4 full years.

Also thank you Cierra. Watching your play the last two years has been incredible. There are many players who have one part of their game that is outstanding but your game in all facets has been a pleasure to witness. The overall 3’s, the uncanny drives to the basket, the no look passes, the assists, the steals and the leadership and most of all the humble and wonderful person you are. You will be successful in life and hope to see you play in the WNBA. Go Bulls!!!!!

Cierra Dillard made some plays and shots that were unbelievable. The one that sticks in my mind was grabbing a rebound and dribbling once before throwing a three quarter court bounce pass to a streaking teammate for a layup. That play epitomizes unselfishness, blue collar mentality, and flat out teamwork. Good luck, lady.

1 hour ago, squire17 said:

Cierra Dillard made some plays and shots that were unbelievable. The one that sticks in my mind was grabbing a rebound and dribbling once before throwing a three quarter court bounce pass to a streaking teammate for a layup. That play epitomizes unselfishness, blue collar mentality, and flat out teamwork. Good luck, lady.

A shame more fans did not show up for the women’s games the last few years. Shame on the students who gave minimal support what with the size of the student population could not get more than a handful of students to games. It is even worse at Canisiusand Niagara.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Shame on the students who gave minimal support what with the size of the student population could not get more than a handful of students to games.

I'm going to disagree with you first, then agree with you.

I've attended ~90% of the home women's basketball games since 2011-12, when I started at UB.  From when I started to around 2014, there were minimal if any students at women's games.  During the spirit team timeout, the PA announcer would thank "True Blue" but there wouldn't be a single student in the student section.  Since then, the 5 students turned into 10, 10 into 20.  Now, even on break there are students (maybe less than normal) at the women's games.  What has been built is amazing.  So huge credit for the students for turning out.

That being said, we should have better student and public turnout at WBB games.  It's okay that we don't have the women's turnout that men's does - it's unrealistic to expect WBB to outdraw MBB unless we're a UConn or SC.  However we should have averaged more than 1.5k last year, when Toledo averaged 3.4k.

Edited by rma

8 minutes ago, rma said:

I've attended ~90% of the home women's basketball games since 2011-12, when I started at UB.  From when I started to around 2014, there were minimal if any students at women's games.  During the spirit team timeout, the PA announcer would thank Since then, the 5 students turned into 10, 10 into 20.  Now, even on break there are students (maybe less than normal) at the women's games.  What has been built is amazing.  So huge credit for the students for turning out.

That being said, we should have better student and public turnout at WBB games.  It's okay that we don't have the women's turnout that men's does - it's unrealistic to expect WBB to outdraw MBB unless we're a UConn or SC.  However we should have averaged more than 1.5k last year, when Toledo averaged 3.4k.

Depending what happens this off-season, it's reasonable to think that the women's team could out-draw the men's team next year for some games. At the same time, also depending on what happens, it's also reasonable to think that the women's game could go back to crickets.

2 hours ago, rma said:

I've attended ~90% of the home women's basketball games since 2011-12, when I started at UB.  From when I started to around 2014, there were minimal if any students at women's games.  During the spirit team timeout, the PA announcer would thank "True Blue" but there wouldn't be a single student in the student section.  Since then, the 5 students turned into 10, 10 into 20.  Now, even on break there are students (maybe less than normal) at the women's games.  What has been built is amazing.  So huge credit for the students for turning out.

You are kidding right. 20 students????? Shameful for a college of this size. We used o have peer pressure growing up but that probably is not politically correct today??????

3 minutes ago, John said:

You are kidding right. 20 students????? Shameful for a college of this size. We used o have peer pressure growing up but that probably is not politically correct today??????

Well 20ish student section + others that don't sit in the student section + cheer + dazzlers + band (that's doubled or so in size over 5 years).  Should be more, unfortunately a lot of people dismiss women's sports.  The first MAC Championship I witnessed in person was women's soccer.  I didn't care what the sport or gender was.

That team was super fun too, looking back on it.

45 minutes ago, rma said:

Well 20ish student section + others that don't sit in the student section + cheer + dazzlers + band (that's doubled or so in size over 5 years).  Should be more, unfortunately a lot of people dismiss women's sports.  The first MAC Championship I witnessed in person was women's soccer.  I didn't care what the sport or gender was.

That team was super fun too, looking back on it.

Agree. Those were good times. We seen some soccer. We had a nephew on the track team and went to the MAC championships. Those were the best of times and now we are in the worst of times. One step in front of the other.I have always ended my comments with Go Bulls!!!!. I can’t do that now and don’t know if our family will do it again.