Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Speculation

9 hours ago, ButlerAlumDad said:

Evans  was the big name. I felt he was wrongly trashed on the message boards for leaving.  How did it work out? Here is an ASU quote... SHANNON’S CAREER IN NUMBERS: Shannon Evans II closed his Sun Devil career as one of the best two-year players in Sun Devil history. He joined James Harden, Jahii Carson and Bobby Lazor as 1,000-point (1,023) Sun Devil two-year scorers, and is the top free throw shooter in Sun Devil history, making 222-of-263 (.844). Among two-year Sun Devils also finished in top-10 in scoring average (15.7/eighth), field goals (317/ninth), free throws made (222/sixth), and assists (256/sixth). His 95 three-pointers made and 256 three-pointers attempted in 2017-18 both ended fourth on the ASU single-season three-point charts.

Evans deserved any trashing he received.  Not because he left, but because of the way he handled it.  He fired the first shot.

4 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

Evans deserved any trashing he received.  Not because he left, but because of the way he handled it.  He fired the first shot.

His stats were inflated a bit as he played high minutes and was Bobby's boy, given the green light to fire away at any time. That being said, he had a solid 2 seasons there, but we were better off without once he left.

20 minutes ago, rma said:

Segu followed La Salle assistant on Twitter.  No point guards on the roster currently at La Salle.

Woof, probably the perfect talent level, but i saw they got a waiver on their starting PG, but yeah he'd be eligible for three years anyway, lower A10 sounds right for him

18 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Woof, probably the perfect talent level, but i saw they got a waiver on their starting PG, but yeah he'd be eligible for three years anyway, lower A10 sounds right for him

Whoa! Chucking the nucleus...

To say nothing of slighting the A10. Let’s check this out in 10 months.

Edited by squire17

36 minutes ago, Kevin said:

??? People are downgrading Segu now? He'll be a fine MAC PG and all-conference quality as a senior. Kid is a skilled gamer with tons of heart.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Players are pissed off about Oats leaving without even addressing them

I’m still very surprised by this. Can’t believe Oats went on recruiting trips without addressing his team. There really is no excuse for it. I still want to believe that Oats was a high character guy. 

Players must feel so used. He basically used these kids to get millions. Oats ditching the school and fans is one thing, but the kids? Uggh

I’m not a bash the NCAA guy but there is just something really wrong about this. Big name guys like Durant and LeBron are really vocal about this issue and I see their point more and more.  I can see why they don’t see taking money as an issue. Everyone else around them is making money off of them. 

2 minutes ago, admin said:

Everyone else around them is making money off of them. 

This is probably new topic territory, but I don't see a perfect way of doing it.  Let players sell their autographs and the bagman for LSU is dropping $10k for some autographs.  Pay the players - you need to pay everybody.  The 5* QB that's risking millions by playing in the Rose Bowl gets the same pay check as the track and field athlete that sees a few people cheer him on at his meet.  Mid major athletics dies and the divide between huge budget programs and those with smaller budgets gets wider.

I wish the system was better, but don't know how it gets fixed.

17 minutes ago, rma said:

This is probably new topic territory, but I don't see a perfect way of doing it.  Let players sell their autographs and the bagman for LSU is dropping $10k for some autographs.  Pay the players - you need to pay everybody.  The 5* QB that's risking millions by playing in the Rose Bowl gets the same pay check as the track and field athlete that sees a few people cheer him on at his meet.  Mid major athletics dies and the divide between huge budget programs and those with smaller budgets gets wider.

I wish the system was better, but don't know how it gets fixed.

Let the players make money off of them self's.

The english major with a full ride can publish a best seller. Will still have that full ride. 

3 minutes ago, everlast2504 said:

Let the players make money off of them self's.

The english major with a full ride can publish a best seller. Will still have that full ride. 

The problem with this is the boosters at the blue bloods will just pay a kid 500k for an autographed photo and all of a sudden everything that’s great about college sports is gone.

1 minute ago, UB05 said:

The problem with this is the boosters at the blue bloods will just pay a kid 500k for an autographed photo and all of a sudden everything that’s great about college sports is gone.

There are so many issues that would come with paying student athletes. But I think we shouldn't get too sidetracked by that, it is OT and based on how this board has been in the past week we could argue for days about it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, admin said:

I’m still very surprised by this. Can’t believe Oats went on recruiting trips without addressing his team. There really is no excuse for it. I still want to believe that Oats was a high character guy. 

Players must feel so used. He basically used these kids to get millions. Oats ditching the school and fans is one thing, but the kids? Uggh

I’m not a bash the NCAA guy but there is just something really wrong about this. Big name guys like Durant and LeBron are really vocal about this issue and I see their point more and more.  I can see why they don’t see taking money as an issue. Everyone else around them is making money off of them. 

It’s sad because these coaches become like another father figure in their lives. It’s more than just another coach to them, they get close with these coaching staff members. Then they pull this and it leaves a lot of players not only mad but heartbroken. It’s disgusting and people will defend it by saying it’s just business, but that’s bad business.

By all means go take a bigger paycheck elsewhere if you’ve earned the ability to, but at least have the class and decency to say goodbye and thank the players that essentially made them relevant enough to get that pay raise. 

Complete lack of class, and then “Mr. Say All The Right Things” has some half-assed press conference that briefly explains his decision to leave these players without a second thought. Without the players he’s coached he would still be selling hot Cheetos and teaching math classes.

41 minutes ago, admin said:

I try not to use social media for madvertising, but in this case, it had to be said. 

This seems to contradict what Oats just posted, that he addressed team face to face. Any clarification here on why this "had to be said?"