Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Speculation

29 minutes ago, John said:

That’s a good observation. you might be on to something!! From here on out let’s not believe anything a coach or someone in any high profile position says. Let’s believe they are all selling us a bill of goods based on their point of view to take advantage of their position. Better yet let’s stop following any sport and listening to people who feed us such a line of crap that the result is we think they are being honest. I do not agree with the statement from one person that this is how the business is and people do not want to understand it. Our family knows how this sports business is and it has been brewing for years an we have had enough. Instead of Oats starting off how great all is start by saying Hey if my dream job comes I am out of here but I m happy here and thanks for all your support and giving me an extension and thanks fans for your support but I am out of here if my dream job comes along. Kudos to all the faithful fans who somehow want to enjoy the game of basketball and continue to support UB or another team. 

You should watch the media scrum interview with Oats after he signed the extension.  That is EXACTLY what he said.  He is happy at UB, his goal isn't to leave and just springboard into any old P5 job.  He would tell his agent to tell schools thanks but no thanks unless it was dream job/major offer you have to listen to.  At no point did he lie or mislead anyone.  He said, "I love it here, my family loves it here, we'd like to stay and build something here.  We will do that unless a can't say no offer comes along that blows us away.  That is exactly what happened and he was up front about that.  People complaining that he lied or mislead are intentionally ignoring the times he said ON THE RECORD that he would entertain can't miss offers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, UBigbobby said:

You should watch the media scrum interview with Oats after he signed the extension.  That is EXACTLY what he said.  He is happy at UB, his goal isn't to leave and just springboard into any old P5 job.  He would tell his agent to tell schools thanks but no thanks unless it was dream job/major offer you have to listen to.  At no point did he lie or mislead anyone.  He said, "I love it here, my family loves it here, we'd like to stay and build something here.  We will do that unless a can't say no offer comes along that blows us away.  That is exactly what happened and he was up front about that.  People complaining that he lied or mislead are intentionally ignoring the times he said ON THE RECORD that he would entertain can't miss offers.

This completely.

People keep ignoring the fact that hes been pretty damn open. I feel emotions are getting the best of people. If people want to hate Oats just because of his salesman vibe, there aint no changing that. But in reality he goes 100% all the time, he went 100% here, and got a really good P5 job.... Pretty cut and dry to me. And now hes going 100% at Bama from the start. And theres no denying that watching him already move on so fast hurts as a fan, but would I expect him to do any less? Hes a go go go type guy and thats why hes so damn good at what he does. These type of people rub people the wrong way. But they are also wildly successful in most areas of life.

I love what he said about Gonzaga of the East blah blah blah in the moment, I loved hearing it. But I never thought for a second he'd turn down 2+ million and a school like Bama. In fact even right after he said that I still thought there was a good chance he'd get poached the better this year finished. Schools aren't just ignoring his resume. Hes not flying under the radar by big school ADs being ranked the entire year at a MAC school and winning first round NCAA games

You can all take guesses that he would leave for Temple tomorrow for 900k or whatever his threshold was but the fact is left for 2+ mil at a big SEC school. Thats actually what he did.

15 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

This completely.

People keep ignoring the fact that hes been pretty damn open. I feel emotions are getting the best of people. If people want to hate Oats just because of his salesman vibe, there aint no changing that. But in reality he goes 100% all the time, he went 100% here, and got a really good P5 job.... Pretty cut and dry to me. And now hes going 100% at Bama from the start. And theres no denying that watching him already move on so fast hurts as a fan, but would I expect him to do any less? Hes a go go go type guy and thats why hes so damn good at what he does. These type of people rub people the wrong way. But they are also wildly successful in most areas of life.

I love what he said about Gonzaga of the East blah blah blah in the moment, I loved hearing it. But I never thought for a second he'd turn down 2+ million and a school like Bama. In fact even right after he said that I still thought there was a good chance he'd get poached the better this year finished. Schools aren't just ignoring his resume. Hes not flying under the radar by big school ADs being ranked the entire year at a MAC school and winning first round NCAA games

You can all take guesses that he would leave for Temple tomorrow for 900k or whatever his threshold was but the fact is left for 2+ mil at a big SEC school. Thats actually what he did.

I think the last part you mentioned is the biggest argument. He gave hints in his bama conference that he was entertaining all open jobs and bama was the best. 

I believe he leaves for UNLV and 1.6m and that's a high mid-major job with a team with a bigger budget, but a worse team.

He also changed his twitter picture, boarded a PJ, took hodgson, took hawkins, and left Buffalo. That's something you do to somewhere you love. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

That’s a good observation. you might be on to something!! From here on out let’s not believe anything a coach or someone in any high profile position says. Let’s believe they are all selling us a bill of goods based on their point of view to take advantage of their position. Better yet let’s stop following any sport and listening to people who feed us such a line of crap that the result is we think they are being honest. I do not agree with the statement from one person that this is how the business is and people do not want to understand it. Our family knows how this sports business is and it has been brewing for years an we have had enough. Instead of Oats starting off how great all is start by saying Hey if my dream job comes I am out of here but I m happy here and thanks for all your support and giving me an extension and thanks fans for your support but I am out of here if my dream job comes along. Kudos to all the faithful fans who somehow want to enjoy the game of basketball and continue to support UB or another team. 

it doesn't exactly have to swing to either extreme, eh?  we could - crazy idea here - use some common sense.  when a coach says he wants to stay, look at what he's doing rather than the only-thing-he-can-say words coming out of his mouth...  what did he do last year?  interview with a couple teams.  what was he doing this year?  well, sure looked like he was interviewing, even before the al gig if he had offers. 

4 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

This completely.

The irony of this whole episode is that Alnutt should not of offered Oats a contract extension and raise which in turn got all the fans excited about Oats staying at least another year or two. How about Oats being upfront with Alnutt and saying all indications are my dream job is coming sooner rather than later with all the job openings that are out there now and in the future. I have a better idea let’s get out of Division 1sports and go Division 2 or 3 and no worries about money or disappointing the fan base. 

1 minute ago, John said:

The irony of this whole episode is that Alnutt should not of offered Oats a contract extension and raise which in turn got all the fans excited about Oats staying at least another year or two. How about Oats being upfront with Alnutt and saying all indications are my dream job is coming sooner rather than later with all the job openings that are out there now and in the future. I have a better idea let’s get out of Division 1sports and go Division 2 or 3 and no worries about money or disappointing the fan base. 

No. Wrong. Without the extension his buyout is WAY less. I’m sorry but I’d rather the team have an extra 300k to work with than protect some fans hurt feelings.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, UB05 said:

No. Wrong. Without the extension his buyout is WAY less. I’m sorry but I’d rather the team have an extra 300k to work with than protect some fans hurt feelings.

Here we go talking about the money issue again. What about what you are doing to the fan base and the players on the team when we feel betrayed. Oh, lets not get personal or emotional!!!Let’s be happy Oats can support his family and have his dream job. What about the dreams and fans that live and die with the team???? Without Hodgson and keeping this team somewhat together we will become like the also fans we were before Hurley/Oats.

1 hour ago, John said:

Here we go talking about the money issue again. What about what you are doing to the fan base and the players on the team when we feel betrayed. Oh, lets not get personal or emotional!!!Let’s be happy Oats can support his family and have his dream job. What about the dreams and fans that live and die with the team???? Without Hodgson and keeping this team somewhat together we will become like the also fans we were before Hurley/Oats.

What does any of this have to do with my point. You blamed Alnutt for signing Oats to an extension, which is crazy. You feel betrayed? Fine. That’s your prerogative. But don’t blame the AD for doing what he could given the circumstances 

13 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Has anyone seen anything about Jeenathan Williams and Ronaldo Segu? Anyone know their status?

I follow both of them on Instagram but that’s about it. Williams hasn’t posted anything relevant. Segu made a post thanking coach oats and saying he loved him. Oats commented back saying he loved him too. That’s about all I can report 

15 hours ago, John said:

I'm sorry, but this is a very bad, selfish, out of touch opinion.  In no world are the emotions of the fans that live and die with a sports team that exists purely for fun and entertainment EVER...EVER worth more than the actual real world earnings of an human being providing for their family and their future.  What you just said is essentially that your "fandom" is worth more than another human's actual financial life.  That's absurd, and I'd encourage you to take a step back and think about that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SGBull said:

Segu posted a couple instagram stories today, one was an old picture of him checking into a UB game. The other he was walking with Jeenathan on campus, both decked out in UB gear. Might not mean anything but hopefully it does. 

That’s nice to see. Graves also posted on Twitter some pictures of him in a UB uniform. Hopefully these guys give the new coach an opportunity to come in and sell them on their vision.

I think the calm these young men are showing is every bit as impressive as the season they just had. In this era teams are as quick to disassemble as form. Our returning players, at least publicly, seem to be patiently waiting out the coaching search. Need some bigs, but next years roster looks pretty darn good otherwise and should still compete for a MAC title if left intact. Hell hath no fury like a Bulls athlete scorned. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, UBminicre said:

Does anyone remember the guys who left with (or because) of the Hurley departure? Nowhere to be found. We all remember the guys who stayed. Graves, Jordan, Segu, Williams would be silly not to think about that outcome, regardless of who becomes coach.

Evans  was the big name. I felt he was wrongly trashed on the message boards for leaving.  How did it work out? Here is an ASU quote... SHANNON’S CAREER IN NUMBERS: Shannon Evans II closed his Sun Devil career as one of the best two-year players in Sun Devil history. He joined James Harden, Jahii Carson and Bobby Lazor as 1,000-point (1,023) Sun Devil two-year scorers, and is the top free throw shooter in Sun Devil history, making 222-of-263 (.844). Among two-year Sun Devils also finished in top-10 in scoring average (15.7/eighth), field goals (317/ninth), free throws made (222/sixth), and assists (256/sixth). His 95 three-pointers made and 256 three-pointers attempted in 2017-18 both ended fourth on the ASU single-season three-point charts.

6 minutes ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Evans  was the big name. I felt he was wrongly trashed on the message boards for leaving.  How did it work out? Here is an ASU quote... SHANNON’S CAREER IN NUMBERS: Shannon Evans II closed his Sun Devil career as one of the best two-year players in Sun Devil history. He joined James Harden, Jahii Carson and Bobby Lazor as 1,000-point (1,023) Sun Devil two-year scorers, and is the top free throw shooter in Sun Devil history, making 222-of-263 (.844). Among two-year Sun Devils also finished in top-10 in scoring average (15.7/eighth), field goals (317/ninth), free throws made (222/sixth), and assists (256/sixth). His 95 three-pointers made and 256 three-pointers attempted in 2017-18 both ended fourth on the ASU single-season three-point charts.

He also took O'Field and Graham who decommitted from UB when Hurley left

Graham had a good season there- Second in scoring in the PAC-12. O’Field never really panned out. Still, Buffalo teams accomplished more than Arizona St in that timeframe, and Evans wound up ultimately in the same place he would have by finishing at UB- playing professionally overseas.

I think the players who are here (Williams, Segu and Graves) posting things with their UB gear is a positive sign.  I mean, they certainly were recruited to play bball for Oats at Buffalo.  Both of those things.  So Oats is gone, but Buffalo is not.  They have lives here and are getting an education.  And the team is still pretty darn good w/o Oats.  Sure...we lost players from graduation and will lose some of the recruits, but the cupboard isn't bare

I am 1000% excited for Graves and think he can be in the conversation for MAC POTY as either a junior or senior.  And, of course, Williams and Segu have a lot of talent, so I am excited to see how they develop. 

Go Bulls!

Edited by UB92
homonyms
  • Like 2

On 3/29/2019 at 12:20 PM, Kevin said:

He also changed his twitter picture, boarded a PJ, took hodgson, took hawkins, and left Buffalo. That's something you do to somewhere you love. 

You also don’t fly down with Nate if you’re still employed by UB, committed to the athletes still in Buffalo, and making the statement that you’re committed to Buffalo, the recruits, and are the best man to take over the program. 

You know you have the Alabama offer as an assistant to fall back on, you should be focused on your job at UB and selling that fact if you’re actually committed to UB and want to lead them in the future.

The whole staff deserted the team when they were in crisis.  

4 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

You also don’t fly down with Nate if you’re still employed by UB, committed to the athletes still in Buffalo, and making the statement that you’re committed to Buffalo, the recruits, and are the best man to take over the program. 

You know you have the Alabama offer as an assistant to fall back on, you should be focused on your job at UB and selling that fact if you’re actually committed to UB and want to lead them in the future.

The whole staff deserted the team when they were in crisis.  

I wouldn't bundle "the whole staff" in that statement. 

• Like 1