Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Transfer Speculation

14 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I thought someone told us they stay for the school and education?  

That was me.  Not every kid is going to a school for the education it offers.  I said that some will stay committed if they are sold on the academics of a particular school.  If academically they see all the schools the same then the education factor is irrelevant to them.

2 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

That was me.  Not every kid is going to a school for the education it offers.  I said that some will stay committed if they are sold on the academics of a particular school.  If academically they see all the schools the same then the education factor is irrelevant to them.

My opinion is the majority of these kids go to the school because of the basketball. They can still get an education and I still think that is what colleges do and of course provide tudors for all these high profile athletes. Let’s see someone is going to pick UB over Duke or Virginia because of the education!!!!!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

My opinion is the majority of these kids go to the school because of the basketball. They can still get an education and I still think that is what colleges do and of course provide tudors for all these high profile athletes. Let’s see someone is going to pick UB over Duke or Virginia because of the education!!!!!!

Exactly.

I'd say close to 1% would choose a school based on education, and certainly not high major players.

2 hours ago, bull_trojan said:

People getting so in their emotions. Athletics is hard because you generally can't control your: job security, pay, or location. It's not a bank or an accounting firm where you can work hard for 

As a result, you give 100% today, and deal with tomorrow when it comes. It seems to me Oats gave 100% to Buffalo and the idea that he could build it up, until tomorrow came, and he was gone. That's the nature of the game. The alternative is him giving 50-75% to Buffalo while he's here, so he can go to the next place...and that would be worse for us.

Kinda love this quote. People seem to go in two different directions about Oats. They are mad that he was "politicking" and being a salesman only to leave the next day. 

I still see it like Tojan has said it., I love that he went 100% til the last minute. Hes a give it all guy and that can rub you the wrong way when it turns south. 

Just look how fast hes 100%ing with Bama? Seems like hes been non stop with interviews and recruit visits. To us fans it seems like the GF you had for a long time that moved on the next day while you're still feeling it.

I get it. Its probably Oats most polarizing characteristic, but Im glad he went 100% til the last second, and sold the program that way too. No issue with that. He doesn't owe us turning down a job worth 3x the salary and huge jump resources and program. The only things Id actually want from him a little tip of the cap on the way out for the community. Otherwise he doesn't owe us anything else IMO. All that being said Im not going to sit here idolizing Oats, Im on to what UB is going to do next.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

Kinda love this quote. People seem to go in two different directions about Oats. They are mad that he was "politicking" and being a salesman only to leave the next day. 

I still see it like Tojan has said it., I love that he went 100% til the last minute. Hes a give it all guy and that can rub you the wrong way when it turns south. 

Just look how fast hes 100%ing with Bama? Seems like hes been non stop with interviews and recruit visits. To us fans it seems like the GF you had for a long time that moved on the next day while you're still feeling it.

I get it. Its probably Oats most polarizing characteristic, but Im glad he went 100% til the last second, and sold the program that way too. No issue with that.

Can we agree to more sales pitches though? You can do with it as you please, but he sharked his way to Alabama.

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Can we agree to more sales pitches though? You can do with it as you please, but he sharked his way to Alabama.

Quote seems like honest Oats.

There was just never a doubt in my mind with how damn good of a season UB had, being ranked etc that more than 1 P5 school was going to be licking its chops.

We only know Bama... and there is probably a reason Bama moved so damn fast after we lost. They knew more schools were coming as soon as they had the chance. Maybe we just didn't want to think Oats may have been the hottest name in the country for P5s with openings. Not sure why we would think that way.

There was just no way we were going to survive this year as much as we bought in.

1 minute ago, xDerekRx said:

Quote seems like honest Oats.

There was just never a doubt in my mind with how damn good of a season UB had, being ranked etc that more than 1 P5 school was going to be licking its chops.

We only know Bama... and there is probably a reason Bama moved so damn fast after we lost. They knew more schools were coming as soon as they had the chance. 

There was just no way we were going to survive this year as much as we bought in.

We think we know what honest oats is? we have no idea. 

the point is "dream job" was any job that paid more than 850k. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

To me Oats is a guy who is 75% salesman but also 25% pretty open, even if the open stuff he says gets caught in the sales wash. It wasn't like he and AD didn't let hints go that this could happen.

As far as the dream job part. Bama is a legit job. And I guess we will never know if he would have left for like TCU or Seton Hall level?? Thats the only way I can make an opinion on that part. WOULD he have jumped for a job in the A-10? or a Xavier? Was Hurley going to leave for Depaul if it was his only offer? I dnno

2 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Wasn't the UNLV job that he turned down 1.something million? Didn't he remove himself from consideration for Pitt last year? I'm sure that was north of $1 mil

1.6M and I dont believe he was picked in front of Jeff Capel but no one knows for sure. 

Oats references other jobs that he was considering. Assuming UNLV was declined for Alabama but he would have taken it if no other offers.

"There are some other jobs that are open that are really high-level basketball jobs. We weren't sure we wanted to raise our family in those cities. Everything kind of came together on this one."

30 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

As far as the dream job part. Bama is a legit job. And I guess we will never know if he would have left for like TCU or Seton Hall level?? Thats the only way I can make an opinion on that part. WOULD he have jumped for a job in the A-10? or a Xavier? Was Hurley going to leave for Depaul if it was his only offer? I dnno

yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.  ;D

6 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Wasn't the UNLV job that he turned down 1.something million? Didn't he remove himself from consideration for Pitt last year? I'm sure that was north of $1 mil

no, he didn't remove himself from pitt consideration - he interviewed and didn't get the offer.  he interviewed somewhere else last year too with no offer iirc. if he had an offer from pitt, he would've been there this year.  i don't think there's been any information whatsoever that oats turned down unlv (or was offered anything from unlv)., other than a tweet.

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

1.6M and I dont believe he was picked in front of Jeff Capel but no one knows for sure. 

Oats references other jobs that he was considering. Assuming UNLV was declined for Alabama but he would have taken it if no other offers.

"There are some other jobs that are open that are really high-level basketball jobs. We weren't sure we wanted to raise our family in those cities. Everything kind of came together on this one."

oats references other jobs that were open, not other jobs he was considering.  this one "coming together" may just be this one "was the only one actually offering me money."

2 hours ago, SGBull said:

The only kids that I would bet on choosing a school based on the education are the players in the Ivy league. Then maybe a few other schools like Stanford.

How about schools in the Patriot Conference? I’d put them in the same category with the Ivies: Education is important.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

The guy is making $2.4 million. He was making 60k seven years ago. Oats did a phenomenal  job at UB. He’s entitled to anything he can get. Saying that his “dream job” was any job that paid more than 850k is disingenuous at best. Give the guy a break, will you?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, squire17 said:

The guy is making $2.4 million. He was making 60k seven years ago. Oats did a phenomenal  job at UB. He’s entitled to anything he can get. Saying that his “dream job” was any job that paid more than 850k is disingenuous at best. Give the guy a break, will you?

All I'm going off of is his comments. 

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

All I'm going off of is his comments. 

I don’t like that he left. Never thought he would leave this year. As someone else already posted what was he supposed to say? ‘I can’t wait to make more money’? The notion that college athletics is a pure model of amateurism is laughable. Don’t you think the lion’s share of professors are green with envy at the colossal salaries that the jocks are commanding? But it is what it is. Oats would have been a fool or a saint (perhaps they are the same thing) to walk away from this offer. Forget him. Time to move on and get UB back on track.

55 minutes ago, squire17 said:

I don’t like that he left. Never thought he would leave this year. As someone else already posted what was he supposed to say? ‘I can’t wait to make more money’? The notion that college athletics is a pure model of amateurism is laughable. Don’t you think the lion’s share of professors are green with envy at the colossal salaries that the jocks are commanding? But it is what it is. Oats would have been a fool or a saint (perhaps they are the same thing) to walk away from this offer. Forget him. Time to move on and get UB back on track.

I agree with most of this, especially the latter portion. 

I think the thing we've said is that he just didn't need to go around politicking and coming up with 50 reasons why he was staying. "rec center", "doctors", "Daughters", "Highschool", "Gonzaga of the East". Do your thing, answer your questions, and take the first P5 job that you like. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, xDerekRx said:

I get it. Its probably Oats most polarizing characteristic, but Im glad he went 100% til the last second, and sold the program that way too. No issue with that. He doesn't owe us turning down a job worth 3x the salary and huge jump resources and program. The only things Id actually want from him a little tip of the cap on the way out for the community. Otherwise he doesn't owe us anything else IMO. All that being said Im not going to sit here idolizing Oats, Im on to what UB is going to do next.

Athletics is hard. You can’t control your job security, location etc. Whew I really feel sorry for these coaches who are making $100,000’s up to millions. This is just like the old boys club in the NFL. You take new jobs, get fired and get another job interview, have some good years and get a raise or take another job for millions. Some of these coaches get moving expenses, homes to live in. The people you should feel bad about are the fans making 20-30 thousand a year and supporting these teams that have coaches moving and leaving teams to pick up the pieces. I am done with the prima donas and the millionaires but I know let’s let our personal emotions enter into it!!!!

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I agree with most of this, especially the latter portion. 

I think the thing we've said is that he just didn't need to go around politicking and coming up with 50 reasons why he was staying. "rec center", "doctors", "Daughters", "Highschool", "Gonzaga of the East". Do your thing, answer your questions, and take the first P5 job that you like. 

I get it. Here’s what I think. Everyone knew that Hurley got the Buffalo job because of his name. He had no coaching experience. If his horses had panned out, he would have never returned to hoops. He was arrogant. He wasn’t that great of a coach. Then after 2 years he left. Good riddance, azwhol!

Then Oats. Aw shucks, I’m in love with you folks! Shoot, I love you because you are blue collar. So am I! And...he’s the real deal! He’s great! He beats Miller! and Huggins and Boeheim AND Hurley!! We fall in love with Oats! He says he and his family, aw shucks, love us! But..but..but...Two point Four Smackers! 

We don’t like it that Oats left because we loved him. But he’s gone, so you better find somebody to love.

• Like 1