Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Speculation

1 minute ago, BasketBull said:

I will say one thing: Cleveland didn't feel special this year - it felt expected. It's awesome to have an amazing team who is the heavy favorite but this is sports and we are fans and adversity makes things more exciting. 

I’ll take expecting to win the MAC over grinding through it every single time it’s available. This year made me realize how jaded I was about previous teams and the talent that I thought we had. This University can support and build a real program and that’s what I want it to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I thought we were in the clear for this off season. We knew he would move on at some point. I thought it was going to be after next season at the earliest. 

Agree. He sure had us all fooled with his sales job.He is like all th other coaches and people in high positions. Their job is the greatest and all the fans are the best. I truly think it could of been toned down about how he wants to build UB into the next Gonzaga and kept talking about all the good recruits coming in. Just another great sales job. Is his house in Grand Island up for sale yet or is it already sold??? Maybe he can donate it and take it off his taxes!!!! The worst part of it is us fans buy into it because “hope springs eternal.”

1 hour ago, dutchcountry7 said:

I thought the opposite.  I was sure he was leaving this year but if he actually returned, I thought that meant he would actually stay for the long term.

Next year was going to be a down year even with him.  This was the time to make the jump.  He is hot right now.  After a down year next year he wouldn't be in as much demand.

Well here we are with women’s basketball. 

2 minutes ago, John said:

Agree. He sure had us all fooled with his sales job.He is like all th other coaches and people in high positions. Their job is the greatest and all the fans are the best. I truly think it could of been toned down about how he wants to build UB into the next Gonzaga and kept talking about all the good recruits coming in. Just another great sales job. Is his house in Grand Island up for sale yet or is it already sold??? Maybe he can donate it and take it off his taxes!!!! The worst part of it is us fans buy into it because “hope springs eternal.”

He invited us to his house this summer. True story

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

He invited us to his house this summer. True story

I hope you took some pictures to remind you of the good ole  days!!!! Hopefully Oats sold the house to UB for $1.00 so Alnutt can give it to the next coach as part of his contract!!!!! Oats can afford it now. Hey is there any water in Alabama for Oats’s boat???? Maybe he can make a man made lake????

14 minutes ago, John said:

I hope you took some pictures to remind you of the good ole  days!!!! Hopefully Oats sold the house to UB for $1.00 so Alnutt can give it to the next coach as part of his contract!!!!! Oats can afford it now. Hey is there any water in Alabama for Oats’s boat???? Maybe he can make a man made lake????

He can hitch a ride on Saban’s yacht.

I will never blame a mid-major coach for leaving for a bigger job with bigger pay and a bigger stage.  Someone is supposed to stunt their career growth and make 3x less money for what?  To keep you, JoeFan happy?  Come on.  Now, not every move up is a GOOD move (Hello Turner Gill), but I would never fault them for it.  Should people call you out for taking a raise and new position at a new company because it will hurt the old company and your old clients' feelings?

1 minute ago, UBigbobby said:

I will never blame a mid-major coach for leaving for a bigger job with bigger pay and a bigger stage.  Someone is supposed to stunt their career growth and make 3x less money for what?  To keep you, JoeFan happy?  Come on.  Now, not every move up is a GOOD move (Hello Turner Gill), but I would never fault them for it.  Should people call you out for taking a raise and new position at a new company because it will hurt the old company and your old clients' feelings?

Did you proposition like you were going to build the next big startup and then leave your company/city/clients high and dry? 

It's a different analogy. He was politicking around town like he was running for mayor. For what? Just do what Hurley did and it would be completely different.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John said:

Lake Tuscaloosa is a thing. I imagine he can but a new boat with his raise

1 minute ago, rma said:
47 minutes ago, John said:

Lake Tuscaloosa is a thing. I imagine he can but a new boat with his raise

Just remember your two happiest days with a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

People getting so in their emotions. Athletics is hard because you generally can't control your: job security, pay, or location. It's not a bank or an accounting firm where you can work hard for 

As a result, you give 100% today, and deal with tomorrow when it comes. It seems to me Oats gave 100% to Buffalo and the idea that he could build it up, until tomorrow came, and he was gone. That's the nature of the game. The alternative is him giving 50-75% to Buffalo while he's here, so he can go to the next place...and that would be worse for us.

My concern as always is that the fanbase is focused on Coaches being all about the future of UB (which is naive) but we don't hold our administrators, (tasked with optimizing both UB Athletics' present and future) to the same standard. 

If we want a coach to truly want to stay at Buffalo, we have to develop and utilize our own talent.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Did you proposition like you were going to build the next big startup and then leave your company/city/clients high and dry? 

It's a different analogy. He was politicking around town like he was running for mayor. For what? Just do what Hurley did and it would be completely different.

Again that is really my point. No one in their right mind would blame someone for taking an upgrade in a job and pay. All I am criticizing is his tone about this team and this community and again I say being happy here with his kids and wife and all the support he received from the fans and wanting to stay here and getting raises the last two years. The problem with all these coaches and people in high profile positions is they get too full of themselves and don’t know when to stop talking. Any fan that knows today’s sports culture knew Oats probably would not be here forever but his sales job made it seem like being here at least another year or two. 

2 minutes ago, John said:

Again that is really my point. No one in their right mind would blame someone for taking an upgrade in a job and pay. All I am criticizing is his tone about this team and this community and again I say being happy here with his kids and wife and all the support he received from the fans and wanting to stay here and getting raises the last two years. The problem with all these coaches and people in high profile positions is they get too full of themselves and don’t know when to stop talking. Any fan that knows today’s sports culture knew Oats probably would not be here forever but his sales job made it seem like being here at least another year or two. 

Gotta agree, with that. With oats sale pitch I thought he would be here much longer. Our team this year was great. But let's be honest if Oats stayed several more years the this team would of turned from great to average. I thought he would stay until we had a few years in a row of top 20 teams then leave for a true blue blood or the NBA. 

4 minutes ago, John said:

People are upset about the bold but should be happy about the bold.

Was he faking this whole time? No. But it does tell future coaches, you'll love it there, your family will love it there, you can win, and you wont regret going to Buffalo. Which is huge compared to 10 years ago, where Buffalo was seen as "a difficult place to live and an impossible place to win"

I love Buffalo but I cannot do what I do in Buffalo, so I don't live there. Oats can love Buffalo but he can't make 2.4 million and compete at the P5 level at Buffalo so he left. Leaving doesn't mean he hates the city.

19 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Here’s the thing...there are currently over 400 kids in the transfer protocol...whoever comes in as coach can get a few of those. We are going to have to bottom out before we can rise again. Good riddance Allen it was nice never knowing you. 

Is he the kid that had the "UB" logo cut into his hair last weekend?   One of the recruits did that on Insta i think.  

I have no problem or ill will towards players who transfer or decommit as a result of a coach leaving. When you commit to a school a large part of why is the coach, their attitude/culture, their offensive and defensive systems, etc. Maybe Andre will end up recommitting after we name a new coach, who knows. 

2 minutes ago, SGBull said:

I have no problem or ill will towards players who transfer or decommit as a result of a coach leaving. When you commit to a school a large part of why is the coach, their attitude/culture, their offensive and defensive systems, etc. Maybe Andre will end up recommitting after we name a new coach, who knows. 

I thought someone told us they stay for the school and education?